Preview Changes vs Adelaide - Round 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

One was Nelson’s kick in and one Witherden kicked short to the pocket, then Shep(?) kicked it a mile to an open man on the wing.

One was truly his and was a bomb down the guts that led to Ah Chee’s second I believe. He’s an undeniable weapon when he’s on, I just don’t think he was that damaging today.

It’s he or Cole who’d have to go for Hurn, and I prefer Cole’s feisty small defensive work over Witherden’s defensive effort and hope that his kicking is on.
I'd like to see Witherden and Hurn in the same side.

Teams won't be able to tag/pressure both, so we may see some better transition.

No doubt it leaves us a little short of pace in defence though. But Cole, Nelson, Rotham should ideally be able to handle the faster forwards.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like the idea of Witherden and Hurn in the same team. It's Cole on current form for Hurn for me. Or we can Hurn in, OAllen forward and Waterman out.
If Barrass is ok then we'd be looking at Barrass down back, OAllen moves forward and Waterman misses out. Or Hedwards.
If JK is out and Barrass is not ready then it gets complicated.

Langdon, Ah Chee and Cripps are all too similar for me. I know we are missing Ryan and Rioli who are both a point of difference and Winder is not looking ready yet, but Cameron might be ready enough. You could hardly drop Ah Chee after today, so it's down to Cripps or Langdon. For me it would be Cameron IN, Cripps OUT.

So a match unfit Williams manages 64% game time, takes 5 marks, gets 9 possessions and kicks a goal. Ruck work needs work, but the only way to get AFL experience in the ruck is to be in the team. Vardy's best in 5 games was 3 marks (GC), 5 possessions (Freo), and a goal (3 times). There is no way Williams goes out for Vardy.

I'd like to see LEdwards get a game against Adelaide. Maybe in place of Langdon?

I really liked Jone's game today. A couple of setups and a goal that could have been 2 or 3. Did some good stuff through the middle of the ground as well.
Petruccelle also had some good moments and should keep his place.

I like the idea of Witherden and Hurn in the same team. It's Cole on current form for Hurn for me. Or we can Hurn in, OAllen forward and Waterman out.
If Barrass is ok then we'd be looking at Barrass down back, OAllen moves forward and Waterman misses out. Or Hedwards.
If JK is out and Barrass is not ready then it gets complicated.

Langdon, Ah Chee and Cripps are all too similar for me. I know we are missing Ryan and Rioli who are both a point of difference and Winder is not looking ready yet, but Cameron might be ready enough. You could hardly drop Ah Chee after today, so it's down to Cripps or Langdon. For me it would be Cameron IN, Cripps OUT.

So a match unfit Williams manages 64% game time, takes 5 marks, gets 9 possessions and kicks a goal. Ruck work needs work, but the only way to get AFL experience in the ruck is to be in the team. Vardy's best in 5 games was 3 marks (GC), 5 possessions (Freo), and a goal (3 times). There is no way Williams goes out for Vardy.

I'd like to see LEdwards get a game against Adelaide. Maybe in place of Langdon?

I really liked Jone's game today. A couple of setups and a goal that could have been 2 or 3. Did some good stuff through the middle of the ground as well.
Petruccelle also had some good moments and should keep his place.
Agree with most of what you said, except Ah Chee being similar to Cripps and Langdon...

He's got some leg speed, can leap, can handball (seemingly Cripps can't) and brings team mates into the game.

Today was peak output, so can't expect that every week, but I think on one performance he's overtaken Langdon.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

In: Barrass
Out: Kennedy if injured, otherwise Waterman; Allen to return to the forward line.
I don't think anyone else is coming back, and I wouldn't make any other changes on form.

This.

Vardy is an absolute liability at this stage of his career - he can offer a subpar chop-out in the ruck, and then nothing of value anywhere else on the ground. He cant even follow up his own tap work.

Keep Vardy out.

Actually, that’s not true. The competition average for hitouts to advantage is around 35%, and in the derby, Vardy got 12 hitouts, with 6 to advantage. That’s actually considered elite.

Additionally, against Brodie Grundy, Vard‘s got 6 hitouts to advantage from a total of 8 HOs.

His percentage of hitouts to advantage this year is actually the same as Nic’s (40%). So he seems to be a better ruckman than you give him credit for.

Last edited:
Rewatching it now. The goal I was thinking of from Witherden was actually Rotham’s kick out.

So our 3.0 from kickouts was one to Rotham, one to Nelson (both long bombs up the middle) and one to Witherden (short chip to the pocket, next player found a target up the wing).

I like the idea of Hurn and he both being super damaging together, but if I was in complete control and Hurn was ready to return, it’d be Witherden out before Cole for me.

You'd think Bailey Williams get an extended run in the side.

In L.Edwards
Out Cripps

JK hopefully right to resume.

I am beginning to come round to giving LEdwards his debut this week.

Fly the family over while do border issues.
Show the Crows that the are not John West.
Give one of our fumbler small forwards a rest (Langdon or Cripps, but we all know Simmo and the MC have a mongrel for Cripps)
LEdwards gives us options in midfield, half forward and half back at a pinch.

Not since Peter and Paul have we showcased players with the same surname in the same team?

+1 for a Ledwards debut.

