Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t surprise me at all that Scarlett rates work ethic and attitude over skills and talent.
Not sure you can say that with certainty based on that half minute snippet. ZG is skilled anyway; his only issue really has been his slightness, and he has made gains there. A few more games, we will see him being as useful as Cam.

key distinction to be made between being critical. We all are that in some shape. From players to tactics to coaching to corporate structure to marketing to memberships and many more.

Then there are the ‘eeyore’s’. Those that live to criticise and scarcely give praise. Those that believe simultaneously that we draft poorly, trade poorly and yet finals failures are seen as reasons to sack the coach for poor coaching. An inconsistent mindset that is too common among this fanbase. That subsection needs to fu** right off with their non-credible moronic observations.

We dominated most facets against the swans bar the scoreboard. An unlucky night.

Statistically false.
on average you should win a premiership once every 18 years, and make a GF once every 9 years.

We made a GF 9 years after 2011 and are only halfway through the statistical average of 18 for a flag.
I agree the stats claim was wrong, but I would say that if you narrowed your scope on that approach to finishing top 4 then 50% of the seasons you go top 4 you should make a grand final and 25% you should win it. That suggests 1-2 flags from 3 appearances for us.

The analysis though is fundamentally flawed. In prelims in several years we went down to the eventual premiers of that year in much closer contests than the actual grand final suggesting that on pure merit we should have been grand finalists. That we haven't made 3 is a pure fluke of the finals draw.

Was the tackle on Rioli in that clip the one he got fined for? I'd be appealing that if it was. Textbook tackle for mine.

I think it would be - Rioli only had the one disposal in the last quarter and it was about that position on the ground, so going to say yes it's that tackle

Not sure you can say that with certainty based on that half minute snippet. ZG is skilled anyway; his only issue really has been his slightness, and he has made gains there. A few more games, we will see him being as useful as Cam.
I say it based on that clip and knowing what Scarlett values in his defenders.

He’s done nothing at the hawks. B grader at best.

More so the point, we aren’t a good team because of recruits from other clubs, out of our best six players only one of them is from a trade to another club in 2020 our grand final team. Hardly an endorsement for anything but quality building and developing within.

Guthrie menegola Duncan Hawkins Stewart I would classify all A graders and have developed at the cattery into that.

add Cameron in this year, and we will see where it takes us.

talking about our grand final team of 2020. Only A grader is dangerfield. Henderson isn’t an A grader, his a solid B grader. A graders are AA caliber players or there around the mark.
When we recruited Henderson he was around the mark. In the top 3-5 or so full backs in the game even if Carlton wasted him in the foward line at the time.

When we recruited Henderson he was around the mark. In the top 3-5 or so full backs in the game even if Carlton wasted him in the foward line at the time.
How was he in the top 3-5 full backs in the league when he'd been played as a key forward for his last 3 seasons at Carlton?

im sorry I can’t go further than this. There is only so far I can go into the realm of ridiculousness. Pick this up with someone else champ.

Henderson was a gun defender at Carlton. Like Essendon and Hooker, they had no quality forwards so they shifted him into the forward line.

Jarad Rivers and Henderson were quick fixes who were pretty damn solid for a good 2-3 years at Geelong.

Henderson was a gun defender at Carlton. Like Essendon and Hooker, they had no quality forwards so they shifted him into the forward line.

Jarad Rivers and Henderson were quick fixes who were pretty damn solid for a good 2-3 years at Geelong.

yes I agree he was a solid footballer, but I ain’t having chats about how Henderson was up there with the likes of Alex rance and Matthew Scarlett like caliber as a top 2-3 defender of the game. My IQ will drop engaging in that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did use a first round pick on him. Usually don't do that for B graders when you rarely get good picks to begin with.

solid B grade key position player right age, not too far fetched. He has been great for us and I love him, but I ain’t having discussions how he is one of the elite 2-3 key defenders in the AFL. We even delisted and re rookied him at one point.

He actually was a top full back for a while.

