Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it’s me, but i just don’t have it in me to have such ‘hate’ (albeit it’s Internet hate that I’m seeing, so who really knows), so I’m just continually astounded that people give that much of a s#it over a game.
I find the insecurity more astounding. People going over to other boards worrying about what we're saying about them and vice versa.
I just don't understand why anyone would care.
It'd be like North Korea listening in to South Korea every day for the past 50 years going "maybe today they've finally realised we're the best and want to be like us."
Then getting the shits when they haven't.

We should use both approaches definately.
The weighting to the hold and control side has however been far too high. We got the balance much better last night.

at one point, hawkins marked the ball at centre half bank turned straight around and tried to kick a torp straight down the guts. When has a player at our club last had a license to do that? We were losing at the time to.

Agree we got the balance right - the other huge difference was our retention of the footy - Tigers scored mainly from turnovers in the first half.
That dried up considerably when we moved the footy and didn't turn it over - our score from back half was off the chain as we did our best impression of 2007 and effortlessly move it from back half to inside our F50.
It's a long season and no doubt there will be twists and turns but that game shows us what we're capable of :thumbsu:

You keep hearing idiots saying that Geel are going to fall off this cliff - and fall mighty hard - and they keep quoting the age brackets - which is utter bullshiit - you have to look at the individual players one by one

Dahlaus is 28 and is finished as an AFL footballer - compare that to Isaac Smith - who is 32 - he is not hitting any wall soon - playing great football - still got his pace

Heard Harry Taylor on the radio Sat morning - and he said - quote - Gary Rohan is lighting quick - the quickest bloke on the list - which he added contains 3 Norm Smith sprint winners - well id rather a 30 year old who is the quickest bloke on the list - than some 26-27 year old who has lost a yard

Hawkins - hes going great guns - where is this imaginary wall that he is suddenly going to hit

Sellwood - well even on this Geel board - you read posters saying - oh look Joel is on his last legs - the end can come very quick - well in my opinion that is utter bulldust - you look at the best player votes given by posters on this Cats board - and Joel is in the best players every week !!! . Selwood will be like Michael Tuck - he will play to a high standard to his final game - and just like the Hawks did with Tuck - they will force Joel to retire at some distant point - apparently Tucky still hasnt forgiven the Hawks for that - hah

You keep hearing idiots saying that Geel are going to fall off this cliff - and fall mighty hard - and they keep quoting the age brackets - which is utter bullshiit - you have to look at the individual players one by one

Dahlaus is 28 and is finished as an AFL footballer - compare that to Isaac Smith - who is 32 - he is not hitting any wall soon - playing great football - still got his pace

Heard Harry Taylor on the radio Sat morning - and he said - quote - Gary Rohan is lighting quick - the quickest bloke on the list - which he added contains 3 Norm Smith sprint winners - well id rather a 30 year old who is the quickest bloke on the list - than some 26-27 year old who has lost a yard

Hawkins - hes going great guns - where is this imaginary wall that he is suddenly going to hit

Sellwood - well even on this Geel board - you read posters saying - oh look Joel is on his last legs - the end can come very quick - well in my opinion that is utter bulldust - you look at the best player votes given by posters on this Cats board - and Joel is in the best players every week !!! . Selwood will be like Michael Tuck - he will play to a high standard to his final game - and just like the Hawks did with Tuck - they will force Joel to retire at some distant point - apparently Tucky still hasnt forgiven the Hawks for that - hah
do you understand what a normal distribution is? Just cos the age Cliff doesn’t hit everyone at the same age doesn’t mean it does not exist. It still exists and still kills a side. For every 33 year old still going strong there is a 28 year who is done before he was expected to be done.

we have just been lucky in that we keep recruiting players to replace the ones falling off the cliff. how sustainable will that be.

do you understand what a normal distribution is? Just cos the age Cliff doesn’t hit everyone at the same age doesn’t mean it does not exist. It still exists and still kills a side. For every 33 year old still going strong there is a 28 year who is done before he was expected to be done.

we have just been lucky in that we keep recruiting players to replace the ones falling off the cliff. how sustainable will that be.

