Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Interesting comments from Craig Jennings on the Whateley podcast that Goody used to say in 2018 that all great teams have to go through adversity. Said tongue in cheek that Goody's orchestrated 2019 & 2020 to set us up for our run now.

I'm coming around to Goody through the comments players and coaches have passed on that he's said. Still boring in press conferences. Plays a straighter bat than anyone in the comp, but must be insightful behind the scenes.

Also interesting watching the 2019 & 2020 draft videos for how much sway Alan Richardson has for the final draft choices after being presented by Jason Taylor.

Mostly I'm learning I need to get more of a life and stop eating up all things Melbourne, but not til this run ends baby.
It’s all fun and games when you’re winning. Truth be told Goody probably isn’t doing much substantially different behind the scenes to what he’s been doing since 2017 lol. It’s little incremental changes and maturity of the list profile etc

tomcruise

the cruisemeister
Feb 23, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, but we shouldn't consider it like that. If what he's doing now is the culmination of what he envisaged in 2017 and it's working this well, then fantastic. I imagine he's learnt little things, but mostly gathered the right people around him and it's the group combined with a very talented list that's resulting in our current form.

I'm not saying you should all love the guy or he's turned some kind of magical corner. I'm saying I've gone from wanting to be rid of him to being like, you know what, maybe he's alright.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Perhaps he has become more open to ideas from other coaches. Or always has but the other coaches weren't performing and our new assistants are better. Or he has learnt some valuable "learnings" and modified his approach. We will never really know.

We have always played in a stubborn way that made us angry as fans. But we have been recruiting for our flaws the whole time getting in quality key defenders, wingers and drafting small forwards. Probably shows we are aware of the faults but rather than change the game plan too heavily and try and make inside mids something they aren't we have corrected the balance of the side.

When we play well the big thing that is different is not all going to the ball and players trusting the other to win the ball, instead spending energy gang tackling. This could be a maturity thing or could be better messaging.

The one thing it probably shows is value of having a core group of similar aged players who have played 100 games together entering their prime and having stability in the coaching. Bevo snagged an unexpected flag 2 years in, but in recent history most premiership teams has had a coach that has been there for 4-5 years +

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Anyone know what the message was in the post-game huddle? Just on optics I liked the way it looked. Harnessing the energy of a win like that in the immediate aftermath.
Me too. Hopefully a 'you didn't play well but you ******* gutsed it out' type message.

Anyone know what the message was in the post-game huddle? Just on optics I liked the way it looked. Harnessing the energy of a win like that in the immediate aftermath.
Apparently a 'good job but one week at a time, don't get ahead of ourselves' etc. Clarry and TMc mentioned it in their interviews post-game.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brad Johnson asked this when interviewing Gawn. He said that we haven’t made the mcg a fortress and that interstate teams don't fear us at the mcg. Mentioned Sydney have beaten us the last 6 occasion here. Along those lines.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
IMO he was asking the boys if anyone wants to split a ‘24 nuggets for $9.95’ deal at Maccas after the game. Could be wrong, have nothing to go off here, but that was just the vibe I got.
What a cracking deal that is after a night on the piss. In Banff here they got a 50 pack you can buy. Slammed a few of those on a walk home

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Nah used to wake up and have a few scattered around me head and the pillow.
Used to love smashing down 24 nugs with sweet & sour sauce at the end of a big night. One night i opened the box and i swear to god one of the nugs was schnitzel size. Didn't eat it and kept it in my fridge for weeks to show people.

GWT6

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Western Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
IMO he was asking the boys if anyone wants to split a ‘24 nuggets for $9.95’ deal at Maccas after the game. Could be wrong, have nothing to go off here, but that was just the vibe I got.
I think you're giving him way too much credit.

I suspect he thought it was 3/4 time and was giving them a rev up for a big last quarter. The players know what he is like and play along, just wanting to get through it and do the debrief with Choco Williams back in the rooms.

Me too. Hopefully a 'you didn't play well but you ******* gutsed it out' type message.

Goodwin on radio yesterday revealed two messages delivered in post-game huddle. One was take in the reaction of the supporters and enjoy it and the other was basically what you said.

Nothing about chicken nuggets but I'm sure he just forgot to mention it.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Goodwin on radio yesterday revealed two messages delivered in post-game huddle. One was take in the reaction of the supporters and enjoy it and the other was basically what you said.

Nothing about chicken nuggets but I'm sure he just forgot to mention it.
No doubt he swung em through the drive through for a stack of nugs to celebrate though. Controversial choice but took em to KFC for the nugs and IMO the right call was made. Clearly the winning nugs

Last edited:
Back