Not open for further replies.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
From Leppa yesterday "they’re really competitive in the air, but if Weitering or Liam Jones don’t mark it and hits the deck, they’re not winning that ground level ball in their back half"

This game may rest with our defence and our ability to shut down players like Kozzie and Fritsch. I'm a little worried!

Weitering and Jones will likely get Brown and McDonald

Who gets Fritsch, Kozzie and Jackson?

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
From Leppa yesterday "they’re really competitive in the air, but if Weitering or Liam Jones don’t mark it and hits the deck, they’re not winning that ground level ball in their back half"

This game may rest with our defence and our ability to shut down players like Kozzie and Fritsch. I'm a little worried!

Won't see all of Brown, McDonald, Fritsch and Jackson in the forward line at the same time, except when there's already been a stoppage. One will typically be pushing right up the ground or rotating in the ruck while Gawn is on the bench.

Parks and Plowman are the two that are likely to pick up the third and (occasional) fourth tall.

Leaves Saad, Doc and Stocker to mind Pickett and any other smalls and resting mids.

Never wish injury on anyone, but jeez it would be nice this week if it was the opposition having to activate their sub early rather than us.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Play Levi back on Jackson/Gawn, Pitto in the Ruck/chopout forward, TDK forward/chop out ruck

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
After the failure, yet again, of our midfleid under pressure (not the Queen/Bowie song). I think that we definitely need to make a couple of changes.

B: Williams, Weitering, Doc
HB: Parks, Jones, Plowman
C: Walsh, Cuningham, Williamson
Fol: TDK, Setterfield, Dow
HF: Honey, Casboult, Kennedy
F: Owies, McKay, Betts

IC: Ed, Stocker, Fogarty, Cotterell

Outs: Pittonet (Managed), Cripps (managed), Saad (managed), JSOS (Concussion), Gibbons (omitted), Newnes (Omitted)
Ins: TDK, Setterfield, Williamson, Kennedy, Honey, Dow

Will we win... maybe, maybe not. I'd say TDK for Casboult, but Pittonet needs a period of R&R. Cripps and Saad are playing hurt and need a rest. JSOS is just pure bad luck. Honey has been kicking braces of goals in the VFL for fun it seems, time to see what he offers instead of Gibbons. And time to see what Williamson can offer as a link up winger.
Not sure what this obsession with Setterfield and Kennedy. Setterfield is seriously overrated and Kennedy is a strong ressies player. He is to slow for AFL.

Bryce Bubbles

All Australian
Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't think anyone is suggesting he's a star, but you can't deny his effort plays do have an impact. Just watch the game and you can see the influence he has when in a contest even though he doesn't get the stat for it.

He definitely needs to finish those goals, though. Especially when they're that easy. Similar to Fog I think they both actually wanted to pass it off and were caught in between. If you're open and in space 20m from goal, just kick the bloody goal.
Good points!

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania

OK so if an esteemed analyst doubts out ability to win the ground ball in defence, what better argument to play Williams down back?

Sick of the rhetoric around our failed midfield recruits. From limited opportunity Stocker’s vision and execution set up two goals. Give him some bloody midfield time. Williams unfit playing through there, Dow with limited to no defensive running been given chance after chance. Stop banging on about his lack of tank. Our development is being destroyed from within.

I gave you a bunch of examples where he's moving on his knee with flexibility and planting on it.

His performance is not being hampered by his knee. It's hampered by the fact that he is a limited footballer and struggles to make good decisions particularly under pressure.

If anything is shot, it's his confidence. Happens to a lot of players when they reach past 30 years of age.

Your observations regarding Levi's performance with ball in hand in the last quarter are 100% spot on - he doesn't have the field awareness or skill to be a distributor.

However I do think he is playing very hampered in what he does do well and that is contested marking- he can't leap and that is his 1 Wood. To further the analogy - Levi "puts like he drives" as far as general basic field skills go - he is elite in contested marking ( which he cant do because he has lost his leap) and pretty much crap in everything else is big man slow and clumsy.

