Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

I am all for rewarding form but Brockman came in to this season best 22 and has never lowered his colours, shouldn’t have been playing VFL but glad to see he took it well and fought his way back in to the team.

I like Brockman, but he was very bad vs Geelong , save for a late snap on goal. He fumbled and was easily moved off the line of the footy. He deserved to be dropped. He needs a block of games like a young Breust had at Box hill when he was pushing to get in the side and stay there. Unfortunately we aren't as talented as that side to keep him out.

I like Brockman, but he was very bad vs Geelong , save for a late snap on goal. He fumbled and was easily moved off the line of the footy. He deserved to be dropped. He needs a block of games like a young Breust had at Box hill when he was pushing to get in the side and stay there. Unfortunately we aren't as talented as that side to keep him out.
I remember similar descriptions about Breust in his early days.
People often accused him of going missing, being scared of body contact etc
The thing about Brockman is he isn't overawed by game pressure - he just executes like that classy snap goal a few weeks back.
Breust was the same.

Last edited:

Even the best small forwards go missing, it's one of the hardest spots to play and the hardest spot in the game to be consistent. We need to play for the rest of the season.

Would love to see him back in but not sure about Hanrahan making way - he has been really improved since his return. Brocky might have to wait.
IMHO both Hanrahan and Moore are good VFL players, that is their ceiling

We won’t improve as a side with them

I remember similar descriptions about Breust in his early days.
People often accused him of going missing, being scared of body contact etc
The thing about Brockman is he isn't overawed by game pressure - he just executes like that classy snap goal a few weeks back.
Breust was the same.

Yes , Bruest was very similar ... he was sub for like 15 games in a row ? He got dropped for the finals as well.

If your body isn’t up to it , there’s no shame letting them develop at box hill until they have a form line that demands they play seniors.

One game at box hill where he kicks 2 and has a hand in a couple whilst not great statistically and doesn’t scream promotion. As a small forward he doesn’t need to win it 20 times and kick 5 , he just needs to tackle , chase and harass ... kick a couple himself and assist in chains of play consistently(a few weeks) at the lower level to say you’re good enough now to hone your craft in the seniors.

Yes , Bruest was very similar ... he was sub for like 15 games in a row ? He got dropped for the finals as well.

If your body isn’t up to it , there’s no shame letting them develop at box hill until they have a form line that demands they play seniors.

One game at box hill where he kicks 2 and has a hand in a couple whilst not great statistically and doesn’t scream promotion. As a small forward he doesn’t need to win it 20 times and kick 5 , he just needs to tackle , chase and harass ... kick a couple himself and assist in chains of play consistently(a few weeks) at the lower level to say you’re good enough now to hone your craft in the seniors.
Brockman is much more physically developed than Breust was back then.
He actually looks quite solid for an 18 y.o. if his size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm coming round to this idea very slowly- both are showing bits but it's fairly inconsistent. For mine Brocky is a clear replacement for them, but do we currently have another on our list? Could Smitch become the player that we need in that part of the ground?
Would love for our injury list to disappear.

They're both AFL standard IMO.
You just don't want to have 3-4 of that calibre in your best squad of 25, let alone best 22.
They wouldn't get a sniff during our premiership years.
I doubt they would have stayed on the list for more than 2 years.

I would have said the same re Harry M last year, but I feel he has turned a corner, particularly with his disposal.
Hanrahan, Moore, Morrison are all pretty impressive ball-in-hand - but basically they all need to stay involved.

Clarko put it on Morrison pre-season to get more of the ball, saying it would be a milestone for him to get 30 disposals in a match (he did it pre-season).

Hanrahan is a great goalsneak but not a great marking presence, so needs to keep his pressure acts and contested work up to keep his spot. Is starting to kick a bit straighter which also helps... He was starting to enter Will Langford territory.

Moore had a fantastic start to the season and provides some excellent hardness and skill (his back-with-the-flight mark against Freo was just about my 2021 highlight so far). We really lack a bit of hardness at the ball in the forward half in general. If he keeps that up, he'll be a part of our future forward line.

Brockman... the comparisons to Shai Bolton are nice, but premature. I watched him at a stoppage in our preseason game, and he looked like he knew exactly what he was doing, losing his opponent and got the handball receive. I hope he's back into the forward line this week, but probably not if Wingard and O'Meara are ready to go. Gonna be very tight for spots up forward, especially if they give the four-tall forward line another go.

Bruest was drafted one year after we won the flag, 2009. Can't compare him not getting games early to Brockman. Brockman is being kept out of a bottom 2 team trumpeting a rebuild.

Sure Brocky might have areas to work on, but how many 18 year old small forwards average 1.5 goals a game early in their career?

It's a bit like Worpel being shifted to high half forward, and maybe with Finn tagging/running patterns, we seem to look more on what a young player can't do. And that might be fine if you are in a better space list wise, but to it doesn't mirror up with a full, wholly embraced, rebuild.

I suspect he comes in this week with that said.

Last edited:
Smalls pre this draft have a whole bunch of draftees, including S Mitchell, Saunders and Brockman breathing down their necks.

Strangely enough I’m more pro Hanrahan than I have been in previous years. When he is on he seems to get the job done reasonably well

Bruest was drafted one year after we won the flag, 2009. Can't compare him not getting games early to Brockman. Brockman is being kept out of a bottom 2 team trumpeting a rebuild.

Sure Brocky might have areas to work on, but how many 18 year old small forwards average 1.5 goals a game early in their career?

It's a bit like Worpel being shifted to high half forward, and maybe with Finn tagging/running patterns, we seem to look more on what a young player can't do. And that might be fine if you are in a better space list wise, but to it doesn't mirror up with a full, wholly embraced, rebuild.

I suspect he comes in this week with that said.
Is Brockman being kept out, or did they just want to see more than 1 game of him doing what was required as Mitchell wrote.

They’ve now seen two games in a row where he’s probably done enough at Box Hill...if he’s not brought in you might be able to argue that he is being “kept out”, but even then, after Mitchell saying that Brockman needs to show consistency there’s a very real argument that 2 games is not enough

Is Brockman being kept out, or did they just want to see more than 1 game of him doing what was required as Mitchell wrote.

They’ve now seen two games in a row where he’s probably done enough at Box Hill...if he’s not brought in you might be able to argue that he is being “kept out”, but even then, after Mitchell saying that Brockman needs to show consistency there’s a very real argument that 2 games is not e
Even physically, playing a full year at AFL at that age would be an issue, so a few games at BHH just to get through a few games is good for him.

I'd like to see him come in though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back