List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go against the grain and say that we're not in such a terrible position as most of the media sees us in. A couple of good drafts and we'll be heading back up the ladder before you know it.

I like the potential of our future forward line with Lewis and Kosi showing good signs at time as key forwards and Jeka starring at VFL. Brockman looks fantastic to me, a real excitement machine. Liked the look of Seamus Mitchell's pre-draft highlights - his speed is a real asset and will transition into Breust's spot soon enough. He is one I believe just has 'it' - will be in the team with Brockman by the end of the year if his injury rehab goes well.

A midfield of Mitchell, Jaeger, Wingard and Worpel is a start - draft a couple of quality kids and it'll be a perfect mix of youth and experience. I see great potential in CJ/Day/Scrimshaw also moving to the midfield/wings and providing genuine speed and skills through there. This would also allow Wingard to ply his craft as a forward. As good as McEvoy has been for us, to me he is becoming a bit of a liability. We really need Reeves to come on and from all accounts he is becoming dominant in the 2s. The difference in quality for the 1s and 2s is huge though - especially for ruckmen, so would like to see some continued dominance for a while yet.

While at the moment we appear shaky down back, I see some real potential. Quite like Frost, makes mistakes but tries his heart out and has great closing speed and a daring attitude. Love the runs he takes through the middle, just needs to work on decision making and disposal. Hardwick is a rock and loves getting his hands dirty. Sicily has been a huge loss all year. The run out of the backline with Impey/CJ/Day/Scrimshaw is set for the next 5-10 years and will have the opposition reeling. If DGB comes on then he will be a star, has the attributes of being the next superstar key defender.

We have the makings of a great team, but lack some experience and depth. There will be a fairly heavy turnover the next two seasons, but if we are smart with recruitment and who we delist/trade then I see no reason we can't be back charging towards finals by 2023/24.

I'm going to go against the grain and say that we're not in such a terrible position as most of the media sees us in. A couple of good drafts and we'll be heading back up the ladder before you know it.

I like the potential of our future forward line with Lewis and Kosi showing good signs at time as key forwards and Jeka starring at VFL. Brockman looks fantastic to me, a real excitement machine. Liked the look of Seamus Mitchell's pre-draft highlights - his speed is a real asset and will transition into Breust's spot soon enough. He is one I believe just has 'it' - will be in the team with Brockman by the end of the year if his injury rehab goes well.

A midfield of Mitchell, Jaeger, Wingard and Worpel is a start - draft a couple of quality kids and it'll be a perfect mix of youth and experience. I see great potential in CJ/Day/Scrimshaw also moving to the midfield/wings and providing genuine speed and skills through there. This would also allow Wingard to ply his craft as a forward. As good as McEvoy has been for us, to me he is becoming a bit of a liability. We really need Reeves to come on and from all accounts he is becoming dominant in the 2s. The difference in quality for the 1s and 2s is huge though - especially for ruckmen, so would like to see some continued dominance for a while yet.

While at the moment we appear shaky down back, I see some real potential. Quite like Frost, makes mistakes but tries his heart out and has great closing speed and a daring attitude. Love the runs he takes through the middle, just needs to work on decision making and disposal. Hardwick is a rock and loves getting his hands dirty. Sicily has been a huge loss all year. The run out of the backline with Impey/CJ/Day/Scrimshaw is set for the next 5-10 years and will have the opposition reeling. If DGB comes on then he will be a star, has the attributes of being the next superstar key defender.

We have the makings of a great team, but lack some experience and depth. There will be a fairly heavy turnover the next two seasons, but if we are smart with recruitment and who we delist/trade then I see no reason we can't be back charging towards finals by 2023/24.

This is the trend we have to buck as it has been a horror show for the most part between 2016-2020.

Keepers beyond this season
Mids: T Mitch, Worpel, Jaeger, Wingard, Phillips, McEvoy
Forwards: Kosi, Lewis, Jeka Brocky, Bruest, Gunston, Moore, Ollie
Backs: Sicily, CJ, Day, Scrim, Dimma, Frost, Impey

Unproven (keep):
Reeves, Downie, Finn, S Mitchell, DGB, Bramble, Saunders, Morris

Depth:
Howe, Morrison, Cousins

Move on:
Silk, Shiels, Ceglar, Patton, Scully, Hartley, Nash, Brooksby, Hartigan, Timmy O

50/50:
Greaves, Pepper

That would be up to 10 off the list (12 if you include Scully and Patton). Personally like what I’ve seen from Greaves so would be inclined to keep him.
Regards Pepper: watched him play several times...Always runs away from the ball.. I know it sounds crazy. Can Hardly believe it my self.......No future as best I can see....

Hopefully now that the clubs direction has been officially + publicly been announced we can begin the youth movement. I'm not saying play the kids for sake of it but rather sometimes a kid might get played over a senior player that doesn't figure to be in our plans 2 years from now like what has just been announced. This will likely mean we'll take some lumps but it is what it is.

FWIW I am proud of the club for publicly releasing this directional movement so lets just hope it is backed up at the selection table.

