Autopsy Rd 8 vs Dogs - 16 point loss. Let's not sugar coat it ... we choked!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit harsh on Dow

Soft as butter mate and ordinary in everything else - people laud his 'quick hands' as if most AFL on ballers dont have quick hands....has a nice evasive step in congestion and when he gets clear has no class in his kicking. Looks a very ordinary player by any measure. We are stacked with so called inside mids who cant inside mid.

Just listened to teagues presser and was about to post something similar. What struck me is that he suggested when we start to try to slow things down and chip it around we are worse off. That is true but not because we shouldn’t be slowing play down rather a combo of poor execution, not enough workrate or smarts to create easy options. I guess if they aren’t training for this sufficiently then it’s not surprising. Starting to become more and more concerned re the coach.

Seems to want to rely on talent more than system?
Exactly Its the way we have been playing under Teague the whole time relying on individual brilliance to try and influence the result rather than team play and having as many contributors as possible .
The biggest indicator for mine is he has basically abandoned any emphasis on fwd pressure which was something he was driving as an assistant near to when he became the head coach .
Its why Harry is leading the goalkicking with 30 and next best until this weeks 5 from Eddie now 10 was 6 from Gibbons .
Its Fevola centric style footy under Ratten all over again .

Last edited:

Pretty useless stat without context - take yesterdays game for example, he was doing SFA when he got injured yesterday, barely involved, 5 touches and two of those were shocking misses on goal. His injury yesterday had no bearing on the outcome.

Totally agree, I could not see this so called great game that JSOS was stringing together before injury, struggled to find the footy. A good player/forward does not miss 2 sodas in a row.

So..how on earth did we lead by 27 points late in the 3rd quarter?

Serious question

A combination of a super solid backline lead by Weitering, great play through the guts by Ed, Cunners and Walsh, and Eddie turning back the clock to kick 5 straight helped by Owies and H.

The reason we weren't more than 27 point up is the umps gifted them a number of goals, and we butchered some shots. They're not that good, but they were dominating clearances against our pathetic centre square set-up, got momentum going, and we as we tired we lost confidence/decision making/skills erc.

You sound like you are resigned to him leaving. Are you?
Don‘t forget that * offered him big money at the end of last year. They will do it again for sure,

Cripps will stay and McKay will too, is my guess.

Cripps stocks are low now anyway, can’t see why freo would be offering him a mega contract at this point.

I wouldn’t give Cripps anymore than 3 years.

McKay will stay, we will sign him on decent coin and long term.

The game plan of all out attack, shootout style is not sound in my opinion.

Successful teams have better defensive systems/structures in the back half and better forward 50 and midfield pressure.

Either Dale Amos needs to change his system to a “team defensive system” or convince the forward & mid coaches to demand the effort from their areas that his current system requires.

If these coaches cannot get the required commitment to the team cause from these players there will be only 2 options, replace the coaches or replace the players......

Who oversees all of this.....

It's not the backline (Amos) that's the issue, it's the other 2 lines giving up 60 inside 50s.

It's not the backline (Amos) that's the issue, it's the other 2 lines giving up 60 inside 50s.
I'm curious about our forward line's contribution towards this. Are there any stats available for team rankings in total tackles inside 50 for each game, along with total number of stoppages inside 50?

I'm curious about our forward line's contribution towards this. Are there any stats available for team rankings in total tackles inside 50 for each game, along with total number of stoppages inside 50?
Dont know about stoppages but I believe we are now last for inside 50 tackles its a concern imo .

Given the centre clearance differential it's pretty clear one of our problems in coughing up so many inside 50's was the midfield.

I haven't seen any of the game but did we lock it forward well and for long or did it come back out like a rubber ball off a trampoline?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Harry leaves the rebuild is basically cooked.

Put 5 years of development into him, to finally have a break out season. Would be shattering if he left.

Must hold onto him.
Harry's manager: 'You pay $800K per season for 4 big name recruits, none of which have performed. Can't see why you won't pay $900K for Harry on a 6 year contract. Lot's of other clubs that will and offer more.... Sydney comes to mind...

