Review Showdown 49 - Rd 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible first half. I’ve said before that we play to the level of our opponents and the umpires had an influence on the game style as they allowed Adelaide to bottle up the game and turn it into the exact kind of no skills rolling maul hackfest the afl apparently wants to get rid of.
Worrying that we continue the trend of slow starts. Looked completely disinterested.

2nd half was better and we got better as the game went on.

Defenders absolutely monstered the crows forwards. If the crows played 6 bollards they would have fared better (and still drawn as many free kicks). Thilthorpe getting a free shot at goal for his knee buckling highlights the eagerness of the umps to pay frees against us. Dixon Marshall Georgiades combo was enjoyable to watch. Just complement each other so well and such incredibly different players. Mixed bag from our midfield, and I thought our small forwards really struggled to impact the scoreboard for the amount we went forward. The drop off of scoreboard impact from Fantasia and Motlop from beginning of the season to now is huge.

Amon - very good game. We don’t have a player that moves through the midfield like him. Love watching him and I think he’s improving his consistency as the year goes on.

Lycett - great game. Probably his best game versus rob from memory. Rob was a total complete non factor.

Rozee - moved very very well. some very good kicks but I hate his tendency to do that turn and kick across his body he does. Last night he did it heaps and it always caught our forwards out and hit a random crow. On a night our kfs were dominating their opponents those kicks gave them zero chance to compete. If I was his coach I would have stern words with him to forget those kicks. I think they’re lazy. Turn and look for a target and kick.

Dbj - more like Dbj we know and expect

Boak - classic boak

Fantasia- 1.5 and they were very gettable shots. Is on a run of pretty average form after a great start. Seems very close to breaking it though.

Burton - easy peasy for reliable burton

Farrell - pretty good game without being great but for me the very encouraging sign is his improvement in areas people called for him to improve in. Last night he was involved, and getting around contests and tackling bustling and so on. 19d. Disliked that he made a couple of poor decisions by foot but made up for it with a brilliant intercept and goal.

Dixon - worked hard, robbed by the ump. There’s never been a player more hard done by with the umps. Gets held and chopped almost every play. Good work rate, works way too hard for his goals while other forwards make it look easy.

Marshall - couple of missed marks when he had time to think about it but took a ripper mark, and had some outstanding kicks. He’s better skilled than 95% of afl listed players and he’s 197cms. Competed in the air, was great when the ball was in his hands. Loved his lead and mark late in the game too. Marshall and Georgiades way of playing post dixon should be more fun to watch as a port fan than the days of kick high to Dixon and watch him get a scragged for no free.

Spp - high effort buzzing around but blasting away type of spp performance that I wanted him to grow beyond this year. Decent and good to have him out there but he’s capable of more and I want it.

Hartlett - very good effort, beat his opponent, didn’t make any horrific errors. Didn’t really hurt the crows. Still not enough to make me forget his bad run this year yet.

Gray - very good effort without the game breaking gray moments but lots of workman like little stuff.

Georgiades- had an electric start where he looked dangerous, then disappeared, then came back with a bang in the fourth. Robbed by the umps of a great mark.

Drew - only 16d in this game but led our side with 7 clearances. 16 disposals and almost half of them are clearances is a weird stat. Looks so composed out there, had no doubt he was going to kick that goal as soon as he collected it. Looked like he believed he belongs out there. I think right now he’s studying an apprenticeship that we will see the benefits of in around 3/4 years.

Wines - weird game. Looked unstoppable early, just in everything. Worked hard around the ground. Went out of it a bit. I was still surprised he only finished with 24d, amazingly that is a low touch game for him.

Houston - was everywhere in the first half, didn’t look like himself still but was finding a tonne of it. Gutted that his all-aus level season is being derailed by a contact injury. Hopefully he comes good, happy for him to rest now so he’s good for the back end of the season.

Jonas - strong game. Involved in heaps of play.

Alir - monster game really. Even if the stats don’t reflect it he just absolutely dominated the crows. They couldn’t get it past him in the air.

Motlop - disappointing game in a disappointing patch of form for mots after a hot start. Still looks to be doing the right things but not getting the results.

Bergman - looked like a 200 gamer. That play where he beat 2 crows players 1 out was great. He’s become so strong through the core, and used it well in this game. He literally captain America super soldiered himself overnight. His emergence this year is one of the highlights of 2021.

Clurey - went into beast mode. Obliterated his opponent, then danced and got around opponents and used it well.

Frederick - some electric run when he came on, tends to play with dog chasing a car spirit. I’m not sure he knows what he’s going to do until he does it. Alright effort without being memorable.

Lycett sent straight to tribunal
Worth it :cool:

He needs a rest anyway, we have Dogs who were playing a 2-gamer in ruck today, then Collingwood/Grundy, who habitually taps it haphazardly, then Freo with Sean Darcy as ruck. Ladhams and/or Hayes can steer this boat for a month.

Re-watched the game, much better when the emotion is removed. A couple of things, for you crows supporters that come here to read, you’re a bunch of uneducated bellends. You lot had the rub of the green, not our fault your club is just full of soft spud players. Secondly on that line, probably tell your players to spend more time gobbing off at port players and their skill level and maybe try to hit a target at 15 metres.

finally, Ollie Wibes is immense around the stoppages. He’s definitely taken his game to elite level, especially his fitness where’s he able to get to the next contest and compete. Wasn’t our greatest game but when a club comes to play just a s**t level, no disciplined game of footy, of course where going to get drawn down to that level. Looking forward to next week. See if we’ve learned anything from our losses to the lions and Eagles.

