Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers mate, certainly think the first two pints have merit. I‘d like to think 3 is not the case, these guys have enough games under their belts and god help us if the fourth is playing on players minds.

4th not consciously playing on minds but it’s an ingrained habit/culture of gold stars for trying, and gifting games to young guys that takes a while to shift.

unbelievable.
but lets be honest, it's completely believable, because this is what we've been dished up for 20 years and we're completely conditioned to expect it. Cant defend a 27 point lead.
pathetic.

out - Williams (awful), Pitto, jsos (inj), Owies (yes he kicked a couple of goals, but just does not contribute enough)
in - Kennedy (can play some forward, some mid), SPS, TDK, Honey

Last edited by a moderator:
unbelievable.
but lets be honest, it's completely believable, because this is what we've been dished up for 20 years and we're completely conditioned to expect it. Cant defend a 27 point lead.
pathetic.

out - Williams (awful), Pitto, jsos (inj), Owies (yes he kicked a couple of goals, but just does not contribute enough)
in - Kennedy (can play some forward, some mid), SPS, TDK, Honey

Can’t drop Owies after 5 goals in 2 games.

I’m not convinced he’s the answer long term, but applies pressure and has a crack and has converted.

Kennedy won’t play another AFL game unless we have an injury crisis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just watched the replay, we lost control of the midfield.....just couldn't get clean possession. Williams does not look right, labouring and not keeping his feet. Cripps was really poor. The worst i have seen actually. Cuningham was 'almost' there but just a bit off.

I thought forwards looked good today. Backline was reasonable, with weitering and docherty outstanding. Jones and parks were reasonable too.

Bit disappointed to not see setters or dow named in best for reserves. We definetly need another mid to come in. Is TDK ready to replace Pitto?

We are close, but our offensive game plan relies on us winning the contested ball and we were poor in the 2nd half. Our transition wasnt too bad.

Cheers mate, certainly think the first two pints have merit. I‘d like to think 3 is not the case, these guys have enough games under their belts and god help us if the fourth is playing on players minds.

After tonight's match, two pints definitely have merit!!!

Let's try and maintain an ounce of positivity here.

We have played:
Round 1 - Richmond (Premiers 2020) - L25
Round 2 - Collingwood (Semi-Finalists 2020) - L21
Round 3 - Fremantle (4-2 2021) - W45
Round 4 - Gold Coast - W11
Round 5 - Port Adelaide (Preliminary Finalists 2020) - L28
Round 6 - Brisbane Lions (Preliminary Finalists 2020) - L18

We have played 4 of the top 6 teams from 2020 in our first six games. We have one of the most depressing injury lists in the AFL with at least 7 players OUT in our best 27 players (best 22 + SUB + EMG). We have won the two games "we should have won" - however the Freo win is looking better and better every week.

I am under no illusion that we are playing at the level we are capable of but we must not give up hope in round 6 of a very long year. Forget about the media bashing we will receive - just block that out. Know that this season is far from over and that we still have a big chance to make this season a success.
Round 1 - Richmond (Premiers 2020) - L25
Round 2 - Collingwood (Semi-Finalists 2020) - L21
Round 3 - Fremantle (4-2 2021) - W45
Round 4 - Gold Coast - W11
Round 5 - Port Adelaide (Preliminary Finalists 2020) - L28
Round 6 - Brisbane Lions (Preliminary Finalists 2020) - L18
Round 7 - Essendon - W16
Round 8 - Western Bulldogs (6-1 2021) - L16

We just need a scalp against a top team. Melbourne this week is another chance. Players can't start losing their confidence, we just need to work harder off the ball and have some bloody composure with it. Not everything has to be full speed at all times. No wonder we looked dead in Q4.

4th not consciously playing on minds but it’s an ingrained habit/culture of gold stars for trying, and gifting games to young guys that takes a while to shift.

THere’s a couple of things for me outside of game plan which I think has a big question mark on it at this point, one is positional and the other is who is playing and who should be playing.

Given the responsibility for the above doesn’t lie with the players I’m willing to back them for a bit longer.

I think all three need to be tweeked at the least and if the coaching panel can’t get it done then they need to go. I would say for some of the longer serving ones the message to the players could be getting old. Happy to back Teague for now along the lines of a Hardwick like renaissance but cant’t go on like this for much longer.

Stocker and Fogarty made some pretty costly mistakes...

But they are both kids and they will do that. Painful but forgivable.

What is unforgivable is the captain not showing up for pretty much the whole season. I don't know what's wrong with him, but I do know something isn't right. Either he's checked out or under too much pressure mentally at home and work and it's all getting a bit too much...

Zac Williams, seriously this guy is taking the piss. He's taking the absolute piss out of this club and its members.

