Opinion 2021 Round 8 - Liked, Learnt, Hated

21B28E89-D4FD-45C3-83F9-194F2FD0DEB4.jpeg

Liked - Mothers Day at the G with all 8 of us sitting together for the first time since 2019
Shai Bolten’s historic mark, the reason footy is hands down the greatest sport in the world.

Learnt - Ben Brown has found his happy place
Might be time for a coaching change at the Hawks, they look bored and stale.

Hated - Carlton arn’t my team but they still frustrate the hell out of me

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: a good week resultswise personally. Obviously us winning, again putting together a four quarter effort to get the job done away. Ah Chee. The Dees being 8-0, want to see them break a 57 year drought if not us. Bolton's mark as well. Btw how as an Eagles fan is our win not one of your likes? Haha

Hated: not too much, actually. I guess putting money on North to win.

Learnt: maybe the Tigers have dropped off and we can't simply rely on some late season charge. Haven't written them off yet but I don't have them as favourites anymore.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Learnt: maybe the Tigers have dropped off and we can't simply rely on some late season charge. Haven't written them off yet but I don't have them as favourites anymore.
in a repeat of round 6:
shais marking
we're fukd
we're fukd

Tigers just gotta make the 8 - if enough Victorian-based teams make finals then they're a good chance of drawing a "home" final, and we know the Tiges can turn it on in September.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Liked: Winning against the benchmark, Cameron and attacking football.
Learnt: The Umpires have too much to adjudicate, Dean Margetts deliberate out of bounds is a sign of complete befuddlement in the job?
Hated: "The Nobodies" making a mockery of the game and idiots of themselves with their "prison bars" statement and effectively telling us all, none of them actually play for the current guernsey.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Tigers just gotta make the 8 - if enough Victorian-based teams make finals then they're a good chance of drawing a "home" final, and we know the Tiges can turn it on in September.
that line gets trotted out every year and its happened once in 20+ years. its top 4 or bust, and top 4 aint happening for us this year. plus that home ground is where we have been completely uncompetitive this year.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
liked -Linc McCarthy's handball of the decade. McCluggage avoiding two Freo players who then proceed to take each other out
learnt - McCluggage is the best mid in the game right now
hated - not much but the Blues capitulation was annoying

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
liked -Linc McCarthy's handball of the decade. McCluggage avoiding two Freo players who then proceed to take each other out
learnt - McCluggage is the best mid in the game right now
hated - not much but the Blues capitulation was annoying

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Liked: Fantastic round of high marking. Mihocek, Daniher, Allir, Bolton, Keath all got right up there for quality hang time.
Learnt: Brisbane clearly belong in the top 8, despite a slow start.
Hated: Intentional elbow to the head, Finlayson should get a lot more weeks than whatever the tick-box system comes up with for such a dog act.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
The game Eddie Betts played, sadly his team did not pull off the upset.
Geelong's underrated midfielders taking care of a slumping Richmond and Cameron kicking a bag.
Bolton taking the mark of the year. It is going to be hard to beat that huge hanger.
Melbourne's focused defensive effort. Should start the season a least 10-0 you'd think.
But there were no upsets, all games went pretty much as expected.

Vaccination

Senior List
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
San Jose Sharks
Liked: Geelong's second half, St Kilda coming home strong, Port's prison bars, A win at the G, Hugh McCluggage.
Learnt: Top 8 will consist of teams who ALL deserve to be there and could threaten come September.
Hated: Gold Coast and Carlton fading late. Umps had a shocker of a round. Half the guys on BigFooty would be better commentators than most of the 'experts' on either Fox or Seven.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Liked: Eddie flipping out over the Port jumper swap. Bitching about them not allowed to produce it yet there were jumpers in the stands. Glorious. McCarthys handball. Geelong and Bulldogs second halves.
Learnt: Still don't think the final 8 is set despite the expects thinking it is.
Hated: Some of the deliberate out of bounds calls were disgraceful.

Liked: Big game players in big time games. Jezza Cameron kicking 6 at the MCG in front of 50,000 is exactly what a player of his calibre deserves and me as a fan wanna see regularly!

Learnt: Kochie has a big nose. Eddie has a mean streak. Who am I kidding? I already knew both of those things. Fwiw, I’m over hearing about both of em. I think Port should be able to wear the prison bars during the showdown and I wish Collingwood would get a genuine clash strip. There’s some absolute fire alternate kits around the world in different sports.

Hated: Keyboard warriors. I’m not a huge fan of Scott Lycett, but those Instagram messages he got after the showdown are not on. Glad he named and shamed.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Liked: Melbourne-Sydney was played at a rapid intensity I’ve seldom seen in this sport. Enthralling.

Learnt: My maligned pair of B. Ah Chee/Petru had their best game together on the weekend. Poor oppo vulturing or watch this space? Tom McDonald is also a beast. Also nice to Fyfe back in his formative role, even if it came with the yips.

Hated: The Suns & Carlton wilts were disappointing, evidence that 2021 finals footy is a pipe dream.

Back