Autopsy Losing a home game at the Gabba - round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve figured out who Darcy reminds me of, Jokic in the nba. Compared to his peers, he has the athleticism of 2 year old learning to walk but he’s competitiveness and fundamentals make him elite. Can’t say enough positive things about the big fella, serious footballer with a ridiculous career ahead of him

Agree with Duffield's analysis this time around. Only a matter of time before Nat Fyfes goal kicking costs us a close one. Harsher critics might say it has already cost us a premiership. Other than that, as E Shed said. Its all about continuity. I get so despondent watching games when yet *another* player goes down with a 5 or 6 week injury.

(The Big-Baby is an absolute legend.)

Worth adding that Big Baby's post-game interview had me up and about. You could hear how badly he wants us to tear games apart and it sounded to me like he's poised to take on a natural leadership role in the team. I feel like when your young players have the attitude that they're good enough but not being consistent you're on to a good thing.
Some buddy I am...completely missed that interview:(

Not much I can say after 10 pages of varying analysis, but I want to highlight one thing.

Big Sean played a ripper.

That's as good of an all round game as a ruck man can play. His second efforts and clean handling below his knees really show that he has a huge amount of potential still in him. I'd like to see a few more marks around the ground, but that's getting a little bit picky.

The next big step, and it will happen at some stage, is the realisation that he is a big, bad motherf***er who has the capacity to dominate games and become a leader on the field. And to think, his best footy is still 4-6 years away.

Absolutely. I get the impression he's beginning to realise how strong he is/can get. The brick wall tackle against North, his second efforts and the way he almost contemptuously snatched the ball away at ground level yesterday was impressive (blasphemy I know but reminded me a little of Nic Nat at his destructive best). Carry on this trajectory, and continue improving as a forward, he won't just be the best ruck in the game, he'll be pushing to be one of the best players.

I’ve figured out who Darcy reminds me of, Jokic in the nba. Compared to his peers, he has the athleticism of 2 year old learning to walk but he’s competitiveness and fundamentals make him elite. Can’t say enough positive things about the big fella, serious footballer with a ridiculous career ahead of him
that is such a good thought snuff.

Darcy may be the kind of ruckmen to average over a goal a game (currently doing). whilst simultaneously averaging grundy level taps (which he did in first season) and possessions (currently at 15, needs to get to 20).

I feel like you feel like I went after you a bit, but my point was that it's actually really hard to find quality tall forwards. I don't think there are even two for every team, I don't think there are 30 in the league.

I think we shouldn't expect a player drafted even top ten to be the solution and be very thankful that we got lucky to offer the opportunity to a workhorse like Matt Taberner.

brisbane had three on the park.

Jack was pick 13 I think. Nick was #1.

McKay currently looks unplayable. If the ball comes in remotely in his advantage, he marks it. Gives me hope we can get quality in around the 7-11 mark (where we will be picking this year).

he was 13...in the shuffLe where we gave Collingwood pick 8 and a small forward who was kicking over 50 goals a game for Tarrant

Not much I can say after 10 pages of varying analysis, but I want to highlight one thing.

Big Sean played a ripper.

That's as good of an all round game as a ruck man can play. His second efforts and clean handling below his knees really show that he has a huge amount of potential still in him. I'd like to see a few more marks around the ground, but that's getting a little bit picky.

The next big step, and it will happen at some stage, is the realisation that he is a big, bad motherf***er who has the capacity to dominate games and become a leader on the field. And to think, his best footy is still 4-6 years away.
love this, he has really taken a step forward this season. Worst game was last week but even then he broke even!
Statistically smashing his opponents, genuinely delivering the mids first class service and he's actually become out best set shot for goal alongside Mundy! Yesterday when he lined up for that shot I was genuinely shocked at how certain I was that it was going to sail through, and it did he nailed it!

I'm really starting to wonder if he's a big part of our problem.

He's obviously turned into a pretty decent player who consistently kicks goals, but as our main target up forward he either does what you were saying or consistently leads out to the pocket. Seriously, how many times do you see him lead wide compared to straight up the middle?

And watching Daniher today I suddenly had an epiphany why Tabs standing behind his man gesturing to kick it over the top is so frustrating... he can't jump! Have you ever seen Tabs get more than 30cm off the ground or launch off someone's back like Daniher did to Cox today? Why consistently motion for it over the back when you can't jump over the top of the defender pushing back into you?