No disagree totally

You look at Richmond - who also have got quite a few older players

Take Shane Edwards ( who unfortunately got injured Frid night - and it had nothing to with his age - he just got twisted/tangled in that contest/tackle )

Edwards is 32 - using your approach - oh shiit hes in the wrong age bracket - he will be finishing up at the end of the year - that is nonsense . Edwards is still quick - and agile - if he wants to he could keep playing good football for another 2-3 years

Thats how you have to look at it - on an individual player by player basis

Long may we remain so “lucky”!

Yeah thats it - the Cats are so lucky - and have been so lucky for so long

If you have got a racing background - similar statement - i once heard Tommy Smith say - the legendary T J Smith - he called Bart Cummings - " a lucky Mug " - hah
Can’t remember who it was, maybe Malcolm Blight, said “funny thing about it was, the more I practiced the luckier I got!”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statistically false.
on average you should win a premiership once every 18 years, and make a GF once every 9 years.
This of course completely ignores other available information, such as Geelong finishing in the top 8 in all but one of 2012-2020 and the top 4 numerous times, implying much better chances of a GF appearance and flag. But sure.

What a rant!

"There's no doubt at all we should have made more than one GF." Thanks for confusing your opinion with fact; there's just not enough of that on the internet.
Mate, it's a footy forum not a class on formal rhetoric. Was responding to a post having a crack at anyone who dares question whether anything has ever been less than perfect in the club's approach. These people always come out of the woodwork after good wins and tell everyone off for lacking their blind faith, they are the same species as the critics who only appear after bad losses.

I find the insecurity more astounding. People going over to other boards worrying about what we're saying about them and vice versa.
It'd be like North Korea listening in to South Korea every day for the past 50 years going "maybe today they've finally realised we're the best and want to be like us."
It’s not insecurity that made me make the comment. It was just the level of discussion was very very low and basic. I was a bit shocked that there isn’t a bit more thought to it. The majority was all just “hur dur duckwood...”

It wasn’t insecurity that made me go have a look either. On game day I like to look at the opposition board, the main board and our board, especially if we win, as I want to savour the victory and reliving the live comments is one way.

I must admit I love having a peek at the 'opposition teams' thread on the Hawthorn board after a Geelong game, win or loss. We actually got a bit of grudging respect after this win over the Tuggers!

No disagree totally

You look at Richmond - who also have got quite a few older players

Take Shane Edwards ( who unfortunately got injured Frid night - and it had nothing to with his age - he just got twisted/tangled in that contest/tackle )

Edwards is 32 - using your approach - oh shiit hes in the wrong age bracket - he will be finishing up at the end of the year - that is nonsense . Edwards is still quick - and agile - if he wants to he could keep playing good football for another 2-3 years

Thats how you have to look at it - on an individual player by player basis

Brent 'Boomer' Harvey retired on a record 432 games and STILL had another year or two in him I reckon.

Brent 'Boomer' Harvey retired on a record 432 games and STILL had another year or two in him I reckon.

Last played in 2016 and based on how North's gone the past couple of seasons he may still be in their best 22, 5 years on

It’s not insecurity that made me make the comment. It was just the level of discussion was very very low and basic. I was a bit shocked that there isn’t a bit more thought to it. The majority was all just “hur dur duckwood...”

It wasn’t insecurity that made me go have a look either. On game day I like to look at the opposition board, the main board and our board, especially if we win, as I want to savour the victory and reliving the live comments is one way.
For sure. I liked your post and agree with you. Also I think we should be able to go on the main board again one day without all the bullshit that's gone on for years.
It was just an observation I was making, since we were making observations.

Mate, it's a footy forum not a class on formal rhetoric. Was responding to a post having a crack at anyone who dares question whether anything has ever been less than perfect in the club's approach. These people always come out of the woodwork after good wins and tell everyone off for lacking their blind faith, they are the same species as the critics who only appear after bad losses.
They do! There's always one or two that come on here purely just to bag cats supporters after a good win and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back