Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen enough of Kai Lohmann to pass an opinion on his draft chances, he's caught my eye so far this season?
No notes on him, although I've really only watched the Rebels in round 2 loosely and round 1 in a similar fashion, so it's been the typical Gibcus, Butler, Scott (to a degree) that have stood out. I'll watch Murray v GWV at some point this week to see his game, but nothing at this stage sorry

I think these first 3 rounds of the NAB League will be quickly forgotten. The main gam will be when the league gets back and is the only show in town. That is when you want your fancies to be firing.

I am definitely not a fan of this break, it just stops momentum for those not engaged in school footy.

I think these first 3 rounds of the NAB League will be quickly forgotten. The main gam will be when the league gets back and is the only show in town. That is when you want your fancies to be firing.

I am definitely not a fan of this break, it just stops momentum for those not engaged in school footy.
It's been good to refresh notes on those we already knew would be good, and to have guys sort of jump up relatively out of nowhere like Gibcus (had some notes but not heaps), Butler, Macdonald and Calaghan in particular. If they maintain that form after the break then as you say, it'll be super for them and cement them as higher end prospects

I really like Erasmus but top 20 I'm surprised with. I don't see him being a midfielder at the top level, but could be a very crafty 3rd tall/medium forward. Has pace about him as well which is nice for someone 188cm. Subiaco will lose him back to school footy now for most of the season.

I really like Erasmus but top 20 I'm surprised with. I don't see him being a midfielder at the top level, but could be a very crafty 3rd tall/medium forward. Has pace about him as well which is nice for someone 188cm. Subiaco will lose him back to school footy now for most of the season.
Admittedly my exposure is limited, but I've been impressed with his work around stoppages when in the midfield, he seems pretty agile as well, but both of these could be products of the quality of the opposition at 19s level, he's one I'd really want to see at senior level where the standard is closer to AFL level

Admittedly my exposure is limited, but I've been impressed with his work around stoppages when in the midfield, he seems pretty agile as well, but both of these could be products of the quality of the opposition at 19s level, he's one I'd really want to see at senior level where the standard is closer to AFL level
He's just been added to the AFL Academy squad to play Geelong's twos this weekend so that's handy for him. He's definitely a lot stronger than most of the kids he's playing against, and going back to school footy is the exact opposite of what he probably needs this year. I think he could slot into Subiaco's league side as a small forward without any real problems.

You can add Lewis Rayson as a later pick as well. Clarkson’s comments of if you can’t kick you can’t play have never been more truer. Wouldn’t mind Hobbs at the first either.
I have Banks ahead of Rayson, but they’re the two I’m looking at.

If I’m honest, I’d probably take Banks at our first pick, with who’s on board at that stage.

View attachment 1105760
So as usual I'm not claiming to be a list expert, but this is what I feel is a nice mix of best available/ need based drafting. The talk of a lack of talls in the pool this year I feel is overplayed, obviously like the guys in the top 20 here and think there's some underrated guys running about, especially from what I've seen in NAB League.

If the Swans have a choice of Howes or Bazzo and choose someone else I will turn the air blue with rage

Brief Academy game v Geelong summary
Thanks to giantroo (can't recommend their patreon enough, well worth it) I've managed to watch the bits of the Academy game I missed last Saturday. It's a really interesting game, obviously the scoreline was awful for the academy, but there are still quite a few that impressed me with some of their traits.

Josh Gibcus is, shock horror, a huge talent, like genuinely I reckon he'll be taken top 10 if he keeps up this improvement and continues to show what he's showing. It'll be interesting come champs time how he does against WA in particular, given that Jack Williams also impressed in the academy game, they both have that high level speed/ leap, so as a one-on-one match up it'll be a good test to see where both are, Williams I'm beginning to think will go before Van Rooyen as well given that athleticism and versatility, not that Van Rooyen's is bad but Williams seems to just be elite in that aspect. Bazzo has been one I've struggled with ranking given he's flipped forward in the WAFL, but I agree with others (like my dearest friend Bastyy) that he's a KPD at the next level, just looks so natural down there and uses it well coming out of defensive 50.
Fahey had a good game obviously, but didn't do anything that, if you had watched him at all before, you didn't already know he could do. In saying that it looks like his positioning and marking has improved a bit.

