Preview Round 9 2021 - Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants, 7.25 pm @ Marvel Stadium, Sat 15 May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
2021 has certainly delivered a mixed bag for GWS on the field. After a 0-3 start, we've actually had a decent 4-1 run recently to sit just outside the 8 after the first third of the season. Our two most recent losses have been to teams sitting 1 & 2 on the ladder; and in both games we suffered injuries that impacted our ability to run out the games. That said, our last game at home against Essendon should have been a solid win after a destructive first quarter, yet ended in a nail-biting 2 point win after letting them back into the game. That's several games where we seem to have dropped off in the final quarter and something the coaches should be concerned about.

Richmond has also been impacted by injury, and are not playing as well as a 3-time premier could be expected. However, they will certainly be dangerous at home in Melbourne, no matter who they put on the field. GWs will again need to bring the heat in the midfield if we are to succeed at Marvel, somewhere that has not been a happy hunting ground for us. Taranto, Hopper, Ward and Green have been good in patches - those patches aligning to when GWS is playing well - but when the opposition get on top in the contest, GWS tends to buckle overall. The forwardline is still a work in progress, and there is likely to be further change with Jeremy Finlayson presumably rubbed out for this match. Our young defence has held up pretty well, with Sam Taylor showing everyone what a star he is; while Ash, Cumming & Idun are combing well on the counterattack. Lachie Whitfield was quiet in his second game back, which is probably understandable, but we'll need him to stand tall next weekend.

GWS really needs to win this game, with some tough matches coming up, and needing to keep in contact with the 8. Richmond are wounded, and despite playing in Melbourne, we have to dig deep and find a way to beat them as we have in the past (except in the 2019 GF, of course! :mad: )

Over to you for your thoughts on the game and key match-ups.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Following the devastating news for Keefe, no one will give a chance this weekend.

There is a chance that playing Flynn, Briggs, Riccardi - coupled with the addition of Hogan’s experience - could deliver us a speed, unpredictability and forward efficiency that catches the Tigers by surprise.

We will fail conventionally, so let’s hope Leon spins the magnets and tries something a bit unconventional.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Following the devastating news for Keefe, no one will give a chance this weekend.

There is a chance that playing Flynn, Briggs, Riccardi - coupled with the addition of Hogan’s experience - could deliver us a speed, unpredictability and forward efficiency that catches the Tigers by surprise.

We will fail conventionally, so let’s hope Leon spins the magnets and tries something a bit unconventional.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep this is what I would go with as well.

Perfect opportunity to try it.

Flynn replacing Mummy, Briggs in for Finlayson, Hogan for Sproule(Hopefully) and Riccardi for Keefe.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Yep this is what I would go with as well.

Perfect opportunity to try it.

Flynn replacing Mummy, Briggs in for Finlayson, Hogan for Sproule(Hopefully) and Riccardi for Keefe.
Sounds spot on from my perspective - but feeling like Leon will lean towards keeping Sproule in given he actually played alright (some good deliveries inside 50) and keep Briggs in the reserves

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Its a mystery as to who plays this week.... but replacing 3+ talls in a team surely never bodes well....

1620634760344.gif

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Tigers will be without:
Bolton
Cotchin
Prestia
Lambert
Edwards

Im not sure this is the week to test mummy with the inexperience that will be rotating through for them.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, this game might turn into a bit of a lottery - who's less experienced line-up can win out over the other. My biggest concern would be our backline being so inexperienced up against Richmond's settled tall forwards in Reiwoldt & Lynch.

If you look at the end of 2019, our backline was: Davis, Corr, Taylor, Haynes, Shaw, Williams, Kennedy. (Tomlinson was in the team but playing wing to an extent.)

Of those, 3 (4 if you count Tommo) are gone, and 3 are injured. Of our backups in Keeffe, Buntine & Stein, two are now out long term with just the inferior Buntine to return. That's a massive change. :(

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, this game might turn into a bit of a lottery - who's less experienced line-up can win out over the other. My biggest concern would be our backline being so inexperienced up against Richmond's settled tall forwards in Reiwoldt & Lynch.

If you look at the end of 2019, our backline was: Davis, Corr, Taylor, Haynes, Shaw, Williams, Kennedy. (Tomlinson was in the team but playing wing to an extent.)

Of those, 3 (4 if you count Tommo) are gone, and 3 are injured. Of our backups in Keeffe, Buntine & Stein, two are now out long term with just the inferior Buntine to return. That's a massive change. :(

Fair comments but how will they get it down there? Our midfield is humming and with the exception of Martin pretty much their whole midfield rotation is out.

I would like us to go al in on dominating the midfield and bring in Flynn (or Briggs) to support mummy

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
So the last time we played Richmond, our back 6 was Ash, Davis, Corr, Haynes, Keefe, Shaw with, at the time, a combined total of 785 games.

next week it looks like a back 6 of Ash, Taylor, Buckley, Idun, Cumming and either Buntine/Riccardi with a combined total games experience of 163 (Buntine) or 108 (Riccard)

whichever way it goes we’ll have at least 620+ games less experience down back going into this one.

😩

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, considering how Leon usually thinks, I suspect it will be Hogan for Finlayson and Buntine for Keeffe, keeping Mummy in. HH to chop out in the ruck. Sproule & Bruhn to hold their spots. He'll favour their experience rather than go for inexperienced option IMHO.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
We are just too young to beat Richmond in melbourne.
If we can play a good brand I’ll be satisfied.
Geez we have no midfield with Lambert, Cotch, edwards, Prestia and Bolton all out. Will be almost dusty playing a lone hand. We get grimes back but it’s one and lost in the midfield so I’m not confident. I know you blokes are missing a few as well but this is genuine 50/50.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Geez we have no midfield with Lambert, Cotch, edwards, Prestia and Bolton all out. Will be almost dusty playing a lone hand. We get grimes back but it’s one and lost in the midfield so I’m not confident. I know you blokes are missing a few as well but this is genuine 50/50.

A few? I don’t class 10 starters (give or take) as a few.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Cogs, Davis, Deboar, Finlayson, Hogan(although maybe back this week), Haynes, Daniels, Preuss, Kennedy, Reid, Keefe

There’s more as well.
Fair list and while ours isn’t as big it is really our top liners. Of our top 6 midfielders only Dusty is playing, that’s going to be hard against anyone let alone against quality like Ward, Kelly and Taranto.
Anyway should be a good game which I think is a genuine toss of the coin.

Last edited:

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Fair list and while ours isn’t as big it is really our top liners.

You don’t consider Cogs Davis Haynes De Boer Finlayson or Daniels top liners?
hmmmm ... interesting.

as I said earlier, our back 6 from the last game against Richmond has gone from 785 games experience to either 108 or 163 games experience (depending on who is brought in), but, you know, reigning premiers have to have an excuse ready for any loss I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back