Levi Casboult... fmd mate this guy has got to go... but no matter what, he takes his spot every week... Oh yeah.. "structure" We got absolutely slaughtered in centre clearances so as a chop out, it pretty much didn't matter. He didn't kick any goals again either. He gives away dumb free kicks, he makes dumb decisions, he plods around.. I said it earlier... as a limited footballer he gave his all and got the most out of himself, but now he is a heavily declined, limited footballer. Having him out there is costing us dearly.

Pitto is seriously not AFL standard. Can't ruck at AFL level when you - haven't got any leap, haven't got any versatility, don't take enough marks... he tries hard but that's about it.

These are meant to be senior players, leading the way instead they're a liability.

Here's a fun fact, Sam Walsh got the same amount of disposals as Cripps and Williams combined... 24. Let that sink in...

Levi Casboult... fmd mate this guy has got to go... but no matter what, he takes his spot every week...
...because he's a club man, and he's being asked to do it despite being injured. He's there because TDK couldn't be, and we have no other even part-time ruck options on the list. The alternative is Pittonet rucking four quarters which we all know he can't do. Don't blame Levi, blame the club for only having two rucks on the list.

He's held the fort for TDK and now he can take a break and get his knee right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t drop Owies after 5 goals in 2 games.

I’m not convinced he’s the answer long term, but applies pressure and has a crack and has converted.

Kennedy won’t play another AFL game unless we have an injury crisis.
I agree with the top comment and disagree wtih the next 2. Owies came in to replace Murphy. Murphy has kicked 5 goals in 6 games as a small forward. Owies has kicked 5 goals in 2 games... as you noted. I reckon that he is keeping Murphy out of the team on merit.

I kinda hate to point this out to you, but we do have a slight injury crisis going on right now in our forward line. Our two front line medium forwards are both out... one for another 7-9 weeks and Jack is going to miss a week because of the concussion protocol. Kennedy has performed well as a lead up medium forward in the past and I reckon he might get the nod... mainly because we don't have anyone else.

Stocker and Fogarty made some pretty costly mistakes...

But they are both kids and they will do that. Painful but forgivable.

What is unforgivable is the captain not showing up for pretty much the whole season. I don't know what's wrong with him, but I do know something isn't right. Either he's checked out or under too much pressure mentally at home and work and it's all getting a bit too much...

Zac Williams, seriously this guy is taking the piss. He's taking the absolute piss out of this club and its members.

Levi Casboult... fmd mate this guy has got to go... but no matter what, he takes his spot every week... Oh yeah.. "structure" We got absolutely slaughtered in centre clearances so as a chop out, it pretty much didn't matter. He didn't kick any goals again either. He gives away dumb free kicks, he makes dumb decisions, he plods around.. I said it earlier... as a limited footballer he gave his all and got the most out of himself, but now he is a heavily declined, limited footballer. Having him out there is costing us dearly.

Pitto is seriously not AFL standard. Can't ruck at AFL level when you - haven't got any leap, haven't got any versatility, don't take enough marks... he tries hard but that's about it.

These are meant to be senior players, leading the way instead they're a liability.

Here's a fun fact, Sam Walsh got the same amount of disposals as Cripps and Williams combined... 24. Let that sink in...
You slam Casboult, when you know he is playing injured, and then in the very next paragraph, you slate the only other fit ruckman we've had so far this season... WTF do you want.

I'm just going to put it down to an embarrassing knee jerk reation to a loss that shouldn't have been.

You slam Casboult, when you know he is playing injured, and then in the very next paragraph, you slate the only other fit ruckman we've had so far this season... WTF do you want.

I'm just going to put it down to an embarrassing knee jerk reation to a loss that shouldn't have been.

I'll tell you WTF I want... proper list management so we're not forced to play these plodders.

Just because they're the only two capable of playing ruck doesn't mean they get a pass no matter what.

The only thing embarrassing is you thinking that Levi's output is due to injury.

...because he's a club man, and he's being asked to do it despite being injured. He's there because TDK couldn't be, and we have no other even part-time ruck options on the list. The alternative is Pittonet rucking four quarters which we all know he can't do. Don't blame Levi, blame the club for only having two rucks on the list.

How do you know he’s injured? What is the injury?

Pitto is going to make way for TDK, not Levi. That I can assure you.

I do blame the club for list mismanagement too btw.

But Levi needs to be held accountable.

How do you know he’s injured? What is the injury?
It was released earlier in the year that Levi has an ongoing knee issue he's been dealing with for years.

Though this year it seems to either be worse, or he can't play through it as well anymore. Not a knock on him, he is the wrong side of 30 and is a big man, it was bound to happen eventually. Seems it's gotten to a point now where it's got the best of him.

The issue at the moment, and this is just my opinion, is that both Casboult and Pittornet are probably not good enough in their respective roles to be playing in our best 22. But, we only have TDK coming back as a tall option. Looking likely that only one will stay in the team - for me I'd rather Pitto, but preferably Curnow would take that other spot.

Back