From the midfielders, Daicos of course racked it up. I've seen some criticism on him from this game, this genuinely was a lower level performance by his standards recently, so I'm not marking him down from this performance, but it'll be interesting to see if he has the same nerves around the contest when he plays for the Pies VFL in the NAB League Break (possibly beyond depending on the rules). Horne looked good, I don't really see the criticisms some have given him from this game, people saying he should've been better given his SANFL experience, but he's played HFF at SANFL level, not full time midfield, so it was still a big adjustment positionally, as well as coming up against a side with a lot more full time AFL players and lack of other big bodies to support. Matthew Johnson I was really impressed with in the few stints he got through the midfield, was probably the main one I thought dealt with the size of the opposition the best, was handy around the ground and did a few underrated things that haven't been mentioned, some one grab contested groundballs in particular impressed me.

Erasmus up forward (didn't notice him through the midfield) looked good as a lead up forward, did some good things with it as well, but not the best game to show your quality as a forward given the lack of entries. Rachele was one that actually shocked me how involved he got, a big question mark over him has been his defensive workrate, had no issues with it in this game which is promising for the next level. I've wanted to see him play more permanent midfield but it seems he's destined to be a forward that pinch hits through the guts which is disappointing given his quality through there.

Others that were in between a few positions; Mac Andrew, I've seen every Dandenong game to start the season and he gets better each week, gets midfielders numbers and just moves really well through traffic for a 200cm player. He's worked on his forward craft constantly and it shows in the games as his leading patterns get better and better, although I like him most in the Ruck and in defense, for mine, he's the best ruck in the pool currently (outside of Edwards and maybe Heath) and was the best performed Ruck in the small stints he got. Matthew Roberts as well, really hard done by to get next to no midfield minutes, he's such a gun on the inside and in a game where they were screaming out for some inside class and grunt it was annoying he wasn't given a good go through there, but he's better than the performance he put in and his champs will reflect that.

It's been good to refresh notes on those we already knew would be good, and to have guys sort of jump up relatively out of nowhere like Gibcus (had some notes but not heaps), Butler, Macdonald and Calaghan in particular. If they maintain that form after the break then as you say, it'll be super for them and cement them as higher end prospects
I’m keen to know more about MacDonald. He sounds like everything we need at the moment, and hoping we might be able to grab him with the pick we have of the Pies if he doesn’t rise too far.

No notes on him, although I've really only watched the Rebels in round 2 loosely and round 1 in a similar fashion, so it's been the typical Gibcus, Butler, Scott (to a degree) that have stood out. I'll watch Murray v GWV at some point this week to see his game, but nothing at this stage sorry
Any updates after watching the game....I like him a lot on what I've seen this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m keen to know more about MacDonald. He sounds like everything we need at the moment, and hoping we might be able to grab him with the pick we have of the Pies if he doesn’t rise too far.
Yeah MacDonald's been brilliant every game for Dandenong so far, for mine he's been best on in each game with Mac Andrew the other consistently good one for them. Good bit of speed and agility to him with some clean skills as well, not afraid to win his own ball either so he's well rounded and is putting out good performances against good sides like Sandringham and GWV, he's one that I reckon is going to be relying on the champs a bit to raise into a clear first round prospect, given he won't be the main man so stints down forward will be longer, and if he can't get into the game filling the forward role then that'd be concerning.

Any updates after watching the game....I like him a lot on what I've seen this year.
Yeah sorry I forgot about this! Looks good athletically and was super against Murray, has a bit of polishing up to do skills wise, especially his kicking, but has that athleticism that gives you the feeling he's likely to get picked up, either late or as a rookie.

early may phantom.PNG
So once again I don't claim to be a list expert and I'm getting more and more unsure of how the first round will play out the more footy I watch and the more cross referencing I do with eDPS
It's weird, Daicos and Horne are clear top 2, and then that 3-15 range is really hard to nail/ figure out atm just minor things separating each, almost makes me feel overly pedantic looking for them.