Ironically - this merely points out another example of the game plan working because positionally the team is set up to score fairly easily - and failing because of basic skill errors - the wrong person in the right spot.

Bryce Bubbles

All Australian
Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

This would be the worst post of the year but hear goes...Eddie Betts to defence this weeks. If our talks drop it or it hits the ground Eddie knows where to be and can distribute it well. Bring on honey? Drop plowman

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Your observations regarding Levi's performance with ball in hand in the last quarter are 100% spot on - he doesn't have the field awareness or skill to be a distributor.

However I do think he is playing very hampered in what he does do well and that is contested marking- he can't leap and that is his 1 Wood. To further the analogy - Levi "puts like he drives" as far as general basic field skills go - he is elite in contested marking ( which he cant do because he has lost his leap) and pretty much crap in everything else is big man slow and clumsy.

Ironically - this merely points out another example of the game plan working because positionally the team is set up to score fairly easily - and failing because of basic skill errors - the wrong person in the right spot.
It should be a team rule if you kick it to Levi, you have to run past him for the handball receive.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
I gave you a bunch of examples where he's moving on his knee with flexibility and planting on it.

His performance is not being hampered by his knee. It's hampered by the fact that he is a limited footballer and struggles to make good decisions particularly under pressure.

If anything is shot, it's his confidence. Happens to a lot of players when they reach past 30 years of age.
Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with your assessment of his decision making, limited ability and age etc, I can tell you what I mentioned is accurate as well.

Not going to disclose how I heard this info but let me assure you it is fact.....

Was discussed at a private lunch last week in which only 2 people attended and discussed it amongst many other topics....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Whilst I don’t necessarily disagree with your assessment of his decision making, limited ability and age etc, I can tell you what I mentioned is accurate as well.

Not going to disclose how I heard this info but let me assure you it is fact.....

Was discussed at a private lunch last week in which only 2 people attended and discussed it amongst many other topics....

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers

Parks - Jackson
Stocker or Saad - Pickett
Plowman - Fritsch

Not ideal but maybe the best we can do, Plowman & Parks could possibly switch.

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
It was such a discrete part of the game but the JSOS and Fog misses in the second quartet really hurt from a momentum perspective.
Wasn't discrete at all. I think most people watching knew how the game was going to play out.

Blow easy chances against good sides and you'll lose. It's one of the few certainties in footy.

Jul 7, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames
His decision making and execution is killing us and this shot knee story is just an excuse when he's out there sidestepping and pirouetting his way around the ground. I don't think he's playing pain free, but it's definitely manageable and not the cause of his mistakes.

It's nothing personal, fwiw, I think he's a great character, very loyal club man. This is based purely on his ability to play football at AFL level.

I agree, but I think this is largely due to him reverting back to some of his old tendencies. His set shot execution over the last couple years seemed to have improved, but since the second half of last year has again turned pretty poor.

I also think he's rushing through his set shot routine now and not giving him enough time to rest and lower his heart rate. His set shot on the angle in the last quarter was a prime example of that

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
However do yourself a favour and go to the Melbourne forum and you’d think they’ve won 3 flags in a row,best team since slice bread and bagging the crap out of us......yep the DEES.

Yep they’ve won 8 games in a row last time I checked the premiership is won in September or October.

Hilarious.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Touch hyperbolic there mate. Most of us won’t be surprised if we lose this week as our form in the past two weeks is pretty average.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Like I said, he's not playing pain free. But I can guarantee you there are a lot of footballers that aren't. As an example, Neale injuring his ankle and continuing against us, Hunter this past weekend breaking his hand...

His knee is not the main cause of his inability to perform. The movement he has displayed is clear evidence of that. Sidestepping players, pirouetting through traffic, the ground ball get followed by a sidestep... it's obvious he's not that hampered by it.

If it was that bad, surely we would've given him a couple weeks off at the start of the season when we still had OMac available...