I'm not saying get rid of Tabs or anything stupid like that, but we really need a lead at the boot forward to straighten us back up and make us less Tab conscious. Get Treacy back in the team!
Notice this yesterday too.
Schulz had a breakaway situation, freed himself around 60m on the boundary. He was looking for a lead. Lots of ground for Tabs to run into. Instead he wanted one over the back. Resultant kick is Schulz doesn’t get enough distance and Lo behold Gardiner gets an uncontested mark with Tabs practically in the goal square.
If Tabs does that, might as well just kick the goal.
That’s up to Hale to organise.
Don’t forget against Adelaide, Schulz had a breakaway as well got some space and kicked a low bullet pass on the lead to Tabs. Was a beauty.
You’d think Tabs turned the corner and instead leads to the ball after that. The last two weeks it’s back to the kick it high, long gesture. Not sure if that’s due to double teaming Tabs, but the forward line has been garbage the past fortnight.

Agree with Duffield's analysis this time around. Only a matter of time before Nat Fyfes goal kicking costs us a close one. Harsher critics might say it has already cost us a premiership. Other than that, as E Shed said. Its all about continuity. I get so despondent watching games when yet *another* player goes down with a 5 or 6 week injury.

(The Big-Baby is an absolute legend.)
Come close to saying many times Fyfe killed the momentum in big matches. Perfect example.. that GF. First shot of the game, marks and kicks it.. out on the full.
He has a weird technique kicking the ball. Mundy is so smooth, like a golf swing. Watching Fyfe is just awkward. Is it due to his wing span? His ball drop?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure...as second tall hipwood has kicked 2 a game...

Why would we want that sort of serviceable? By the end of the year he’ll have kicked 40 goals plus...
He hasn't yet as in yet in his career, but that he does better with the inclusion of someone else ahead of his says to me that he isn't in the top level of forwards.

Tabs is the issue with the forward line. Plain and simple. His leading patterns or lack there of are what ruins any synergy up front. He knows he is the alpha dog up forward. If he consistently lead up at the ball carrier it would make the roles of the secondary forward so much easier. His ability to consistently hold his space or look for the cheap one over the back makes life for opposition defenders sooo much easier. A hard lead straight up at the ball carrier even if ignored creates a vaccum of space behind for a small or secondary target to take up.

Tabs is the issue with the forward line. Plain and simple. His leading patterns or lack there of are what ruins any synergy up front. He knows he is the alpha dog up forward. If he consistently lead up at the ball carrier it would make the roles of the secondary forward so much easier. His ability to consistently hold his space or look for the cheap one over the back makes life for opposition defenders sooo much easier. A hard lead straight up at the ball carrier even if ignored creates a vaccum of space behind for a small or secondary target to take up.
How can you bag the guy that averages about 3 goals a game and not the other forwards that contribute fk all?

he‘s part of it.

There was an instance on the weekend where Somny was leading backwards into the pocket. He has his man beaten. the ball was being popped over the top.

Firstly, the kick didn’t have the legs so Sonny didn’t mark it. but seeing these things in front of him Tabs led out and dragged his man to the contest. Stupid

How can you bag the guy that averages about 3 goals a game and not the other forwards that contribute fk all?

If he didn't lead his man to where we have a one on one and congest the area the other forwards might contribute goals .
Sometimes he needs to draw his man away from the contest.
He contributes to the dysfunction.
No one is suggesting Tabs not playing but he isn't the best at reading the play

To all the posters on here deriding the coach and team and dropping their bundle. How do you compare our performance against Brisbane when the Tigers dish up a 10 goal defeat to the Cats? Even 'good' sides have down days and as Darcy said after the match they are and need to be focussed on putting in 4 quarters. Four quarter performances are an achilles heel of young and injured sides.

The expectation of fans of all teams in AFL is unrealistic, footy is a grueling sport. Teams are simply not going to be winning every game and a loss does not mean the sky is falling, still 66% of the season to go. Sheez...
My expectations are pretty much driven by the club. Have a listen to the expectations of the club’s leaders when they appointed Longmuir. Or when the club cleans out the S&C due to persistent issues with injuries, my expectation is that the injury issues improve. Or, when a forward structure using 3 talls appears to result in a significantly improved forward performance, then any non injury related changes to that structure I expect an improvement. That kind of thing.

Instead, those issues indicate that we are still way back in the throws of a rebuild, and that is not what I expected. And my fear is that it has a disconnect with the playing future of three of our best players, two of which we still appear to be totally dependent on, and have no apparent replacements for. If that occurs it indicates we may be in for an even longer rebuild than the club has suggested we can expect.

