Review Round 8, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Zorko now has to manage an achillies injury probably for the remainder of his career now. Not taking anything away from Richy's effort but all that happened was he got winded and needed some time to get his breath back.

Quit taking away from Richys superhuman effort!!!!!

Maybe also not happy with his effort individually. They all seemed to become overly selfish, especially in the last 1/4. There was a long and lengthy team meeting after the game which covered their shortcomings...hopefully they all take out something from that & become more selfless versus The Suns & more importantly The Tigers.

Which is great isn't it? We get the four points and some great areas to focus on and improve.

The interesting/salivating thing for me is could Starcevich transition into a dynamic big bodied mid. I have no idea what his endurance is like, from watching a few pre seasons he is neither a standout leader of endurance drills or someone who is at the back of the pack, gut feel for me is he could make a very good mid.... or is he going to be a career long very good to elite medium defender.

endurance capability really kicks in in the mid 20s. Salivate away, the good stuff hasn’t even been approached yet

endurance capability really kicks in in the mid 20s. Salivate away, the good stuff hasn’t even been approached yet
ba8fb235ca756b85c8b9b3b3321f6749.gif

Had a very busy weekend so missed the game live, and trying to catchup on the game across today. Only watched the first half so far but doesnt sound like I should bother with the second half. Maybe I'll just check out the kayo mini highlights for that.

From what I saw Rich and McCluggage were outstanding. AA form for both of them

Lyons continues to do such an underrated job. How would people rate him against the best midfielders in the comp? I would probably have him in the 10-20 range but very underrated. Still cant believe he is at his third club

Starc and Harris looked very good. I get the want to move Starc into the middle but feels like that would be robbing Peter. He is just so reliable in shutting downs smalls that have killed us in previous years. No more small forwards like Tippa kicking 5 or more on us. Think he should be a main stay in defence for many years to come.

Charlie is looking great and we seem to have the mix right with the talls. Especially with Joe roaming up the ground and then everyone taking different roles across the game. Ah Chee is much better up forward. Great pressure and involvement there.

Liking the signs from Dev and Prior. Hope we keep giving them games as we can. If Berry is fit, I think I would drop Matho before either of them.

Our defence looks pretty good but still like others I still think it looks almost unbalanced. Adams and Gardiner still making a fair few clangers mixed in with good things. Birchalls kicking is great but I worry about his pace. Lester does the quiet things and keeps it tight. Coaches seem to know what they are doing but I still worry about not getting experience into our backups down there

Had a very busy weekend so missed the game live, and trying to catchup on the game across today. Only watched the first half so far but doesnt sound like I should bother with the second half. Maybe I'll just check out the kayo mini highlights for that.

From what I saw Rich and McCluggage were outstanding. AA form for both of them

Lyons continues to do such an underrated job. How would people rate him against the best midfielders in the comp? I would probably have him in the 10-20 range but very underrated. Still cant believe he is at his third club

Starc and Harris looked very good. I get the want to move Starc into the middle but feels like that would be robbing Peter. He is just so reliable in shutting downs smalls that have killed us in previous years. No more small forwards like Tippa kicking 5 or more on us. Think he should be a main stay in defence for many years to come.

Charlie is looking great and we seem to have the mix right with the talls. Especially with Joe roaming up the ground and then everyone taking different roles across the game. Ah Chee is much better up forward. Great pressure and involvement there.

Liking the signs from Dev and Prior. Hope we keep giving them games as we can. If Berry is fit, I think I would drop Matho before either of them.

Our defence looks pretty good but still like others I still think it looks almost unbalanced. Adams and Gardiner still making a fair few clangers mixed in with good things. Birchalls kicking is great but I worry about his pace. Lester does the quiet things and keeps it tight. Coaches seem to know what they are doing but I still worry about not getting experience into our backups down there
I dislike the way Charlie often marks the ball in the forward line & turns his back on the play to get ready for a set shot. No matter how acute or obtuse the angle is, he should always look for the options open.

I dislike the way Charlie often marks the ball in the forward line & turns his back on the play to get ready for a set shot. No matter how acute or obtuse the angle is, he should always look for the options open.

Tbh I thought the selfish shots at goal were a big part of us not winning by more. So many poor snaps and selfish attempts to score. Meanwhile Hipwood was the perfect example of an unselfish player and looked for options.

