Player Watch Rory Laird

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he is doing well, great to see

But wasn’t most of the concern about the contract length, running until end of 2026?

I’m not sure 8 games into 2021 is the right time to be claiming vindication.

He was always going to be a good midfielder.

Certainly not a gun, but he's
performed well so far.

This is the thing for me.

He can gather possessions but he's not getting the most out of his possessions, as a result he doesn't impact a game as much as I'd like.

He can have a monster stats game but it generally has very little impact on the flow of the game.

He's very quick of the mark and agile, so he can get to the ball, but then can't really burst away or nail guys with the pass.

He's not the future of our midfield and he shouldn't be the player you build your midfield around. He is good support cast.

As a result, I would absolutely still trade him if the right deal came along.

We could get something decent which we could put to very good use in a rebuilding era.

I'm not knocking him, but we've never been brave enough to trade when player values are high and then complain when they become old and don't perform, ie Lynch and Jenkins. We need to be smarter and more ruthless with some of these calls.

The "doesn't look where he kicks it" criticism gets levelled at every engine-room midfielder. They're surrounded by players and have a fraction of a second to use it, so yeah, they're going to do some blind kicks sometimes. It's up to the rest of the team to structure up in a useful and predictable way so the likes of Laird have a good backup option when there's no time to spot someone up and they're forced to just hack it forward.

When he gets time and space he generally uses the ball very well. He's been great :thumbsu:

Laird is an issue. Sure he's a good ball winner, but what does he actually do with his possessions? All he does it hack it forward every time he touches the ball, doesn't look for a better option, doesn't look to break away from packs, just launches it high into the air and hopes for a good outcome. Would hate to be a forward sitting under one of his forward entries. Doesn't ever show any poise, vision or look for options. Not good enough for our midfield 'star'.

Ordinary players can be criticised for not being good, good players for not being great, great for not being elite. But good teams are made up of all these types. Everyone has flaws to their game. Successful coaches don't rely on having a team full of superheroes A lot of people on here just set impossible standards. Laird isn't our problem and trading him isn't the solution to what is.

Eh, it would have been the right call from the club to cut Rory loose if we decided to sign Matt Crouch to a 4-5 year extension. Much like the opposite is true.

Really, I don't know if there is an obvious call between Laird and Crouch. I liked the idea of keeping Rory more just because we could shift him back to defence at the back end of his deal if we needed too, but then Crouch has already been an AA midfielder. Either of them would have been a fine choice of being the elder statesman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like Rory to apologise for kicking the ball into lunar orbit with every possession.

Otherwise I love DeskMan and its great to see his progression into a midfielder.
In the center bounce with the 6-6-6 rule his moon kicks isn't an issue provide our tall forward compete in the air and that's were he is most effective as an elite clearance midfielder.

You may be the worst footy analyst on the planet.
I think Sanders and you have me covered there if you don't know the primary goal of winning the centre clearance and with the 6-6-6 hack kicks toward your forward 50 has a less chance of a direct turnover to the opposition player for them to rebound quickly so you need elite clearance midfielders who know how to read the centre bounce and get 1st hand on the ball.

I think Sanders and you have me covered there if you don't know the primary goal of winning the centre clearance and with the 6-6-6 hack kicks toward your forward 50 has a less chance of a direct turnover to the opposition player for them to rebound quickly so you need elite clearance midfielders who know how to read the centre bounce and get 1st hand on the ball.

Apologise, not me. Mid June 2020, in the round 2 GBU thread.

I know he’s small, but why wouldn’t we get a decent look at Laird at stoppages? He’s quick over a few steps, moves laterally extremely well, is stupidly brave and generally a bit of a desperado. We pigeon hole players and there they stay and we wonder why they reach their peak after 3 years and then flatline or worse. How many of our backs do we run through the midfield? How many of our forwards get a run as part of the initial plan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back