Autopsy Losing a home game at the Gabba - round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Y
Didn't get to watch the game live. Watching the replay without any emotion in it knowing the result...

They would have still been ahead at half time but we definitely got rooted by the umpires in the first half.

Brayshaw not getting rewarded with a holding the ball... They get a goal.

Adams getting done cold right in front of our goals after breaking the first tackle. Play on.

Robinson being a dick and getting away with it. And then getting awarded two frees in a row for less than what he did. Ends in a goal against.

Walters getting his head taken off near goals. Play on.

Also didn't realise how much of a bunch of w***ers the Brisbane players are until now. The constant pointing and trying to self umpire? What a bunch of arrogant tossers.

The booing by the crowd given the clear rub of the green in their favour was pretty funny though.

On to the second half...
Yes
It's like I don't even want to mention the umpiring when we lose for fear it's a band aid excuse , but F me if there wasn't a whole bunch of biased and ordinary decisions throughout that game
Any idea where to find the game day stats ?

Much better than I had expected. Missing most of our first choice back 6. People underestimate continuity. Teams that go deep in September generally keep most of the same 25 players for most of the season & in the back line particularly you need a core group that learn to work together & anticipate each other. Last year we had Ryan, Cox, Hughes, Conca together most weeks & they built a real synergy. This year has been a cobble together every week.
We’re playing guys like Tucker, Lobb, Logue, Duman, Tabs who are short of a gallop & it shows. Walters is out of form, Fyfe has the yips, Crowden & Shultz are inconsistent but most of all we’re being forced into changes every week through injury & can’t get continuity going.
Considering all that & up against one of the best sides we did ok.
Biggest positive for me was Darcy & how well Blakely played. He reminded me of when he was 18 playing WAFL. A contested beast & he finally seemed to stop panicking & made some great decisions with the ball. He starts next week for mine.
Get Cerra, Ryan back, bring Treacy in, keep playing Henry. And just hope we can get continuity for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found ESPN for stats
Is that one of the better ones ?
Not usually my thing but wanted to see free kick count
Was 11-16 for this game

Yep seriously
I don't like knocking Fyfe in any way , can even deal with his hair .
But his goal kicking, for a player of his calibre , is now bordering on comical.
Like MM said , he kicks that sitter while we are on a roll the momentum keeps going .
He doesn't
View attachment 1123111
He needs to speak to a sports phsyc.
Can kick them every day of the week but in front of a crowd he gets the yips. Mundy & Walters are the only players who can consitently kick goals.
I don't feel good about any other player marking in the forward 50m.
It is rediculous.

Was watching part of Jlo's very calm , very considered presser response on the news headlines and couldn't help but think
" Jeez I'm glad he's not a reactionary , overly emotional , dummy spitting , fold the club ......." type like most of us on here .
Ha ha. What a great post.

I hate to be pessimistic but idk why people are so content with our loss? If we play like that against Essendon they will spank us. More importantly we are chasing some very significant signatures at the end of this season. How many more 'honourable' losses can we take before we start losing talent?

Didn't get to watch the game live. Watching the replay without any emotion in it knowing the result...

They would have still been ahead at half time but we definitely got rooted by the umpires in the first half.

Brayshaw not getting rewarded with a holding the ball... They get a goal.

Adams getting done cold right in front of our goals after breaking the first tackle. Play on.

Robinson being a dick and getting away with it. And then getting awarded two frees in a row for less than what he did. Ends in a goal against.

Walters getting his head taken off near goals. Play on.

Also didn't realise how much of a bunch of w***ers the Brisbane players are until now. The constant pointing and trying to self umpire? What a bunch of arrogant tossers.

The booing by the crowd given the clear rub of the green in their favour was pretty funny though.

On to the second half...
since 2019 I haven't been able to stand Brisbane fans. Bris fans didn't stick by them through the tough times and no one cared about them then all of a sudden they started winning and everyone returned. They have absolutely no knowledge on the game, listening to that crowd was worse than an eagles crowd.

Bris fans didn't stick by them through the tough times and no one cared about them then all of a sudden they started winning and everyone returned.

Sounds like the same noises quite a few have been making on here lately to be honest.

Much better than I had expected. Missing most of our first choice back 6. People underestimate continuity. Teams that go deep in September generally keep most of the same 25 players for most of the season & in the back line particularly you need a core group that learn to work together & anticipate each other. Last year we had Ryan, Cox, Hughes, Conca together most weeks & they built a real synergy. This year has been a cobble together every week.
We’re playing guys like Tucker, Lobb, Logue, Duman, Tabs who are short of a gallop & it shows. Walters is out of form, Fyfe has the yips, Crowden & Shultz are inconsistent but most of all we’re being forced into changes every week through injury & can’t get continuity going.
Considering all that & up against one of the best sides we did ok.
Biggest positive for me was Darcy & how well Blakely played. He reminded me of when he was 18 playing WAFL. A contested beast & he finally seemed to stop panicking & made some great decisions with the ball. He starts next week for mine.
Get Cerra, Ryan back, bring Treacy in, keep playing Henry. And just hope we can get continuity for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, pretty much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To all the posters on here deriding the coach and team and dropping their bundle. How do you compare our performance against Brisbane when the Tigers dish up a 10 goal defeat to the Cats? Even 'good' sides have down days and as Darcy said after the match they are and need to be focussed on putting in 4 quarters. Four quarter performances are an achilles heel of young and injured sides.

