Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
We have to stop cherry picking these assistants from clubs that are currently up and about. Look at the Saints, changing their assistants in 2019, having a rise, now treading water again.

Our main issues go way beyond that, gamestyle, setups, player positions, that's where focus is needed

I'd say the assistants have a fair bit to do with all the focus items you mention

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Talking more about Teague’s mindset and game plan, he stated pre match it would be a high scoring shootout type game and we need to score more than them....

He needs to get his own thought process and strategy on developing a better balance between offense & defense to keep them to a more manageable score.

5 times in 8 games we have conceded 100+ pts, North the only team worse....
So you want ugly flooding the backline crap?...Nah mate....it just takes a long time for all the pieces to glue together no matter how much we wish it to be instant. And there are no guarantees ever in sport anyway.

A bit of luck helps too. We are very low in that stat.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
As likely as your scenario - you want carlton to try and sell him and expect someone to pay his whole salary and give us a 2nd or 3rd rounder..... :rolleyes: 🤦‍♂️
I said the scenario (although unlikely would be a win), hypothetical situation....

if we could get anyone to bite we would be mad not to consider anything.

But why carry on about their best player and first round draft picks.... grow up :$

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
The only players in VFL yesterday who looked AFL ready and had genuine superiority in play against their rivals were: Newman | Honey | TDK and Durdin - Ramsay did a few nice things and looks a future player but is way off the required sustainable efforts required - Carroll looked good in moments as well but coming back from a long spell off.

the standout blokes i would be investing AFL time into - right now are TDK and Honey - TDK because he plays like a great tap ruck and a very good mid around the ground and Honey because he has exceptional speed is a great set shot kick and has mongrel - Durdin will be playing a small forward role at some stage this year too I think.

As for Dow Lob and Setterfield - they weren't interested much yesterday is the best I can say....

Bit harsh on Dow

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
So you want ugly flooding the backline crap?...Nah mate....it just takes a long time for all the pieces to glue together no matter how much we wish it to be instant. And there are no guarantees ever in sport anyway.

A bit of luck helps too. We are very low in that stat.
Sorry for late response, took me a few minutes to try and find where I said we should flood the backline......

Most of the discussion the past few weeks has been about our defensive mindset and system.
Amos wants to play 1vs1, most other clubs have a +1 or a system where they organise, communicate and cover for each other.

Whatever our strategy is or rules are currently, they are clearly are only working better than 1 team in the comp (North)....

With our poor midfield and forward pressure either the system needs to change or players who cannot implement the system have to be changed or replaced.

Agree there have been a few situations when we are low on luck but some of our guys have been very unlucky most of their careers repeatedly....

I don't like his game style - at all - but for a tiny bit of luck he could have had 2 flags at St Kilda and for errant goal kicking, a flag at Freo. He is a good coach.
He might strip-mine a club's list, but he gets the most out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Sorry for late response, took me a few minutes to try and find where I said we should flood the backline......

Most of the discussion the past few weeks has been about our defensive mindset and system.
Amos wants to play 1vs1, most other clubs have a +1 or a system where they organise, communicate and cover for each other.

Whatever our strategy is or rules are currently, they are clearly are only working better than 1 team in the comp (North)....

With our poor midfield and forward pressure either the system needs to change or players who cannot implement the system have to be changed or replaced.

Agree there have been a few situations when we are low on luck but some of our guys have been very unlucky most of their careers repeatedly....
No you didnt say that..sorry I was just being a smartarse ....but the point being I am enjoying how we play ...just not enjoying the results... :thumbsu:

Sweet Seventeen

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Worked all day came home and decided to watch the full game on replay. It was at 3 quarter time that I got home, so I knew we had the lead and was hoping for the best. The missed opportunities and turnovers late in the second seemed to sap our confidence and then in the last we had nothing. Does seem to me that we are playing injured and sore player's and this cannot go on.

Pitt--Replace with TDK and pray that he does not get injured again for the rest of the season.

Williams--Injured early in game apparently. Needs a couple of weeks at the fat farm perhaps, looks about four kilo's overweight to me.

Newnes--Cannot fault his endeavour and he was pretty good in the first couple of games this year. Last six weeks he has been very ordinary, his disposal seems way below AFL level. For mine, play LOB and give him four games to show us how he has improved his hardness.

Cripps--Seems like he has really lost his mojo. Even when he kicked that goal, his reaction was weird, like wow did I actually kick one. As joint captain and still probably our most important player, the rest of this season seems to hinge on whether he can find his form again. If he continues to play like that, then we will finish no better than 12th.