Isn’t that an issue for the forward coach to address? Taberner seems like very much a team player to me and if there is a clear instruction he’d be following it.

true. sometimes it takes time to master the alpha dog role. jack riewolt played a different role in 2017 and the forward line functioned far better. I think we lack a tall who recklessly attacks in the air and splits packs apart.

Instead, those issues indicate that we are still way back in the throws of a rebuild, and that is not what I expected. And my fear is that it has a disconnect with the playing future of three of our best players, two of which we still appear to be totally dependent on, and have no apparent replacements for. If that occurs it indicates we may be in for an even longer rebuild than the club has suggested we can expect.
It feels bad at the moment, but we obviously haven't hit that point where the young players take that step up. We still have way too many blokes that only turn up every second game or 2/3. You don't get out of the rebuild stage until most of your players are reasonably consistent. Then you know your level and that's when you get worried if it isn't that good. 15 of on the weekend have played less than 100 games. When you consider some of the names in the 50-100 and 100+ bracket you realise why we aren't that good.

Conca (probably the most consistent)
Acres
Aish (I still think is decent most of the time)
Colyer
Blakely
Lobb (not as bad as made out but still not amazing)
Wilson (again not as bad)

Some of those blokes are decent players, but none other than Conca or maybe Aish turn up most weeks. Add in Walters being a little off and suddenly the core that is supposed to carry us doesn't look that good.

I think it pays to put away the rules of thumb, take a look past the stats and I think it will show you why we are where we are. I also think you've taken the bait if you think rebuilds are 5 years then finals.

It feels bad at the moment, but we obviously haven't hit that point where the young players take that step up. We still have way too many blokes that only turn up every second game or 2/3. You don't get out of the rebuild stage until most of your players are reasonably consistent. Then you know your level and that's when you get worried if it isn't that good. 15 of on the weekend have played less than 100 games. When you consider some of the names in the 50-100 and 100+ bracket you realise why we aren't that good.

Conca (probably the most consistent)
Acres
Aish (I still think is decent most of the time)
Colyer
Blakely
Lobb (not as bad as made out but still not amazing)
Wilson (again not as bad)

Some of those blokes are decent players, but none other than Conca or maybe Aish turn up most weeks. Add in Walters being a little off and suddenly the core that is supposed to carry us doesn't look that good.

I think it pays to put away the rules of thumb, take a look past the stats and I think it will show you why we are where we are. I also think you've taken the bait if you think rebuilds are 5 years then finals.
I’m comfortable with rebuilding taking time. But I actually think every single one of those players can improve their performance. I’d add Walters and Crowden to the list of players who have more to offer than they currently are. Duman was important last year and irrelevant this year.

It’s similar to the comment that Taberner is the problem in our forward line because he has bad leading patterns. That is an issue that should easily be addressed by the forward coach. Clubs who get maximum results from their foot soldiers go a long way to playing in finals. We just aren’t doing that.

Surprisingly, I think we are once again resembling an effort based side lacking a clear strategy. Fyfe out of the midfield and we are sub par the clearest indication. Mind you I think that is also where he should be playing.

After 5 years rebuilding I do expect significant improvement. Slow train coming.

If he didn't lead his man to where we have a one on one and congest the area the other forwards might contribute goals .
Sometimes he needs to draw his man away from the contest.
He contributes to the dysfunction.
No one is suggesting Tabs not playing but he isn't the best at reading the play
I read it as Tabs having to do so much, just like Fyfe in the midfield. Run all day and try to be the hero.
If only Lobb and Tabs work smarter and less away from each other. Adelaide game was a good example. When players lower their eyes and allow fowards to run towards the carrier, Freo are dangerous. The last two weeks just revert back to the lazy inside 50s. Funny how we got beaten comprehensively but more inside 50s v Brisbane whereas we loss that stat v Adelaide but won.
The coaches need to revert back to quality v quantity method and allow the players in the forward line to do that.

Watching the Geelong game I thought, eat your heart out Tabs. There was Tom, watching his new playmates, in Rohan, Cameron and that Isaac Smith kicking goals with gay abandon all-around him. Tabs only problem is support as others have mentioned. It's unnecessary to scapegoat him for the forwards woes imho.

Switta makes a difference in there and so did Treacy seem to. As big as he is, he seemed to make space. Cerra back, helps in the midfield and so with delivery into the forward line.

The real problem is Fyfie. If he'd kicked those goals, every game would have become very different as people have said. Is it bio mechanical, is it remnants of concussion? Is it in his head? has he got a sore foot? I just don't know and anyway, nothing I can say is of any value because I thought we'd beat West Coast and I now put Kennedy in the same basket as Gagf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back