No doubt and that's why he was looking to make a move to go somewhere to play as a more permanent back, but when you've been playing primarily as a forward for the 3 years prior to the trade it's unlikely you're still ranked in the top 5 fullbacks at that stage

yes I agree he was a solid footballer, but I ain’t having chats about how Henderson was up there with the likes of Alex rance and Matthew Scarlett like caliber as a top 2-3 defender of the game. My IQ will drop engaging in that
Scarlett and Rance are higher than A graders though I reckon.
Heaps of players rightfully get called A graders but those 2 are a step beyond that.

solid B grade key position player right age, not too far fetched. He has been great for us and I love him, but I ain’t having discussions how he is one of the elite 2-3 key defenders in the AFL. We even delisted and re rookied him at one point.
No one said that or would think that I'm pretty sure.
But hey, if your only as good as your last game he's the best full back in the league by miles hehe

Who said he was up there with the likes of Rance or Scarlett? I never did.
Henderson was always a gun defender at Carlton.
His final year he was piss poor but he told them he was leaving but you simply can't ignore the fact he was a walk up starter at Geelong.
This is what I mean when you speak of all the players who retired form Geelong. They did but they were quickly replaced by guys like Rivers, Henderson and Tuohy.
When Johnson left, he was replaced by Dangerfield.
Some players such as Rohan, Stanley, Dahlhaus, Clarke, Smith have been laughable at times but all in all, our list shits on 3 quarters of the competition year in and year out.

hawkins and Guthrie were better in 2020 than dangerfield, and I’d argue Stewart or menegola was also better for us. I’d guarantee we could less afford to loose Stewart than we could dangerfield from our team. Menegola arguable have no issue with that. He is still an A grader no doubt, but he has slipped.
I’m happy for you to compare most of those names but the words Dangerfield and Mengelola don’t belong in the same sentence.

I did as well.

One thing that gave me pause for thought was how often Richmond's mistakes became our successes.

And many of those mistakes were by young, inexperienced players.

Personnel changes will mean not only that Richmond get better play from Cotchin, Grimes etc, but also we will potentially get far fewer opportunities as they just won't make the mistakes of their current bottom 6.

Yours is an excellent post - i recorded the game - then i watched it - thus i already knew the result

And although very happy with the big win - after watching it - some of those goals in the 3rd qtr were underwhelming . Like if all the goals in the 3rd qtr were like when Rohan beat Vaustin pointless in a 1 on 1 marking contest - then that is totally different - because that is excellent play - a really good contested mark - against a very good player - who is also good o/head

But they wernt - 3 or 4 goals in the 3rd qtr were from horrendous Richmond ( Fitzroy 1995 type stuff ) mistakes - that isnt going to happen again with Richmond again - or any current Afl team for that matter

Yours is an excellent post - i recorded the game - then i watched it - thus i already knew the result

And although very happy with the big win - after watching it - some of those goals in the 3rd qtr were underwhelming . Like if all the goals in the 3rd qtr were like when Rohan beat Vaustin pointless in a 1 on 1 marking contest - then that is totally different - because that is excellent play - a really good contested mark - against a very good player - who is also good o/head

But they wernt - 3 or 4 goals in the 3rd qtr were from horrendous Richmond ( Fitzroy 1995 type stuff ) mistakes - that isnt going to happen again with Richmond again - or any current Afl team for that matter
Being at the game, I thought the Richmond mistakes were a direct result from the Cats ferocious tackling and all round pressure. It was fantastic to watch.

Aside from being a flog, why would you post a laughing emoji Art Vandelay_ from my last post re Stewart on Martin? Clearly he beat him cold on Friday night when he played forward and still had an offensive impact. It’s was a fair proposition that ended up with a successful outcome.
Footy Classified is hardly a collection of wise footy minds.

At least drunk Robbo is entertaining.

Footy Classified could have just easily pulled footage of Blicavs towelling Pendlebury as a tagger a few years back and used it then to make a case. That’s what they do, reactionary calls lacking well thought out analysis.

But it’s just one game so hardly a great sample size. Dusty is not firing on all cylinders. A racehorse short a gallop.

Footy Classified is hardly a collection of wise footy minds.

At least drunk Robbo is entertaining.

Footy Classified could have just easily pulled footage of Blicavs towelling Pendlebury as a tagger a few years back and used it then to make a case. That’s what they do, reactionary calls lacking well thought out analysis.

But it’s just one game so hardly a great sample size. Dusty is not firing on all cylinders. A racehorse short a gallop.

As distinct from your learned self? Yes, it’s one sample but a successful one. Dusty has regularly destroyed us over the past 3-4 years so perhaps a different strategy to circumvent him might be prudent rather than more of the same?

The move wasn’t the reason we won the other night, but it shows that Stewart can be employed to lockdown Dusty or perhaps Petracca when forward come September. I know I’d have more confidence in him doing the job than with any other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back