Last edited:
we would lose by 100 points every game for the next 4 years if we do that
We could potentially manoeuvre 4 first rounders this year by trading those blokes.. Go through a couple of really hard years but building a team / list of elite top end talent.

Face the facts, we are going to be bottom 3 the next 4 years regardless. Unless Clarkson continues to buy some middle of the road free agents and we finish 12 for the next 4 years. And then bottom out.

All I’m saying is fast track the build, suffer hard for a couple of years.

Our opportunity was killed to rebuild properly buy buying O’Meara and Wingard.

We’ve made horrible trading decisions.

How else are we going to bring in multiple first rounders this year?

We could potentially manoeuvre 4 first rounders this year by trading those blokes.. Go through a couple of really hard years but building a team / list of elite top end talent.

Face the facts, we are going to be bottom 3 the next 4 years regardless. Unless Clarkson continues to buy some middle of the road free agents and we finish 12 for the next 4 years. And then bottom out.

I think we need to look at some of our senior players, we all know the names, and see if we can package our picks in the 20s to get higher into the draft.

For example: Player X and pick 21 for pick 7.

I hear you, if i recall correctly we took 2019 Day, 2020 Denver Grainger-Barras, our 2021 pick so that makes 3 first round picks in a row. Which means we should be fine to trade out 2022, that if we manage to grab the pies first round pick for 2021 thats 4 in a row.
GWS hold Pies First Round pick. They gave them bugger all for it.

Mate the comedy festival is over...you missed it.

I think we need to look at some of our senior players, we all know the names, and see if we can package our picks in the 20s to get higher into the draft.

I like this idea...

You would only do something like that if you thought the first 7-10 picks were much better than the rest of the draft pool.

Not a move you'd make if you thought the top 20 were fairly even. I just don't know enough about this crop to see how it lands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully now that the clubs direction has been officially + publicly been announced we can begin the youth movement. I'm not saying play the kids for sake of it but rather sometimes a kid might get played over a senior player that doesn't figure to be in our plans 2 years from now like what has just been announced. This will likely mean we'll take some lumps but it is what it is.

FWIW I am proud of the club for publicly releasing this directional movement so lets just hope it is backed up at the selection table.

Good to see Kennett being straight here

My greatest concern is our inability to compete in air, this has plagued us for 3 years and we are now in the infancy of seeing this being addressed.

Lewis 13 of the last 30 games, Jeka 2, Kosi 7. We don’t have the personnel capable of protecting them and we will likely continue to see them struggle in the short term until they get some support.

I’m not sure if drafting or trading is the answer. A Thilthorpe type in the draft or a Bailey Williams type trade is no 1 on my wish list.

At least then we would have more confidence going inside 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate the comedy festival is over...you missed it.
You’re in la la land mate, we're currently 17th. I'm just being real. Our list is cooked. We're going to be bottom 4 for the next few years, unless we hit the jackpot repeatedly on 4th and 5th round picks.

I’m just being real

2020 Peter Crimmins Medal – Top 10

Jack GUNSTON – 30 this year

Tom MITCHELL – 28 this year

Chad WINGARD – 28 this year

Ben McEVOY – 32 this year

James SICILY – 26 This Year

Liam SHIELS – 30 this year

James WORPEL – 22 this year

Jaeger O’MEARA – 27 this year

Sam FROST - 28 this year

Luke BREUST – 31 this year

You’re in la la land mate, we're currently 17th. I'm just being real. Our list is cooked. We're going to be bottom 4 for the next few years, unless we hit the jackpot repeatedly on 4th and 5th round picks.

I’m just being real

Sam FROST - 28 this year

That is pretty gross.

My greatest concern is our inability to compete in air, this has plagued us for 3 years and we are now in the infancy of seeing this being addressed.

Lewis 13 of the last 30 games, Jeka 2, Kosi 7. We don’t have the personnel capable of protecting them and we will likely continue to see them struggle in the short term until they get some support.

I’m not sure if drafting or trading is the answer. A Thilthorpe type in the draft or a Bailey Williams type trade is no 1 on my wish list.

At least then we would have more confidence going inside 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, they're not likely to get any support this season, it ain't coming from the MSD.

Unlikely to get a first round KPP in this years draft, so its going to be a 2nd round or later....if at all.

Then its only going to be via trade, but I can't see many options.

So I think that's our forward line moving forwards for a while

You would only do something like that if you thought the first 7-10 picks were much better than the rest of the draft pool.

Not a move you'd make if you thought the top 20 were fairly even. I just don't know enough about this crop to see how it lands.

Yep, 100%.

I’m just being real

Sam FROST - 28 this year

That is very stark when you look at those numbers :huh:

And of those ten I count at least three (JOM, Sicily and Gunston) with ongoing major injury concerns that could reduce their lifespans as players (possibly Chad as well) and two more who are on their last legs already in 2021 (Shiels and Big Boy)

The problem is though that I doubt we would get much in a trade scenario for most of these players anyway.

Maybe Tom Mitchell might get some value but the rest I just can't see teams parting with much at all given their age profiles/injury history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back