Autopsy Losing a home game at the Gabba - round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Shees Fyfey is copping a pounding here.I must have watched a different game.Yep he kicked badly for goal but,FFS the chances are he was stuffed for carrying most of the team before actually getting the ball back.
Onions is all heart.His are bigger than bowling balls.Injured early, but stood tall all day.

I’m comfortable with rebuilding taking time. But I actually think every single one of those players can improve their performance. I’d add Walters and Crowden to the list of players who have more to offer than they currently are. Duman was important last year and irrelevant this year.

It’s similar to the comment that Taberner is the problem in our forward line because he has bad leading patterns. That is an issue that should easily be addressed by the forward coach. Clubs who get maximum results from their foot soldiers go a long way to playing in finals. We just aren’t doing that.

Surprisingly, I think we are once again resembling an effort based side lacking a clear strategy. Fyfe out of the midfield and we are sub par the clearest indication. Mind you I think that is also where he should be playing.

After 5 years rebuilding I do expect significant improvement. Slow train coming.
I included Walters. Crowden is in the sub 50 game club. He is going to be inconsistent and I thought he was genuinely good yesterday. He's not going to get 20 disposals in our forward line when we get smashed and he made the most of the opportunities he had.

We are significantly better than 2016 and 2017. We are now in that non-linear phase and have been since 2018 where we are occasionally great but mostly mediocre and occasionally terrible. This is the stage you don't come out until the core of your rebuild hits their straps (whatever they are).
A few have already emerged or are starting too:

Ryan
Brayshaw
Cerra
Darcy
Cox

Not surprisingly, they are from the 16/17 drafts. Once the rest join, we'll see what we are about.

The real problem is Fyfie. If he'd kicked those goals, every game would have become very different as people have said. Is it bio mechanical, is it remnants of concussion? Is it in his head? has he got a sore foot? I just don't know and anyway, nothing I can say is of any value because I thought we'd beat West Coast and I now put Kennedy in the same basket as Gagf.
It's just garden variety yips. He'll get through it.

Shees Fyfey is copping a pounding here.I must have watched a different game.Yep he kicked badly for goal but,FFS the chances are he was stuffed for carrying most of the team before actually getting the ball back.
Onions is all heart.His are bigger than bowling balls.Injured early, but stood tall all day.
His technique is terrible. He doesn't watch the ball as he drops it.Have a look at Mundy when he kicks for goal.

I’ve figured out who Darcy reminds me of, Jokic in the nba. Compared to his peers, he has the athleticism of 2 year old learning to walk but he’s competitiveness and fundamentals make him elite. Can’t say enough positive things about the big fella, serious footballer with a ridiculous career ahead of him
Actually he is a dead set ringer for Graeme Moss. Same soft build, baby face and stoop. Plays like him too. He's already a good footballer and well on his way to being a v good one.

Are we pounding him? We all know what he does for the team. It's not my intention, at least. I'm just trying to understand what his problem is, what are the yips. Problem solving. I suppose if it's in his head, he's the only one who can self correct. All I can do is wish him a speedy resolution.

Sort of makes me wonder why you would choose Fyfe as the one to go forward and not Mundy.
Because he takes marks thatMundy can't.He will draw the oppositions best defender, Mundy wont.
Now that is not a knock on Mundy, far from it.But Fyfe is a far better option than Mundy.... in my opinion.

Because he takes marks thatMundy can't.He will draw the oppositions best defender, Mundy wont.
Now that is not a knock on Mundy, far from it.But Fyfe is a far better option than Mundy.... in my opinion.
We need a third tall forward unless we are going to redefine our forward structure again. And I am not a fan of confusing Taberner and Lobb about what little forward structure we seem to have. Mundy makes for a very good third tall (and has the right career timeframe to allow Treacy to develop which Fyfe does not), and Fyfe is the better midfielder.

he was 13...in the shuffLe where we gave Collingwood pick 8 and a small forward who was kicking over 50 goals a game for Tarrant
That was our worst trade. I remember half way through the year cuddles said Medhurst wasn't going anywhere.

I met him once and he was a great bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By all accounts their are other things going on with JUH not getting a game, and regardless, JUH isnt doing what Tabs is doing right now, in a few years maybe, but not now. I reckon if you asked most Dogs supporters on this board, they would jump at taking Tabs. It would give them so much flexibility with Naughton and Tabs is better than Bruce considering the team he's playing in.
Is he better than Bruce? Why?

I know the narrative in The West was "Fyfe's goal kicking is going to cost us a game some time"... but really if he gets it together he could possibly tear a game apart. He almost did it against Brisbane. Was it something like three marks i50 and shots on goal in a few minutes? Could you imagine if he kicked all three and the flow on momentum that would bring? He'd have more confidence and so would the whole team.

The yips is when a doubtful feeling gets so baked in it automatically stuffs up executing process. Beating it can be done by finding a way to occupy a critical level of your attention on the process.

Watching the ball intently onto the boot maybe.

Is he better than Bruce? Why?
Well for one he was in the AA squad last year, Bruce is playing in a top 4 side and has scored almost half his goals in one game against WAFL level opposition, he gets the 2nd best defender as well which helps. Despite that, the stats are pretty even.

Would you honestly take Bruce over Tabs? Think you’d be selling Tabs pretty short there

Attachments

• BDE94210-94E8-421A-A76D-874BF9276A64.png
    BDE94210-94E8-421A-A76D-874BF9276A64.png
    110 KB · Views: 40
  • 9C7BCF51-DF0C-4C36-8C5B-954F358C08D0.png
    9C7BCF51-DF0C-4C36-8C5B-954F358C08D0.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 8D483C28-1B39-4485-A61E-E21477C3501A.png
    8D483C28-1B39-4485-A61E-E21477C3501A.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 38
Fyfe has always had a dodgy kick for goal. And it is almost always clutch goals
No he hasn't, even with his dreadful 2.15 this year he is still 160.128 career. 2021 is also the only year he has kicked more points than goals. No doubt there a few OOF in there but that is well within average for the AFL.

No he hasn't, even with his dreadful 2.15 this year he is still 160.128 career. 2021 is also the only year he has kicked more points than goals. No doubt there a few OOF in there but that is well within average for the AFL.
I think you mean he has scored 4.3 ;)

Sorry but I don't get the Aish hate!?
He was one of the only ones getting near the ball first half
Might have made a Clanger or 2 but who didn't today
Acres is really clean with his ball use when not under too much pressure but still too soft for my liking

Unfortunately like Lobb their size and experience is going to keep them in the 22 most weeks.

I don't hold with the Aish hate either. More weeks than not he turns in a quietly supportive contribution across 4 Qs.

On Sunday when few shone, Aish was 5th for disposals, also 3rd for uncontested Ps and with more contested possies than over half the team. Conversely his clanger numbers were on a par with Brayshaw, Darcy and Tabs.

Less quantifiable but also important is that he's identified with Freo from the get-go. A fair go please folks.

Watching the ball intently onto the boot maybe.

I was watching Freddy take his shot and the whole time he was walking in he's staring straight ahead at the goal.

You shouldn't need to do that. Take a mental note of where the goal is and then watch the ball the whole time you're walking in so you don't have to flick your eyes down halfway through and add one more variable into the mix that can put you off.

The goals aren't going to move, the ball is. Focus on the thing you're controlling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back