View attachment 1122720

First time I have picked up they are now showing dropped marks. Wonder if they are obvious ones say with a slippery ball with no one around you or where you get your hands on the ball first in a pack situation and can't hang on to them. If the later, would be interesting to see Dixon's graphic.

View attachment 1122724
James Rowe had 13 touches and 3 tackles but rated as 5th highest rating points

Re-watched the game, much better when the emotion is removed. A couple of things, for you crows supporters that come here to read, you’re a bunch of uneducated bellends. You lot had the rub of the green, not our fault your club is just full of soft spud players. Secondly on that line, probably tell your players to spend more time gobbing off at port players and their skill level and maybe try to hit a target at 15 metres.

Doedee gobbing off at Marshall after dropping a mark early was the best. Marshall completely ignored him so Doedee gave it another go. Marshall ignored him again and just got back to business. I love his temperament.
Needless to say Doedee had a s**t game.

Doedee gobbing off at Marshall after dropping a mark early was the best. Marshall completely ignored him so Doedee gave it another go. Marshall ignored him again and just got back to business. I love his temperament.
Needless to say Doedee had a sh*t game.

to be fair Doedee really had to do that after Marshall's noted recent marking yips... and Marshall simply needs to take every opportunity to develop his marking skills along with said temperament. He'll get there. Todd's had bigger things to deal with in his life than a snippy opponent.

to be fair Doedee really had to do that after Marshall's noted recent marking yips... and Marshall simply needs to take every opportunity to develop his marking skills along with said temperament. He'll get there. Todd's had bigger things to deal with in his life than a snippy opponent.
Todd's skills, vision,touch, footy intell for a 198cm tall are beyond the norm. Just seems /appears in a more settled space with his mates after what can only be described as a horrific period in his 'young' life. He is going to be some player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1122720

First time I have picked up they are now showing dropped marks. Wonder if they are obvious ones say with a slippery ball with no one around you or where you get your hands on the ball first in a pack situation and can't hang on to them. If the later, would be interesting to see Dixon's graphic.

View attachment 1122724
James Rowe stiff not to win the Showdown Medal based on that.

The only way theCrows could get a kick was if we made a mistake or gave away a free, they had so few players who could win a contest or execute cleanly . I was impressed by our method around the packs and willingness to win the hard ball .
Thought Houston was a bit off before he got hit in the shoulder so I’m presuMing it was still sore .
S.P.P seemed a little off the pace especially early but seemed to improve as the match went on .
The defence of Aliir , Clurey and Jonas was exceptional.
Thought Rozee was pretty good , Farrel was quite good as well , Fantasia if he had kicked straighter would’ve made headlines
Marshall and Dixon were great , George was good . Lycett was a beast Byrne Jonesand. Urging weRe excellent .Wines ,Boak andA on were all good. .
Gray was good but not as clean as normal
Motlop was quiet .
Hartlett had his Clanger early and spent the night making up for it with courageous play .
Drew was good , can’t wait for him to get up to 50 games , reckon he’ll be best 22 by then .

Having another watch of this before bed. Some classic Dwayno.

Early in the game Fantasia and Hammil running towards Ports goal when Fantasia drops the ball as he tries to steady. Hammil shoves Fantasia square in the back.

Dwayno - "Hammil worries him out of it".

Late in the game Jonas shoves Rowe out of the way in disdain and gathers the ball.

Dwayno - "Could have been a push in the back....no free!!!"

Seriously, * this guy.

Ugly game but I don't think it was because we were poor. The conditions were a little difficult on foot given the dew and the fact an earlier game had been played barely an hour before first bounce - so the oval was a little chopped up in certain areas.

I thought we played to the conditions superbly well. Reminded me a lot of the dirty ball we used against West Coast in 2019 - just get behind the footy when it's coming at you in a contest and propel the ball forward until someone gets a clean run at it.

The Crows never truly played to win. They brought all their players to essentially within 1 kick of the ball throughout the entire game. Was a true case of defensive shut down footy. That, combined with the pressure exhibited by both sides always made it a game that wasn't going to be pretty.

They had a few waves of momentum but our defense typically held strong. Haven't watched the replay yet but upon first glance I never truly felt threatened. Going into the game I expected to win by at least 40 points, but that the first 2 and a half quarters would be a struggle. It panned out as I expected, really. Good to get the 4 points and move on to next week. Not every game is about looking like the Premier.

View attachment 1122724

At a team level "dropped marks" may be a bit of a proxy for poor choice of game plan or poor execution of a game plain - of any style. You either lost a contested marking situation or you lost an uncontested marking situation via a skill fail. Ah but it probably doesn't include kicks that fall short of or overshoot a target though. hmm. Maybe you need a "missed target" stat to correlate with it, from the kicker. Analysis paralysis beckons!

OT but anyway I'd love to see Richmond's "dropped marks" stat against Geelong the other night as some sort of historical (hysterical??) percentage. They seemed to fall short of their usual intercepting and passing skills as the heat went up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back