Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Kennedy has been tried in the midfield and for those that watched the vfl and remember his midfield stints in the afl they know why he's not getting a game through there.

Run and gun and open games, he can't get near the ball. First quarter of the vfl was ping pong and he had 1 or 2 touches. Only came into the game when it got more congested and slow, so.... When has Teague ever wanted to slow the game down and make it more contested? Kennedy would be fine in a different structure/game plan but ours... Hell no.

I said it at the start of the year he cant be played as a mid - too slow. His only role is the 3rd 'tall' fwd and now with JSOS out he is the only option available. Id pick him in that role.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
The biggest issue in the 4th was actually Caleb Daniel freewheeling off Owies from the back flank.

I could be wrong, but it seemed like Fogarty had the job on Daniel and had been keeping him quiet. Then suddenly in the last quarter Owies is on him, and Daniel literally doubles his output for the whole game in one quarter.

No disrespect to Owies, but he's a basketball convert, whereas Daniel was born clutching a football. At an absolute loss as to how our coaches let this match-up happen.
Beveridge mentioned in his press conference that they moved Caleb Daniel up the field in the last quarter to get him more involved, changed his role and got a different match up and cashed in.

It’s called in game coaching.....

Last edited:

Stephene

Senior List
Jul 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Apart from the last 5 mins of the third and the last quarter we played some pretty good football to almost have a premiership contender on the ropes...if it had been a bottom eight team I'd be incensed but there is a lot to like about what we're doing and we'll win more games this year (finals...who knows)...getting TDK back almost gives us an extra mobile midfielder...as much as I like Pitto he can't seem to do much after his initial HO and looks slooooow....we looked gassed in that last quarter

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Strangely enough, we aren't that far away, but, there needs to be some tweaks, mostly in mindset from the coaches box which I will detail a little later.
Yeah I agree, if you consider the teams we’ve played plus the number of players that are out of form we are not that far from putting it all together, if we can some how find the right midfield mix despite Barker and Stanton we can turn it around quickly as our forward line and defence are playing well in spite of our misfiring mids, replace Barker and Stanton with Power and O’Keefe and it will get better real fast.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
FB_IMG_1620608019833.jpg

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
I said it at the start of the year he cant be played as a mid - too slow. His only role is the 3rd 'tall' fwd and now with JSOS out he is the only option available. Id pick him in that role.
I’d be bringing in Honey his form has been very good and his speed and power are fantastic.

Blue Chip Pass

All Australian
Apr 20, 2017
Warrandyte
AFL Club
Carlton
Can see everyone still hurting with the disappointment.
I loved Teague's response in the Presser about Eddie. "I don't give a stuff what the journo's think".
I feel for Teague. I think the game plan is sound. It is failure to implement and lack of players mental strength letting the team down

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d be bringing in Honey his form has been very good and his speed and power are fantastic.

Chopping and changing our targets up forward won't help much, if at all.

We need to address the issues in the middle as a priority.

I'd give Cripps the rest he clearly needs and use his omission to challenge the other guys to step up their games.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I loved Teague's response in the Presser about Eddie. "I don't give a stuff what the journo's think".
I feel for Teague. I think the game plan is sound. It is failure to implement and lack of players mental strength letting the team down
The coach's box lost that game..

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
A big issue we need to address is that we play too many players who are not fully fit. Saad was clearly not fit today (check his time on the bench). Williams doe not seem fit, Cripps must carry something - extended time on the bench and playing horribly. Find some balls and rest these "star" players until they are fit. I don't know if it is Russel, Teague or Loyd, but they are responsible for this. Rather play some kids, we loose anyway when those players get worse and worse as the game progresses.

Can't argue with this, it is my biggest bugbear, playing unfit players, this is done in amateur football where a good player may be better at 60% fitness than a reserve player at 95%. It doesn't work at this fitness level and gives the players an out. Once you declare yourself fit to play, you withdraw your excuses for a poor showing, our side isn't good enough to carry ANY passengers.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Honestly, which club would take him? Assuming any club was interested we would have to pay 600k per year of his salary. I would do it if we could find someone, but can't see it happening.
North, GC, Pies, Hawks might be interested, never know.

Get one of them to take on the full contract and receive a late 2nd or 3rd rounder would be a win for us.

fnm_just a man

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
For those who are rationalising defeat in the belief that 'realistically' we were never going to beat the Dogs - what a cop-out.. could almost call it a Carlton cop-out. We were up by 5 goals late in the 3rd - regardless of your pre-game expectations, to lose from there is a failure.

The Stocker turnover was a howler - first the kick, then the handball... but it happens, esp to young players. More concerning is that I'm not sure Stock has hit a single short or medium pass yet. Kicking has been way off. I don't mind him in defence, presuming his kicking improves.

SPS with his 15m pass to the contest on the boundary when we were clinging to the lead - I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing.

You couldn't see it on TV, but Cas really screwed up with the ball at HB - had Cuningham loose and streaming through CHF/HF. Would have been a certain score and likely a goal bc we had them outnumbered. Cas goes wide to Gibbons who mind-blowingly goes the short chip to Fog for a contest, who then handballs to Bont and Dogs were away.

3 awful moments during the last qtr with blame squarely on the players - repeat offenders, at that.

There were plenty of other moments - Weiters had an amazing game but he still fluffs his kicks more than he should .. I reckon it's when he does the Buddy curve - two out on the full; not good enough. These are the little things that need to be ironed out. Doc so often just bangs it on his boot, and regularly panicking as well.

I want the Club to come out and tell us whether Cripps and ZWilliams are still hampered by injury and maybe even give some specifics - it would make the whole situation far more tolerable. Writing has been on the wall for Cripps - I said after last week that he was a genuine liability for chunks of the game. Same for most of yesterday. I don't buy that it's bc he's attempting 'superman' things - something else is going on... if there is nothing else to blame other than form, I can't recall a greater fall from grace. Zwilliams is a much much better player than what he has produced - surely he's carrying something. If they're playing him injured, at least put him in his comfort zone at HB.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
The game plan of all out attack, shootout style is not sound in my opinion.

Successful teams have better defensive systems/structures in the back half and better forward 50 and midfield pressure.

Either Dale Amos needs to change his system to a “team defensive system” or convince the forward & mid coaches to demand the effort from their areas that his current system requires.

If these coaches cannot get the required commitment to the team cause from these players there will be only 2 options, replace the coaches or replace the players......

Who oversees all of this.....

Pixelshooter

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
My old, fat uncle looks fitter than Williams. You play blokes in that state, you're guaranteed to get belted at some point in the game. Can be carried for maybe half a game...or a bit longer. But you'll get overrun. When you have at least 3 in the side, you're done. Need to make a statement like Geelong did years ago...if your body isn't up to it...too bad.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The game plan of all out attack, shootout style is not sound in my opinion.

Successful teams have better defensive systems/structures in the back half and better forward 50 and midfield pressure.

Either Dale Amos needs to change his system to a “team defensive system” or convince the forward & mid coaches to demand the effort from their areas that his current system requires.

If these coaches cannot get the required commitment to the team cause from these players there will be only 2 options, replace the coaches or replace the players......

Who oversees all of this.....
It wasn't really a shootout style game yesterday. Until we s**t the bed late in the 3rd they had 8 goals. Keep playing the way we were and they kick 11 or 12 goals.

It was one diabolical qtr where they flogged us and Teague was pretty pissed about it

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Back