Academy 2021 Next Generation Academy Players - Nominations are in!

Those who have been nominated:

NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY
Carlton
Domanic Akuei

Fremantle
Eric Benning
Jesse Motlop

Hawthorn
Paul Haasbroek

Melbourne
Mac Andrew
Andy Moniz-Wakefield

St Kilda
Josiah Kyle
Mitchito Owens
Jack Peris
Marcus Windhager

Western Bulldogs
Cody Raak

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Indigenous players for the 2021 draft

At this stage I have Burgoyne,Jack Peris, Jesse Motlop, Richard Farmer, and thats all. anyone know of any others?

Choogler

Senior List
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
JFC it might have been shorter to list the players NOT in West Coast's NGA.
The thing is that a club can't take all their NGA players, so the time and money WCE invests in all those in their NGA will at some point benefit a club at some level whether it be at AFL, WAFL or some lower level. It should also be said that WCE is, outside of the WAFC the major financial contributor to football in WA and they get back very little for that investment with most of the WAFL players ending up at clubs other than WCE.
BTW, heard that the Eagles missed a trick with Erasmus. Being of South African heritage he could have been listed as NGA... don't know if it is true or not!

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
The thing is that a club can't take all their NGA players, so the time and money WCE invests in all those in their NGA will at some point benefit a club at some level whether it be at AFL, WAFL or some lower level. It should also be said that WCE is, outside of the WAFC the major financial contributor to football in WA and they get back very little for that investment with most of the WAFL players ending up at clubs other than WCE.
BTW, heard that the Eagles missed a trick with Erasmus. Being of South African heritage he could have been listed as NGA... don't know if it is true or not!
Erasmus’ parents didn’t respond to an email. Source, Erasmus on Road to the Draft.

Otherwise he would have been in the NGA.

Because of the NGA new rules he wouldn’t have been able to be selected by the Eagles anyway.

Choogler

Senior List
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Erasmus’ parents didn’t respond to an email. Source, Erasmus on Road to the Draft.

Otherwise he would have been in the NGA.

Because of the NGA new rules he wouldn’t have been able to be selected by the Eagles anyway.
I will own up to not knowing the NGA rules, why wouldn't they have been able to select him

Choogler

Senior List
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I will own up to not knowing the NGA rules, why wouldn't they have been able to select him
Just read up on the rules. Think it will lead to less investment by the clubs on development programs for elite and up and coming young talent. At least the drafts will be less compromised although under the F/S rules we will still see some level of compromise. I find it somewhat annoying that a club like the Pies whose first pick is 33 can deliberately away its 1st round pick knowing full well that they can still get a top 1-3 pick under the existing F/S matching rules by using later picks. I think the rules need tweaking so that to match a bid you must have a pick in the round that that the bid comes in. That would mean that in the case of Daicos, Collingwood would either have had to hold on to this year's pick or trade back into the first round of the draft. Also, if you have a pick and don't take the F/S selection and another club selects them later in that round then the opportunity is gone. It would change the whole fabric of F/S selections because clubs would no longer be able to have their cake and eat it too!

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Out of curiosity, was Neil Erasmus himself or either of his parents born in South Africa?

GUMBLETRON is right though. NGA bids can't be matched in the first round. Talk is that will be extended to the first 2 rounds next year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Out of curiosity, was Neil Erasmus himself or either of his parents born in South Africa?

GUMBLETRON is right though. NGA bids can't be matched in the first round. Talk is that will be extended to the first 2 rounds next year.
It’s not talk. It’s already been put in place.
Top 20 protected this year.
Top 40 protected next year.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
It’s not talk. It’s already been put in place.
Top 20 protected this year.
Top 40 protected next year.
I only said that to not look silly if that wasn't the case. Was 99% sure that was the case though.

Choogler

Senior List
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Yes to the first question!

Back