Own The Future

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
We have to stop cherry picking these assistants from clubs that are currently up and about. Look at the Saints, changing their assistants in 2019, having a rise, now treading water again.

Our main issues go way beyond that, gamestyle, setups, player positions, that's where focus is needed

Do you think our current coaching staff are equipped to improve us and implement a winning strategy?

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Well, I've slept on it and am ready to comment. Not gonna lie, I was super disappointed yesterday but I also wasn't super surprised.

The Bulldogs are a very good team, possibly the best in the League at the moment, and were coming off their first loss of the season. I've always believed that this is the very worst time to play a good side. Their intensity always goes up several notches.

However we made them look a little ordinary for much of that game despite never being anywhere near on top in the centre. Seven centre clearances against 23 is always going to mean at some point you will be farting against thunder and this is exactly what happened. We have a problem when our ruckman gets more clearances than the rest combined and at least half of his were indiscriminant kicks off the ground. Libba had more than our entire team. In this era of 6-6-6 it will always become impossible to hold a good team out with that kind of discrepancy.

But still we put a gap between them and us and but for a couple of misses that should have been goals we should have made it a bridge too far for them. I reckon this game was won and lost right there.

You can blame the coaches, the M/C all you like but what else could we have done in the centre?

Cripps, who a lot are happy to trade now, is a shadow of what he was at the moment. I don't know why but I'm confident that he will overcome. Very few players in any sport never have a form slump which is where he is ATM. I'd go so far as to say that we win that game if he is anywhere near his best. His form will come back. The problem for me is that, Walsh aside, we don't seem to have anyone who can step into that breach.

We have played and lost to 5 of last years top eight, pretty sure no other team has done that as yet, and our biggest losing margin was 28 points.

I think we are now a much better team than we've been for years and whilst I'll continue to be disappointed at losses I won't start worrying until we start getting beaten by bottom ladder sides.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
No you didnt say that..sorry I was just being a smartarse ....but the point being I am enjoying how we play ...just not enjoying the results... :thumbsu:
It’s a strange situation atm, so much good mixed in with so much bad, need to narrow the gap.... exciting but frustrating...👍

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers

Recruiting and development also needs attention, think having our own reserves team will help but need to ensure we have the right people overseeing it.

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Gary Lyon reported on radio this morning that a number of clubs are up into McKay in a very big way. IMO he is the type of player who will leave for greener pastures.
Other clubs would be negligent not to go for him. North will throw 1.5 a year (won't get him).... in the end it'll be Geelong that will get him on the cheap in comparison and the AFL will quietly change the rules allowing for up to 5 years of future picks to be traded so they can offer us a couple future firsts for him.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Well, I've slept on it and am ready to comment. Not gonna lie, I was super disappointed yesterday but I also wasn't super surprised.

The Bulldogs are a very good team, possibly the best in the League at the moment, and were coming off their first loss of the season. I've always believed that this is the very worst time to play a good side. Their intensity always goes up several notches.

However we made them look a little ordinary for much of that game despite never being anywhere near on top in the centre. Seven centre clearances against 23 is always going to mean at some point you will be farting against thunder and this is exactly what happened. We have a problem when our ruckman gets more clearances than the rest combined and at least half of his were indiscriminant kicks off the ground. Libba had more than our entire team. In this era of 6-6-6 it will always become impossible to hold a good team out with that kind of discrepancy.

But still we put a gap between them and us and but for a couple of misses that should have been goals we should have made it a bridge too far for them. I reckon this game was won and lost right there.

You can blame the coaches, the M/C all you like but what else could we have done in the centre?

Cripps, who a lot are happy to trade now, is a shadow of what he was at the moment. I don't know why but I'm confident that he will overcome. Very few players in any sport never have a form slump which is where he is ATM. I'd go so far as to say that we win that game if he is anywhere near his best. His form will come back. The problem for me is that, Walsh aside, we don't seem to have anyone who can step into that breach.

We have played and lost to 5 of last years top eight, pretty sure no other team has done that as yet, and our biggest losing margin was 28 points.

I think we are now a much better team than we've been for years and whilst I'll continue to be disappointed at losses I won't start worrying until we start getting beaten by bottom ladder sides.

What do you mean you can't blame the coaches for the discrepancy of midfield clearances

You have pitt who at least is a mature body with 8 years on an AFL list vs a first gamer, you also have Patrick Cripps who is supposed to be the best clearance player in the comp

You need to do better than a 4:1 ratio

Back