2022 Sam Walsh's manager: He is the most consistent midfielder you have. If those 4 recruits are worth 800K, then my guy is surely worth 8 million over 8 years...

Jones and Saad have been terrible defensively this year. Their direct opponents have hurt us on numerous occasions. Will be interesting to see who Jones goes to this week? Bruce was their best forward!
Stocker and Parks have been better 1v1 in the back half and that tells the story.
Having said that, thank goodness Doc is coming good and Plowman/Weitering have been the rocks.

Jones and Saad have been terrible defensively this year. Their direct opponents have hurt us on numerous occasions. Will be interesting to see who Jones goes to this week? Bruce was their best forward!
Stocker and Parks have been better 1v1 in the back half and that tells the story.
Having said that, thank goodness Doc is coming good and Plowman/Weitering have been the rocks.

60 inside 50s. 60!
It wasn't our backline that was the issue defensively.

60 inside 50s. 60!
It wasn't our backline that was the issue defensively.

Agree our center bounce clearances were embarrassing. Our forward flankers ineffective, our wingers not getting enough ball.....I could keep going but don't sugar coat our backline either. Jones is a leader and when he tries to mark instead of punch 4 man in line - I loose my sh1t. Under 10's stuff. Don't even start me on Saaaaad.... anyway all good.

Is it possible Cripps got a jab at half time and needed to wait for it to kick in?

Hence the starting on the bench.
Watch the first contest he was in when he did go back on ground- winced with pain....

Agree our center bounce clearances were embarrassing. Our forward flankers ineffective, our wingers not getting enough ball.....I could keep going but don't sugar coat our backline either. Jones is a leader and when he tries to mark instead of punch 4 man in line - I loose my sh1t. Under 10's stuff. Don't even start me on Saaaaad.... anyway all good.

Saad was very poor yesterday, didn't look right.
But, we let them have 16 more inside 50s than us for one more shot. And the umps gave them a massive hand. Can't be blaming the backline.

Saad was very poor yesterday, didn't look right.
But, we let them have 16 more inside 50s than us for one more shot. And the umps gave them a massive hand. Can't be blaming the backline.
Stamos.....

Levi/Cripps/Williams/Saad are all playing sore/injured - no doubt Cripps is on pain killers to get through games- he cant bend and cant move into a jog in second half....Williams is moving purely on will power and Levi has been on one leg since round one....

Sometimes injuries are not an excuse- but a 'reason'.... and no there arent a plethora of alternatives in VFL for genuine midfield spots....

The Club is trying to jag a win against Top4 sides to stay in the hunt and rolling the dice on injury V high midfield draft picks that are quite frankly not AFL quality -yet if ever - and that ios not even going near the injury list we have been carrying since before the season even started.

No one wants to hear it - just like no one wanted to hear the fact that Ratts had 12 starting players injured for the much of season 2012.

Things arent as bad as disapointment suggests - with all teh negatives teh dishlickers had to rely on umps to keep them in the game and ,missed easy shots from usual suspects to get away with being able to run over the top of half teh on ball brigade being done by end of Q3.

Play the game again with McGovern/Martin/Fisher/TDK and a fit Cripps/Williams/Levi/Saad and we kill these chest puffing puppies.

You will have to be patient.

Yesterday was a tough loss, but it feels like we're not too far off it clicking, our midfield is clearly the problem. If we can fix this we'll be winning those matches. We desperately need to find another 2 contributing mids.

Cuners has impact whenever he gets near the ball, we need him averaging 20-25 touches not the 12 he had yesterday. This is on the coaches to extend his impact and role.

Fringe guys like Dow, Setters, O'Brien, SPS cementing their spot. We need at least 2 of these guys cementing a spot and playing well consistently.

I don't even know what to say with Williams... whether it's fitness and conditioning or something else, I'm at a loss. Feels like he needs to play half back to open up a spot for one of the younger guys to play mid and half forward.

Opposition know he is playing hurt and are not letting him off the hook. Every opportunity they are belting him.
Not the signs of a player who has 'checked out' is it? reading these forums after watching teh game myself - and I see how few have actually played contact sport at any level.

Back