The expectation of fans of all teams in AFL is unrealistic, footy is a grueling sport. Teams are simply not going to be winning every game and a loss does not mean the sky is falling, still 66% of the season to go. Sheez...

He needs to speak to a sports phsyc.
Can kick them every day of the week but in front of a crowd he gets the yips. Mundy & Walters are the only players who can consitently kick goals.
I don't feel good about any other player marking in the forward 50m.
It is rediculous.
Lol, conveniently overlooks Tabs who has kicked multiple goals in every game this season.

Lol, conveniently overlooks Tabs who has kicked multiple goals in every game this season.

I think the frustration people have with Taberner is that he is good but not good enough.

With the rule changes favouring forwards Taberner who is a contested marking beast hasn't been able to take advantage.

Now, is this due to him and his little brain explosions or is down to the lack of personnel or is it game plan?

He is definitely our best option and he probably cops too much flak. More should be directed towards the club for not developing a good forward line on 25 years of operation.

I think the frustration people have with Taberner is that he is good but not good enough.

With the rule changes favouring forwards Taberner who is a contested marking beast hasn't been able to take advantage.

Now, is this due to him and his little brain explosions or is down to the lack of personnel or is it game plan?

He is definitely our best option and he probably cops too much flak. More should be directed towards the club for not developing a good forward line on 25 years of operation.
Your missing the point, Tabs is not our problem at the moment and anyone being frustrated with him doesn't watch much footy. He has had 2 underperforming KPF players next to him all year. A midfield (apart from Mundy) that can't seem to deliver the ball with any smarts. He is also carrying something.

I'd say the fact that he has kicked the goals he has this year is because he is a contested marking beast, there's not much more he can do when the forward line around him isn't pulling their weight.

Top 5 in the comp for goals at just under 3 a game. Yep, surely underperforming...

To all the posters on here deriding the coach and team and dropping their bundle. How do you compare our performance against Brisbane when the Tigers dish up a 10 goal defeat to the Cats? Even 'good' sides have down days and as Darcy said after the match they are and need to be focussed on putting in 4 quarters. Four quarter performances are an achilles heel of young and injured sides.

The expectation of fans of all teams in AFL is unrealistic, footy is a grueling sport. Teams are simply not going to be winning every game and a loss does not mean the sky is falling, still 66% of the season to go. Sheez...
I can stomach this as we had a crack and just weren't good enough. I think that's ok given who's out and who we played and where.

Even premiership sides don't expect to win against top 4 teams on the road. Tigers have been belted numerous times away from Vic in the last 4 years.

Think this is unfair. He's the only player not only to kick at least one goal every round but at least two goals every round, and he was a pretty consistent scoreboard contributor last year as well. His consistency has become his strength - and any coach in any sport love players they can rely on to contribute like that. He has also done that despite carrying a back niggle all season.
A midfield (apart from Mundy) that can't seem to deliver the ball with any smarts.
Think this is also unfair. Most goals by Taberner this year have been from set shots off the back of a lead and mark. I thought the delivery i50 yesterday took a backward step but most of the year our mids have been delivering the ball really well and hitting targets (hence a massive improvement in marks i50 despite an ordinary forward line). I am pretty sure Tab's back has forced us to hit him up on the lead or a 1v1 where he has a clear height advantage.

I'd meet you both half way. Despite being consistent (and one of the better AFL KPFs) kicking at least 2 goals a game, Tabs is capable of kicking a lot more. I think it is fair to say he would benefit from better forwards around him and not having his back flare up during games.

Is that the Tigers that have one 3 of the last 4 Grand Finals? My pessimism isn't so much on a week to week basis it's just that I've seen so much of this effort before from this club. I remember watching a game at Docklands years ago vs WB (Harvey era I think) and saying to my dad something like, "if we had just been 'not bad' we would have won the game". Our ability to put in half a good game of footy or 4 ok quarters with howling skill errors and turnovers that ultimately cost us is just so predictable. The 2013 GF is such an example of that. We did everything but win. I'd love it if we were a god side that had a bad game, but we're a bad side having bad games. Hope is eternal. But it's pretty obvious that as a club we're just another WB, StK, Melb. that will have fleeting moments of success before falling back to our nice comfy place of hoping that we get better next week, without the systems and traditions in place that demand year on year success. The performance last week vs WC was pathetic, this week was expected. I honestly believe that we have a team to make the 8, but there's nothing about our best 22 that tells me we have a premiership team though. Here's hoping I guess though huh?

I hate to be pessimistic but idk why people are so content with our loss? If we play like that against Essendon they will spank us. More importantly we are chasing some very significant signatures at the end of this season. How many more 'honourable' losses can we take before we start losing talent?
Because there are 2 teams playing football & one of those teams on paper is far better & playing on their home ground. The expectation was we were going to get badly beaten & we didn’t.

We also ran out the game better than Brisbane despite getting well behind on the scoreboard. It could have been a very ugly scoreline at the end, but the players fought hard this week. Sometimes you can be proud in defeat because of the circumstances.

For me this is one of those times & the only time it has happened this season.

Think this is unfair. He's the only player not only to kick at least one goal every round but at least two goals every round, and he was a pretty consistent scoreboard contributor last year as well. His consistency has become his strength - and any coach in any sport love players they can rely on to contribute like that. He has also done that despite carrying a back niggle all season.

Oh I agree, but I also understand the frustration.

There are so many larger problems than Tabs not averaging 5 goals a game :rolleyes:

Like this:

1620604628317.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back