You don't need your knee to be 100% to know when to dish off a handball and/or who it should go to. If anything as I said earlier, if he is even slightly hampered by it, he should be looking to avoid kicking where possible. He had ample opportunities to do so yet still opted to kick knowing he's hampered? Sorry, it doesn't make sense.

Demons have a few talls to deal with. He won't be dropped this week, but he will likely cause more headaches as he has been one of the main culprits of our momentum killers along with Williams and Cripps.

There are too many excuses for Levi and he has spent all his tickets. We are at a stage where we need to be vigilant and manage our list properly so we are not reliant on him to fill voids.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't keep playing SPS as the sub, MC needs to make the call on whether he's in the 22 or in the reserves for a full game to work on [whatever].

Honey as a straight swap for JSOS could well be worth a look, but would probably prefer TDK so that he and Pitto can tag team Gawn.

Murph for Gibbons is probably the right move at the moment, though Fogarty might benefit from a week off so he'd be a possible out instead.

Conservative option:
TDK for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons

Bold option:
TDK for Casboult
Honey for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons
Honey for Fogarty

Subject to fitness:
Setters or Dow for Williams

I thought we don't have a reserves game this week.

With the talls the Demons have, we won't be dropping Casboult. Just have to hope he doesn't play another stinker.

With your bold option, you have Honey coming in for JSOS then you have him coming in again for Fogarty, assuming you meant Durdin? I wouldn't mind seeing them both get a run.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Like I said, he's not playing pain free. But I can guarantee you there are a lot of footballers that aren't. As an example, Neale injuring his ankle and continuing against us, Hunter this past weekend breaking his hand...

His knee is not the main cause of his inability to perform. The movement he has displayed is clear evidence of that. Sidestepping players, pirouetting through traffic, the ground ball get followed by a sidestep... it's obvious he's not that hampered by it.

If it was that bad, surely we would've given him a couple weeks off at the start of the season when we still had OMac available...

You don't need your knee to be 100% to know when to dish off a handball and/or who it should go to. If anything as I said earlier, if he is even slightly hampered by it, he should be looking to avoid kicking where possible. He had ample opportunities to do so yet still opted to kick knowing he's hampered? Sorry, it doesn't make sense.

Demons have a few talls to deal with. He won't be dropped this week, but he will likely cause more headaches as he has been one of the main culprits of our momentum killers along with Williams and Cripps.

There are too many excuses for Levi and he has spent all his tickets. We are at a stage where we need to be vigilant and manage our list properly so we are not reliant on him to fill voids.
As I said his knee problem is preventing him to train, which impacts a few things....

1- Fitness/tank
2- Skill refinement & execution
3- Timing/Leaping
4- Confidence & Decision making
5- Overall performance

He is being asked to play a tough role whilst not being 100% fit and having issues in all the above categories.

Some players find it easier to play with injuries, particularly when they are more naturally skilled or are not required to crash & bash packs or compete in the ruck against big bodies etc

We need him to play a role for us this week but the word was he was only retaining a spot until TDK was ready to return then would be rested so he can manage his knee appropriately.

Injuries to Silvagni & McGovern over the past couple of weeks may alter that plan for 1 more week at least.

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Standards have to be set.

Been saying it all season. Players getting a run when they don't deserve it is always going to lead to complacency.

It seems a bit too coincidental that when Teague comes out and specifically states he'd have no problem dropping Betts if his form warrants it, that Betts plays his best consecutive games since coming back... it must have lit a fire under his arse.

If it were up to me this week, Williams would be getting dropped. We have no problem dropping guys like SPS, Dow, Setters etc when they put in those types of performances and no one can say this is a one off with Williams either. We need to set the standard now, he hasn't been good enough and he needs to earn his way into the side. Gonna hit him harder this week too with no reserves game, but we need to show him we're fair dinkum and tbh the way he's been going it's really no loss to drop him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back