Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly v Port Adelaide Round 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Crouch is a reasonable chance to be back this week I think, can't see him playing seniors mind you

Very Ugly:
Google "Lycett", and there are several articles about Lycett's sling tackle on McHenry + his complaints about being vilified on social media + the AFC response
(https://www.afc.com.au/news/932444/club-statement).
Some of the alleged abuse went so far as to call him "an ugly West Coast reject".
Ouch! :rolleyes:
Lycett has commented:
" "Footy is a physical game, but I acknowledge my tackle on Ned McHenry last night overstepped the mark and will be dealt with at the AFL Tribunal," he wrote. "I truly hope he's OK."
"However the abuse that has followed has been outrageous. People should take a breath and reflect before posting."
(https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/scott-...y-tackle/d1859503-ba90-42c6-b80e-7ed70d9f443c)

My two bobs' worth --- and I have reflected, before posting --- I didn't see any apology in there, Scott, or are you waiting for Ned to stop seeing stars so you can apologise face-to-face? You're 203cms and 98Kgs. McHenry 179cms and 73Kgs.
Was it not enough to tackle McHenry, without rag-dolling his scone into the ground? Have any of your teammates been thrown around like that? How'd you feel about that, at the time?
The social media abuse has been 'outrageous'? Sticks and stones, mate. Grow a pair.
The physical abuse you inflicted on McHenry caused actual harm/damage, took him out of the game which you played all of and might have long-term consequences.
Oh, and thank your lucky stars --- on a footy field, what you did might get you a 2-3 match ban. Off the field, your action on McHenry would be considered an assault (well, 'alleged'), with potentially far worse consequences; you weak, bullying, cowardly grub.
Sorry but threats to family in Socials is disgraceful.

Lycett had every right to call it out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

At least whoever is sub will get nearly a full game this week. It wouldn't be a showdown without one of our guys getting smashed in the head in the first 20 mins.

Yep, it happened again.

Happens every ******* time. No way it's just bad luck.

Threats to his family? If so, yes, that's disgraceful. Callous and stupid keyboard bravado. Social media has plenty of them, lurking, waiting for some reason to vent their anger, make threats etc, which is partly why I don't do Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat and so on.
Lycett's not responsible for the behaviour and reckless anger of others.

Still, would have been gracious if he'd apologise to Ned, though, don't you think?

Threats to his family? If so, yes, that's disgraceful. Callous and stupid keyboard bravado. Social media has plenty of them, lurking, waiting for some reason to vent their anger, make threats etc, which is partly why I don't do Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat and so on.
Lycett's not responsible for the behaviour and reckless anger of others.

Still, would have been gracious if he'd apologise to Ned, though, don't you think?
He might have in private.

If he hasn't then yeah he should.

Regardless, supporters should never threaten family.

It was a dog act. Not defending that at all. Especially his actions after the tackle. He meant to cause pain. He showed no regard for McHenry's welfare at all.

Spot on, people went too far with the abuse. eg. “literally kill yourself you low life” and “jump off the nearest bridge”.

I'm embarrassed to call myself a crows supporter with people amongst us saying this stuff.

When will people realise this is just a game and a form of entertainment, even though it's not necessarily entertaining for us crows fans at the moment.

Talia on SEN, sad to hear his daughter's in hospital.

I wonder why we put him up to speak, seems like he’s had a bit to deal with as well as not playing over the weekend.

The physical abuse you inflicted on McHenry caused actual harm/damage, took him out of the game which you played all of and might have long-term consequences.
Oh, and thank your lucky stars --- on a footy field, what you did might get you a 2-3 match ban. Off the field, your action on McHenry would be considered an assault (well, 'alleged'), with potentially far worse consequences; you weak, bullying, cowardly grub.

I'm all for defending our players but this line of reasoning is always a bit strange.

It's not like Scott Lycett is going to walk up to Ned in a park while they're both walking their dogs and pile drive him into the ground.

It's a footy game, a contact sport, it's a bad act by Lycett, very bad but it's not physical abuse by any stretch of the imagination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for defending our players but this line of reasoning is always a bit strange.
1) It's not like Scott Lycett is going to walk up to Ned in a park while they're both walking their dogs and pile drive him into the ground.
2) It's a footy game, a contact sport, it's a bad act by Lycett, very bad but it's not physical abuse by any stretch of the imagination.
Fair comments.
Well, it's about context and consequences.
There's plenty of old footage with blokes going in with their elbows high, straight-out giving a punch or uppercut, shaking their fists at Umpires etc, a lot of which they got away with under the "It's a man's game/it's a physical contact sport" banner. More often than not it was someone with anger issues (eg the player nicknamed 'Grave Danger') using the game to biff a few blokes with impunity.
There's still room in the game for the physicality of legal bumps eg Fogarty's side-on hit to the PA player last Saturday, which was a thing of beauty, arm tucked in low, no high contact etc.
For all we know, Ned might've given Lycett some of his bluster huff'n'puff in those trial games and Lycett thought" Right, mate, wait until the Showdown". Maybe not.
Either way, all current AFL players would know the rules about sling tackles (much like the long-banned "spear tackles" in Rugby League) and Lycett's advantage in size and weight meant that tackling Ned would have been enough --- should have been enough --- except it wasn't for Lycett, who twirled him around so that his head was moving fast, down, into the ground. Still not enough for Lycett, who gave the prone, dazed McHenry an extra shove for good measure.
It would not have changed the outcome of the match, but it put us a man down early which PA like to do, you might have noticed, about which other posters have commented above.
1) You're right, but I didn't suggest that he would, and he will get at least 2 games' suspension which I hope helps to cause two PA losses. Fair enough; those are the consequences, and I would never condone some of the just-as-grubby comments made in Social Media, especially any threats directed at his family. It's just more people behaving badly, which Social Media has enabled to blossom in anonymity.
2) The thing with a sling tackle is that the tackled player's head is moving fast, accelerating like a skier making an arc on a rope. McHenry was concussed (a common result from sling tackles, hence their ban) and might have suffered neck damage that could have been made worse by Lycett's dangerous, unnecessary second shove.
That's physical abuse, in any context.

It's a contact sport.

If you tackled someone fairly and rode them to the ground you'd be done for assault in the general public.

It's a contact sport.

If you tackled someone fairly and rode them to the ground you'd be done for assault in the general public.
So I can't just go round tackling people to the ground?

This explains why everyone is so grumpy with me in the mornings when taking the kids to primary school drop off.

Agree fully about Fogarty . He is the only player that shows intent on hurting opponents in the tackle . Either be the intimidater or get intimidated in this game . We never recruit this type of player . We are the nice boys club.

unkess you are lycett in a port jumper, then hurting opponents bad according to some of the bright sparks herein.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back