In: Barrass, L. Edwards
Out: Kennedy, Cripps

Rotham Barrass Sheppard
Witherden Edwards Nelson
Gaff Kelly Brander
Waterman Darling Ah Chee
Jones Allen Langdon

Naitanui, Redden, Sheed

Cole, Edwards, Petruccelle, Williams

Give Hurn and Gov another week to get over their soft tissues. Give Kennedy the week off as he had calf issues in the preseason, need him right at the end of the year.

Play Langdon close to goal as he can't kick more than 40 metres

+1, don't mind the Ledwards inclusion either.

Witherden definitely wasn't his best vs the hawks, but it was far from an awful game.

I found it baffling Nelson was even taking the kick ins. Let Witherden do it you bloody pleb. Longer, more penetrating and accurate kick.

Considering Witherden was targeted for his foot skills it should be made quite clear that he does the kick ins when available., if not Hurn.

22 touches, 6 marks, 369 metres gained at 77% with 2 clangers doesn't read all that badly, despite his defensive work being borderline average.

His 2 clangers i remember were basically from his foot skills where the kick 'looked' fine but wasn't on the same page as the FWD.

I think the team is better with him in it, given he was far from our worst and not many are returning (Hurn unlikely) i'd be leaving him in.

Won't bother with my changes until the SJOG report comes out and we can find out if McGovern is fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmo in presser has all of Barrass, Hurn, Gov, Ryan as only needing to pass a fitness test before being right to play.

Barrass would seem closest, but Ryan has spent his time “off legs” to get rid of the hotspot on his shin, and was then supposedly doing a few weeks of running to get back to fitness. If all we got back was a Subiaco 2017 fitness level Liam Ryan, I’d still take that over Langdon.

TL;DR

in: tommy B, Liam Ryan
Out: Kennedy (inj ), Langdon

I found it baffling Nelson was even taking the kick ins. Let Witherden do it you bloody pleb. Longer, more penetrating and accurate kick.

Nelson: 17 touches, 5 intercepts, 423 metres gained at 94%. 0 clangers. More CP, More SI, More Naval.

I strangely didn’t mind Cripps game. Thought defensively he was good, played with a good intensity but obviously fumbled a lot. I’ll back his touch to come back though. That’s confidence.
He’s been down this year though so maybe me expectations have dropped but he’s a lot better than Langdon.

I strangely didn’t mind Cripps game. Thought defensively he was good, played with a good intensity but obviously fumbled a lot. I’ll back his touch to come back though. That’s confidence.
He’s been down this year though so maybe me expectations have dropped but he’s a lot better than Langdon.
I saw it in 2020 as well. It's not just his fumbling for me. He is making dumb football decisions.

Not sure what went wrong with the 3rd quarter run down. He should have been warned by his fellow forwards but he wasn't. Why? Respect and leadership would be my thoughts. He is probably getting the just rewards for so often trying to be the seagull out the side or run ahead. A player that lays shepherds and works for his fellow forwards would have garnered a different response.

Last time we played two guys with the same surname was Adam and Scott Selwood in round 23, 2013.

Last time we played two unrelated guys with the same surname was Brett and Rowan Jones in the 2007 semi final v Collingwood.

I believe Brett and Rowan Jones, and Chad and Rowan Jones, are the only combinations of unrelated players with the same surname that we’ve ever fielded in a team.

I saw it in 2020 as well. It's not just his fumbling for me. He is making dumb football decisions.

Not sure what went wrong with the 3rd quarter run down. He should have been warned by his fellow forwards but he wasn't. Why? Respect and leadership would be my thoughts. He is probably getting the just rewards for so often trying to be the seagull out the side or run ahead. A player that lays shepherds and works for his fellow forwards would have garnered a different response.

Are they dumb football decisions, or selfish football decisions?

It just seems like he's trying to do too much and/or do it all himself. (Langdon shows this trait a little also).

He's probably feeling the pressure of average form (not poor form, just average) and trying to do some amazing things to get into better form. The problem being he is burning team-mates and getting caught with the ball or missing shots etc. Just do the simple things well, bring team-mates into the game and it is funny how quickly things turn.

Nelson: 17 touches, 5 intercepts, 423 metres gained at 94%. 0 clangers. More CP, More SI, More Naval.
Better hair too.

Jackson Nelson is creeping towards 100 games and people are still thoroughly split on him, but far out I just don’t understand the concern. He’s a rugged, prick of a back pocket, and his skills are right up there. Not sure how he got the reputation of being a butcher, and when everyone cries out for more tough bastards with a bit of campaigner in them but then proceed to bag Nelson...I dunno. Set and forget B22 at the moment.

Better hair too.

Jackson Nelson is creeping towards 100 games and people are still thoroughly split on him, but far out I just don’t understand the concern. He’s a rugged, prick of a back pocket, and his skills are right up there. Not sure how he got the reputation of being a butcher, and when everyone cries out for more tough bastards with a bit of campaigner in them but then proceed to bag Nelson...I dunno. Set and forget B22 at the moment.

People are dumb. Simples.

IN: Hurn, Ryan, L. Edwards

Debut Luke Edwards as a reward for travelling and as a middle finger to Adelaide for skipping out on him.

Hurn is another two weeks away.

Ryan another four.

Let L.Edwards earn his spot in the WAFL. This is league footy we're talking about, not a lolly bag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back