• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

I could not agree more. The original
Plan of the last 3-4 years regrettably has failed, and yes it is like turning the Titanic, the light bulb of failure has finally slipped on, but that does not mean we do not have to find a way to manage this List as hard and as quick as we can.

Perhaps acknowledging a different List profile now that is not one that is clearly contending, (FA spend) combined with manouvering to gain as many extra Draft collaterals as possible.
100%.
We have already turned to the future. Downie and Finn may take time and one or both may not be good enough but we have hardly paid the world for them.
Day, Grainger-Barrass, Seamus Mitchell, Brockman, CJ, Morris, Koschitzke, Jeka, Lewis Scrimshaw, Worpel are the next generation imo. This time in 18 months they will have a top 3 pick from this year (Maybe a sonsie or Horne, Roberts) as well as 2 picks inside 25 this year. If we can find a way next year to have 3-4 inside 25 our list profile will be young and exciting.

It really doesn't help that the young guys that Hawthorn fans would love to go and watch are injured (Day, DGB, Mitchell and Sicily who is obviously older but only 26)

I reckon we should go after some higher draft pick young players on the fringes ala scrimshaw types. Thinking guys like Kane farrell, Sam Flanders, jarrod brander, will Hayward, josh battle, Chayce Jones, Ely Smith, Miles bergman etc We missed out on young guys who would’ve cost next to nothing like amon and dan butler, so gotta try and find some of these kids, put the hawthorn development into them and see if we can get some things out of them. Don’t think these sorts of guys would cost too much high end draft capital either

I reckon we should go after some higher draft pick young players on the fringes ala scrimshaw types. Thinking guys like Kane farrell, Sam Flanders, jarrod brander, will Hayward, josh battle, Chayce Jones, Ely Smith, Miles bergman etc We missed out on young guys who would’ve cost next to nothing like amon and dan butler, so gotta try and find some of these kids, put the hawthorn development into them and see if we can get some things out of them. Don’t think these sorts of guys would cost too much high end draft capital either
Noticed Jordan Clark back in the Cats twos I personally would love to see him at the club .

If we finish bottom these are the players we should be targeting in the pre season draft as number 1 pick if they are out of contract.

100%.
We have already turned to the future. Downie and Finn may take time and one or both may not be good enough but we have hardly paid the world for them.
Day, Grainger-Barrass, Seamus Mitchell, Brockman, CJ, Morris, Koschitzke, Jeka, Lewis Scrimshaw, Worpel are the next generation imo. This time in 18 months they will have a top 3 pick from this year (Maybe a sonsie or Horne, Roberts) as well as 2 picks inside 25 this year. If we can find a way next year to have 3-4 inside 25 our list profile will be young and exciting.

It really doesn't help that the young guys that Hawthorn fans would love to go and watch are injured (Day, DGB, Mitchell and Sicily who is obviously older but only 26)

the mood on this board and around the media will be DRASTICALLY different if come the end of the year we have Day, DGB, Mitchell, Brockman Downie and Finn forcing their way into the 22. Extremley unlikely (as Finn, Downie and S.Mitch will likely need more time), but injury has robbed us of it so far

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhylee West anyone?
Looks like would be up for grabs now. Handy small forward / mid.
Dad not a fan of Beveridge 😂😂😂
View attachment 1123785

Beveridge does do this a lot. He makes wholesale changes constantly, after wins and losses, and I know from the families of Western Bulldogs players that he has his favourites which is why Bruce keeps getting games even though he has 1 great game a year and barely gets near it for the rest.

Bontempelli is a free agent. Playing pure hypothetical: what offer would be so much that he would have to accept it (the Dogs can't possibly have the same cap space as weaker sides given the strength of their list) and will a club be bold and try it like the Swans did with Buddy?

He is the #2 player in the comp right now behind Martin in my opinion. He could easily be the premier player of the next 5 years. I am thinking $1.5M type stuff would be required. At the moment there has been no talk to suggest he is interested in moving, but surely a club comes with a monster offer?

Bontempelli is a free agent. Playing pure hypothetical: what offer would be so much that he would have to accept it (the Dogs can't possibly have the same cap space as weaker sides given the strength of their list) and will a club be bold and try it like the Swans did with Buddy?

He is the #2 player in the comp right now behind Martin in my opinion. He could easily be the premier player of the next 5 years. I am thinking $1.5M type stuff would be required. At the moment there has been no talk to suggest he is interested in moving, but surely a club comes with a monster offer?

To get him to move from a contender who will be in the premiership window for the next 5 years at least, to us, who, at best may be contending in 2-4 years, it would need to be bigger than Franklin style deal.

Would say $13.5 million over 9 years ($1.5mil pa.). Dogs would probably offer $9million over 9 years. Difference would end up being 300k ish per year post-tax. Would never happen.

That deal will get sorted soon enough man. Talk is he is wanting a six year deal, the club is offering five. No chance he leaves. He's a Western Suburbs kid.

I heard a caller to SEN yesterday saying that Merrett was a chance. Honestly, it was a bit embarrassing listening to it. I think we just have to accept we are not landing a big fish. Being an unrestricted free agent means they are 25/26. No gun will consider coming to us at that age. Wingard himself must be regretting that decision as he's highly unlikely to play in any meaningful final again.

Someone like Cerra is a young player we might be able to entice home, by paying overs in salary. However, we couldn't consider our first pick this year to do it imo. Perhaps if one of our WA mids was willing to go home, and we added pick 20 also.

Last edited:
That deal will get sorted soon enough man. Talk is he is wanting a six year deal, the club is offering five. No chance he leaves. He's a Western Suburbs kid.

I heard a caller to SEN yesterday saying that Merrett was a chance. Honestly, it was a bit embarrassing listening to it. I think we just have to accept we are not landing a big fish. Being an unrestricted free agent means they are 25/26. No gun will consider coming to us at that age. Wingard himself must be regretting that decision as he's highly unlikely to play in any meaningful final again.

Someone like Cerra is a young player we might be able to entice home, by paying overs in salary. However, we couldn't consider our first pick this year to do it imo. Perhaps if one of our WA mids was willing to go home, and we added pick 20 also.

More of a Northern suburbs kid, grew up around the Eltham area, but I agree with your sentiment entirely that he won't leave.

I've finally tipped to not re-signing. A heart-breaking position. After last year and this it has become obvious that AC missed the mark on moving the team forward. And the game plan looks inappropriate to either the list, the competition or both. I'm ready to see someone new tackle the challenge. Hard to believe I've decided this but it's where we're at.

Surely you haven't turned Carl?

Merrett ain't happening.

But hopefully Cerra does, he fits the talent AND age profile perfectly. He's exactly the kind of class midfielder that we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back