How strong is this draft looking early in the season?
It's hard to say this early in with such little exposure to some of the Vic kids, plus Northern Academies could yet have some break out players in the coming NAB League rounds. Most of what we've seen from the VIC kids that didn't play 16s or any NAB League fixtures in 2019 are just traits as opposed to strung together form which makes it more difficult to call this early in. In saying that, there's a bit to like from SA and WA early on, WA have a really good contingent of those 190cm+ prospects that'll go first round/ early second in Johnson and Erasmus (midfielders), Williams, Van Rooyen and Bazzo. As well as some mids that could go from mid first round onwards in the likes of Browne, Dittmar, Chipper, etc. SA have some real quality small/ mid sized players, so there's a good mix of sizes available as well. I'm not really one for comparing drafts, but I reckon this draft will have similar, if not better, quality than last years

probably worth putting this up in here given a)I contributed and b) the mid-season draft is coming up shortly.

It'll be interesting to see how the MSD plays out, given that we don't really know how many picks are available yet and that we don't know how each club will approach it. I like what happened in 2019 with guys like Snelling, Noble and Pickett able to have an immediate impact and have sustained that up until this point, but with the amount of 19 year olds that missed out on the 2020 draft and the rise of some of those players this may just be mainly used as a 19-year olds draft, which seems to be the early consensus with the likes of Edwards, Moyle, Heath, even Avery being seen as potential guys for those top few picks.

probably worth putting this up in here given a)I contributed and b) the mid-season draft is coming up shortly.

It'll be interesting to see how the MSD plays out, given that we don't really know how many picks are available yet and that we don't know how each club will approach it. I like what happened in 2019 with guys like Snelling, Noble and Pickett able to have an immediate impact and have sustained that up until this point, but with the amount of 19 year olds that missed out on the 2020 draft and the rise of some of those players this may just be mainly used as a 19-year olds draft, which seems to be the early consensus with the likes of Edwards, Moyle, Heath, even Avery being seen as potential guys for those top few picks.
Any ready to go KPD that could fill a Lachie Keefe sized hole for the remainder of the year.

Any ready to go KPD that could fill a Lachie Keefe sized hole for the remainder of the year.
I'm not overly convinced by anything I've seen unfortunately. I'd consider looking at some guys from the last 3-4 drafts that perhaps had some draftable qualities, guys like Kyle Reid, Dyson Hilder, Jack Johnston come to mind that may be able to play a lock down role but probably aren't worth keeping on a list past the 6-month period. Maybe we could look at Cody Raak if he's still available, or another 192ish defender, but I'm not convinced that'd work with the taller forwards like Kings x 2, McKay, etc

The MSD might be a bit of a White Elephant, I’m not sure clubs have got their head around it and those likely to be considered for being drafted at the end of the year should think long and hard about nominating. Clubs seem to look for quick fixes MSD wise....still have the Cody Hirst cautionary tale in my thinking.

The MSD might be a bit of a White Elephant, I’m not sure clubs have got their head around it and those likely to be considered for being drafted at the end of the year should think long and hard about nominating. Clubs seem to look for quick fixes MSD wise....still have the Cody Hirst cautionary tale in my thinking.
Players being able to nominate terms solves that. Edwards could ask for a standard first rounder contract plus 6 months in exchange for North getting pre-ND access.

Clubs might not bite, of course.

Players being able to nominate terms solves that. Edwards could ask for a standard first rounder contract plus 6 months in exchange for North getting pre-ND access.

Clubs might not bite, of course.
You right, if they bite.....It is a tricky one....particularly in this environment

mid may phantom.PNG
Shock horror not much changes for my first round phantom, with the major changes only coming because of teams shifting a bit or I feel like I've spotted a new need for a club. I am interested to see how 19-year-olds playing up at VFL level will impact some of these guys, and even them playing at VFL level. Sonsie obviously had a good display for box hill, Goater debuted for Essendon, Fahey came back in and did really well in our heavy loss to Richmond, but all will come and play NAB League again (or for the first time in Fahey's case), so to see if it has any noticeable impact is going to be good. A little off topic but I noticed with some of the NAB League Girls players, they looked much better coming back after VFLW games, more confident and composed, that's what I'm hoping to see for these guys.
Darcy is a curious case as well, played mainly KPD in NAB League but has been tearing it up as a KPF/ Ruck at school level, and with Moyle likely to stick with Pies VFL/ go in the MSD, the chance to be Number 1 Ruck will be there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back