List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH, I haven't seen him do anything in the VFL to suggest he's up to AFL standard.

He kicked 3 goals I think a week or two back, but that was at the end of good work from others. Doesn't really impose himself on a game. I'm hoping we're looking at all state leagues around the country, not just VFL.

There's a kid named Michael Mallard in the WAFL that's not doing his chances any harm.....still only 19yo.

View attachment 1123935

Jacob Edwards and Max Heath also potentially available. Plenty of options.

Mallard not doing much in the step up to WAFL reserves. Seems to be more of a project ruck.

How did McKay go in that young guns game? Was there any standouts worth mentioning?

Good write up from eDPS and PMBangers who can probably answer any questions you may have in more detail.

Write ups on McKay (F/S) and Akuei (NGA):

#10 Charlie McKay (Sandringham Dragons)
9/08/2002 | 186cm | 83kg

The Carlton father-son prospect spent the first half of the game as a defender, where he positioned well in marking contests to take quite a few intercept marks, either waiting for the ball out the back of a contest or even taking contested grabs further up the ground. The second half saw him move to the midfield for an extended period, where he looked extremely comfortable in and under the contest, and his prowess as a clearance winner came to the fore.

#21 Dominic Akuei (Northern Knights)
12/05/2002 | 192cm | 78kg

The Carlton NGA prospect was impressive in his first game not being a number one ruck. With Smith in the side, Akuei was given the freedom to ply his trade down in defence, where his elite leap and marking ability led to two particularly memorable moments. Both times, he got up on the shoulders of opponents to take the ball above his head. Perhaps seen as risky given he was in defensive 50 for both of these, it was an eye-catching display of confidence and skill. He moved the footy well by foot, delivering darting kicks to inside 45 options every time the opportunity presented itself. He then played mostly on a wing in the second half, where he looked comfortable with his positioning and ability to hold space, again utilising that marking a few times to hand Metro possession and move quickly.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon

Good write up from eDPS and PMBangers who can probably answer any questions you may have in more detail.

Write ups on McKay (F/S) and Akuei (NGA):
I didn’t watch the game it was PMBangers and fellow ADC writer Michael Alvaro who isn’t on Bigfooty.

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I only watched a bit of the U/23 match but the one who impressed me the most from a Carlton perspective was the guy with the dreadlocks; Caleb Ernst, I think it is. I'd also hope that Akuei doesn't nominate.

Think ya friends team need a defender that can kick 150m goals from kick ins :tongueoutv1:

Ha! No joke, last night I dreamt that Harry marked the ball on the wing on the siren. He kicked the ball from ~90 out and it went through post-high but was offline.

Also, I was Carlton's medical sub and Setters was getting frustrated on the wing.

Even in my dreams, the Carlton team selection and coaching sucks :p

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Ha! No joke, last night I dreamt that Harry marked the ball on the wing on the siren. He kicked the ball from ~90 out and it went through post-high but was offline.

Also, I was Carlton's medical sub and Setters was getting frustrated on the wing.

Even in my dreams, the Carlton team selection and coaching sucks :p
Bit of an Arnold Rimmer.

Bit of an Arnold Rimmer.

I had to look that up.

Character from Red Dwarf (great show, btw); portrayed as a snobbish, self-centered character, Rimmer is unpopular with his crewmates and is often the target of insults and general ridicule.

I would like to state for the record that is highly inaccurate. I am not red.... :p

Last edited:

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I had to look that up.

Character from Red Dwarf (great show, btw); portrayed as a snobbish, self-centered character, Rimmer is unpopular with his crewmates and is often the target of insults and general ridicule.

I would like to state for the record that is highly inaccurate. I am not red....
It was in reference to the character's negative self-image to the point that even his fantasies go wrong. I can imagine him as a Carlton supporter at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
I hope we still go down the youth path with any mid-season selections and make selections for the future.

However, I can see with Teague under pressure we'll be tempted to go for a ready made but B-grade player to fill a hole for the now eg Deluca re-revisited!

Is Mckay still F/S eligible?

Not certain but I am fairly sure you do not lose F/S eligibility even if you are overlooked in your initial draft year.

From memory Steven Morris was a late bloomer and was taken by Richmond as a mature aged F/S a few years after he was first eligible to be drafted. There may be other examples too but he comes to mind first.

All bets are off though in the mid season draft. We have no claim over McKay or even Akuei for that matter so if another club picks them then we miss out.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Is Mckay still F/S eligible?
Yes, he remains eligible under any current criteria for the national draft, the pre-season draft and the rookie draft.

Anyone can take him in the mid-season draft or pre-season supplementary period, however.

Yes, he remains eligible under any current criteria for the national draft, the pre-season draft and the rookie draft.

Anyone can take him in the mid-season draft or pre-season supplementary period, however.
Only if they apply, for the mid season draft??
If we commit to them, they can sit this out and apply for national draft?

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Anyone know or can tell me where to find the best KPF/rucks available?

I think that's probably our biggest need at the moment, aside from A-grade midfield talent (which I think we could solve if we actually played SPS/Stocker in the midfield!)

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
In a normal season, I would probably say recruit a mature-ager.

I think the odds of picking an undrafted kid (passed over for even a rookie spot) who then makes it properly at AFL level....that's quite a long shot. It can happen, but it's a low percentage play.

BUT THIS YEAR? When Vic kids missed the season and kids in other states had less than ideal preparation? Surely, this year would be the year when we would see some kids fall through the draft cracks only to make a name for themselves...

59 ND picks were used last year (ex-rookies). That compares to 65, 78 and 78 in the previous three years. That has to (ish) mean that there are more prospects than usual at the fringe this year.

I don't follow state or junior leagues well enough to suggest individual names. But as a general approach, this is the year I would pick best available u19.

For a minute there I actually thought you knew what you were talking about.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Toby Wooller has impressed me
195cm CHF and 22 years old

Could he pinch hit in the ruck and play the Cas role ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's not as fast as Cas is, and no-one's ever accused Cas of being lightning. He's tall and strong, but he doesn't have great hands. He's also not nearly fit enough to play ruck or even KPF at AFL level.

He's someone who could come on in a year or so, but at present he's not got AFL attributes, IMO.

He's not as fast as Cas is, and no-one's ever accused Cas of being lightning. He's tall and strong, but he doesn't have great hands. He's also not nearly fit enough to play ruck or even KPF at AFL level.

Casboult, but without elite marking. And slower.

Hmmmm....don't need to think about that for very long....

Back