Preview Changes v Carlton, Rd 9

Not a chance on what we have seen, still the same nervous wreck in defense he has been since his debut. Just lucky to have quality players around him to help overcome his terrible play, if we werent top of the ladder you would see him for what he is and judge him far more harshly.
He's played about 10 games. Most of which were up forward as the KPF. Doesn't look anywhere near as nervous.

He's played about 10 games. Most of which were up forward as the KPF. Doesn't look anywhere near as nervous.

I agree, looked way more comfortable as a forward.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The way players and coaches talk up Petty remind me of the way they talked up Spargo for a couple of years, and it's taken him a fair while before becoming a settled, AFL-quality player. I reckon Petty can become a solid KPD, maybe not a gamebreaker but someone you can rely on to nullify a KPF.

The way players and coaches talk up Petty remind me of the way they talked up Spargo for a couple of years, and it's taken him a fair while before becoming a settled, AFL-quality player. I reckon Petty can become a solid KPD, maybe not a gamebreaker but someone you can rely on to nullify a KPF.
Which is all we need right now, really. May has a good three years of footy left.

Spargo looked a player from day one to me. Never doubted how comfortable he looked at AFL level.

Not a chance on what we have seen, still the same nervous wreck in defense he has been since his debut. Just lucky to have quality players around him to help overcome his terrible play, if we werent top of the ladder you would see him for what he is and judge him far more harshly.
He stuffed up two contests on Saturday but in hindsight was pretty damn good. I was worried he was going to end up on Buddy inadvertently and get torched but nope. Given how he has looked previously it’s a pretty good first up.

Question is what happens if and when teams try to go through him but they were trying that with Tommo too.

He stuffed up two contests on Saturday but in hindsight was pretty damn good. I was worried he was going to end up on Buddy inadvertently and get torched but nope. Given how he has looked previously it’s a pretty good first up.

Question is what happens if and when teams try to go through him but they were trying that with Tommo too.

Our defensive system is so good we can cover it, Petty played behind the ball by himself a lot this week coz we didn't trust him with Franklin, but there will be weeks where May is better utilized as the man back if we believe Petty can do a serviceable job. Using May as a true lockdown defender is only reserved for the tasks considered too big for Petty, it's really smart coaching.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Petty will be given time. TBH he was much better in the second half. He has shown that he takes time to build at AFL level. I remember his first game v the Saints. He looked way out of place. He’ll be fine. Also I don’t believe he conceded a goal to a direct opponent. Unless he was on Sinclair when her scored his. But I thought Petty was on McLean.
I don’t see any changes this week. Unless Viney was fit. Melksham frustrates us all but he plays a specific half forward role. And although doesn’t offer much pressure he tends to make things happen in terms of scoring chains.

Petty's gonna make some people look very stupid soon. Kid is talented. Just needs time to adjust.
I hope so. I went the early rage cut on Saturday, but in hindsight his mistakes- which were very poor in the first half, highlighted the teams ineptitude as a whole.

I've been saying players should get a block of games if your going to bring them into the team so I have to apply the same rules to Petty.

I was petty on Petty during the game Saturday and I'm man enough to admit it.

I hope so. I went the early rage cut on Saturday, but in hindsight his mistakes- which were very poor in the first half, highlighted the teams ineptitude as a whole.

I've been saying players should get a block of games if your going to bring them into the team so I have to apply the same rules to Petty.

I was petty on Petty during the game Saturday and I'm man enough to admit it.
Mate I abused him in his first game to the point of stupidity. There's a lot not to like on the surface, but there's also a good player to come.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just heard on the radio a weird stat that Carlton are the only team to not have a loss over 32 points in the past year and a bit. Their worst loss being 31 points against Hawthorn. So they are generally in games. Hopefully we end that streak on Sunday.

Just heard on the radio a weird stat that Carlton are the only team to not have a loss over 32 points in the past year and a bit. Their worst loss being 31 points against Hawthorn. So they are generally in games. Hopefully we end that streak on Sunday.
Let’s get Teague sacked!

But nah wouldn’t be surprised if they made us work for it. Cripps to be A Kent Kingsley Klub nominee

Carlton aren't as bad as everyone believes, they will claim a big scalp soon, just don't think it will be this week. When scoring is your strength and you can stop a nose bleed, it will always be a horrible match up against the best defensive teams in the league.

Back