News Scott Lycett signs with Port Districts

Lycett's action was considerably less violent than Neale-Bullen's.
And McHenry's injury was far less severe than the Crows player in that Dees game.

Comparatively, SL should get 3 games. Or NB should have gotten 5 to 6 games.

Based on Fritsch, etc then SL should have gotten 1 game, but realistically SL should be penalised more than that. But so should those other cases!!!!

Bloody hell, some players running around at the moment seem to have been kissed on the old todger by a fairy.

I thought Lycetts was worse than Neal-Bullens personally, and the refusing to get off him for 20 seconds afterwards

Jan 20, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I thought Lycetts was worse than Neal-Bullens personally, and the refusing to get off him for 20 seconds afterwards
What’s your justification for it being worse? Neal bullen slung him to the ground from a height using his jumper. Lycett wrapped him up while basically on his knees and rotated his body to put him on the ground. Definitely less forceful. And the getting off him has nothing to do with the tackle and shouldn’t come in to it.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port players hold a lot of suspension records - Pickett most weeks for a bump, Lycett most weeks for a ‘sling’ tackle, Kornes most weeks for a push, Poole most weeks for a tummy tap, P.Burgoyne most weeks for a ‘spear’ tackle etc
Don't forget the Primus rule changes. You can tell each time who those new to following Port are. They have faith the next player doing the same thing will get the same penalty. This is what angers me about the penalty. If I truly believed that a new standard had been set and a big name Vic player doing the same thing would get the same penalty I'd be '4 seems a week too much, but that's the new standard for everyone so I can live with it'. We all know that won't happen though. The mental and physical gymnastics to get a 'good bloke' downgraded for something very similar to 2 weeks sometime this year or next will just have me raging, even though I know it's going to happen.

Last edited:

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What’s your justification for it being worse? Neal bullen slung him to the ground from a height using his jumper. Lycett wrapped him up while basically on his knees and rotated his body to put him on the ground. Definitely less forceful. And the getting off him has nothing to do with the tackle and shouldn’t come in to it.
Exactly.
Lycett didn't know the kid was knocked out whilst he was still on him..

Nobody did really that's why nobody from Adelaide remonstrated

Don't forget the Primus rule changes. You can tell each time who those new to following Port are. They have faith the next player doing the same thing will get the same penalty. This is what angers me about the penalty. If I truly believed that a new standard had been set and a big name Vic player doing the same thing would get the same penalty I'd be '4 seems a week too much, but that's the new standard for everyone so I can live with it'. We all know that won't happen though. The mental and physical gymnastics to get a 'good bloke' downgraded for something very similar to 2 weeks sometime this year or next will just have me raging, even though I know it's going to happen.
Nice guy Lou Codge got 2 weeks for slamming a bloke's head into a goal post. If a Port player did that, there would have been calls for a jail sentence.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I personally think it was as bad as any of the slam tackles i've seen previously. I know there was a huge size and strength differential but he absolutely smashed him into the ground. If 4 is the standard then it deserved 4.

That said, I don't think any tackle where you're tackling the player with the ball should be worth 4 weeks. He didn't snipe anyone, he didn't run past the ball to bump, it wasn't off the ball. He tackled him too hard and deserved 2-3, but 4 is too many given what comparative high bumps get.

Crocodile Dumbdee

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Seems the hatred of Port Adelaide has rolled over from the SANFL to the VFL. I thought 3 games was a stretch, 2 games about right.
And to all you cows supporters tugging off thinking you've had a little win. GNAD.

25 - 24 and counting. We've proved over the years we are superior to you. Those two flags you snagged were rigged, they changed the finals system because of your fluke wins. You are little sister to Port Adelaide.

agmsy

All Australian
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Nah.

If Lycett had slung McHenry through the same arc that Neal-Bullen slung Hamill through, Mchenry would be dead. This is the crux of the of what our advocate was saying last night about centrifugal force and hammer-throw and shot-put.

As for not getting off him after the tackle, if you give Lycett the benefit of the doubt and assume that he didn't know McHenry was in a bad way, that's consistent with how he behaves pretty much every other time he gets up (or delays getting up) after tacklng someone.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Seems the hatred of Port Adelaide has rolled over from the SANFL to the VFL. I thought 3 games was a stretch, 2 games about right.
And to all you cows supporters tugging off thinking you've had a little win. GNAD.

25 - 24 and counting. We've proved over the years we are superior to you. Those two flags you snagged were rigged, they changed the finals system because of your fluke wins. You are little sister to Port Adelaide.

I see them as the bastard child - we ****ed their mum (SANFL).

Back