I like McStay. I reckon he’s playing better lately than he has over the last few seasons. And we’ve been winning since he came back from injury. Coincidence?

McStay turns 50/50 corridor bombs into F50 entries with his marking and follow up work. He is a lock for the 22.

Tbh I thought the selfish shots at goal were a big part of us not winning by more. So many poor snaps and selfish attempts to score. Meanwhile Hipwood was the perfect example of an unselfish player and looked for options.

I thought Charlie’s shots were OK but how many times did Matho get a rush of blood in F50 and not look for a quick handball to space!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Zorko in the last 5mins attempt a mark/smother and he just stayed down for a few seconds. Thought he was injured, but when the runner when out to him he looked fine, but was clearly not happy with the effort from the team.
Zorks was down on his haunches a few times during the game. I think he was playing under some duress (foot injury?). Full credit to him, he has played some really disciplined footy in recent weeks - no yapping back to umpires and no silly free kicks. He has clearly tried to modify his behaviour.

Zorks was down on his haunches a few times during the game. I think he was playing under some duress (foot injury?). Full credit to him, he has played some really disciplined footy in recent weeks - no yapping back to umpires and no silly free kicks. He has clearly tried to modify his behaviour.
You can teach an old Lion new tricks.

Watching the first quarter again and I don't think we appreciate just how good a kick Lyons is. He's turning into quick a damaging ball user
I was thinking that at the game, very good player now, would have to be right up there on any most underrated list, if he was playing for the Demons or Dogs he'd be talked about as a potential All Australian.

There were a couple of incidents last night from Lyons that I really loved ie. he got a holding the ball against Fyfe in the centre square where Jarryd put the clamps on him and Fyfe just couldn't get loose, it was MMA level grappling against a beast of an opponent. The other was his goal where he burst through a couple of players and slotted through from 40 on the run.

There was also another one on the far wing from me where I think(my eye sight doesn't stand up from that distance) it was Fyfe again clamped by Lyons and the umpire gave Fyfe an age to get the ball away, should have been HTB again.

Listening to the game on SEN, they were talking about McCluggage and said we are witnessing the emergence of a legitimite future champion, even quite possibly a Brownlow Medallist.

Was a good win, not a great win. Was hard hearing our margin getting reduced in that last qtr..

...and I definately don't get as stressed listening to the game on radio as I do when watching tv.

I was thinking that at the game, very good player now, would have to be right up there on any most underrated list, if he was playing for the Demons or Dogs he'd be talked about as a potential All Australian.

There were a couple of incidents last night from Lyons that I really loved ie. he got a holding the ball against Fyfe in the centre square where Jarryd put the clamps on him and Fyfe just couldn't get loose, it was MMA level grappling against a beast of an opponent. The other was his goal where he burst through a couple of players and slotted through from 40 on the run.

There was also another one on the far wing from me where I think(my eye sight doesn't stand up from that distance) it was Fyfe again clamped by Lyons and the umpire gave Fyfe an age to get the ball away, should have been HTB again.
That tackle was from Lester and yes Fyfe had an eternity to get rid of it. Superstar bias.

Didn't really care about the end of the game. Was clear we had stopped running as hard when we had a sizeable lead. I reckon if it got close towards the end then they could up the ante a bit. Think of it this way, would people have wanted them to run as hard in the 4th as they did in the 1st but there is a higher chance of an injury to a Lyons or Bailey etc or not run as hard when we knew we had it won and saved us from potential injury.

Also, Zorko was back to his undisciplined imo. Having shotsfrom outside 50 when the selfless thing to do was to spot someone up. Also, he directly cost Ah Chee a goal when he unnecssarily tackled someone without the ball.

There are an endless list of things that could cost us. I’m not sure playing for % is that big an issue

It's something to keep an eye on I just think conserving energy especially with a 6 day break and minimizing the chances of a serious injury are more of a priority. I'd love to see a good thrashing as much as anyone but the price may be too much

It's something to keep an eye on I just think conserving energy especially with a 6 day break and minimizing the chances of a serious injury are more of a priority. I'd love to see a good thrashing as much as anyone but the price may be too much
After Round 4 we were 16th on the ladder with a percentage of 85.
4 rounds later we are 5th on the ladder with the 5th best percentage in the league of 116.
Since round 4 we have scored 393 points and had 245 points kicked against us with a percentage of 160.4.
As disappointing as it was that we took our foot off the throat, I think we are going ok.

Back