Bluemour Melting Pot XXVIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall most people on here were dismissive of going after him. I think most clubs were the same.

It doesn't really make sense looking back, he's always been quality and was being pushed out the door so was cheap in contract and in trade value. Wonder what put clubs off so much.
Soft tissues injuries is my guess

I recall most people on here were dismissive of going after him. I think most clubs were the same.

It doesn't really make sense looking back, he's always been quality and was being pushed out the door so was cheap in contract and in trade value. Wonder what put clubs off so much.
1 He has had major hamstring issues
2 The deal was complicated and would be time consuming with the Pies negotiating over salary contribution and draft pick. Even after the trade went through they were arguing over it.
3 the unknown of did he really have mental health issues and would his partner being in Qld be a problem.
4 Why would the Pies be so keen to get rid of one of their top 4 players if there isn't something else going on. You wouldn't want to fall for a Jonathon Hay/Chris Yarran trade disaster. Clubs rarely let talented players go for unders.

1 He has had major hamstring issues
2 The deal was complicated and would be time consuming with the Pies negotiating over salary contribution and draft pick. Even after the trade went through they were arguing over it.
3 the unknown of did he really have mental health issues and would his partner being in Qld be a problem.
4 Why would the Pies be so keen to get rid of one of their top 4 players if there isn't something else going on. You wouldn't want to fall for a Jonathon Hay/Chris Yarran trade disaster. Clubs rarely let talented players go for unders.
1. Fair, but with the low cost it's a worthwhile risk.
2. Again, being so cheap you'd deal with the complications.
3. That was never a problem, it was made up by Collingwood and was immediately shot down by Adam and his Mrs.
4. Because they stuffed up there salary cap, which was widely known.

Hindsight helps for sure, but it does seem a really obvious one now and the worries at the time do look somewhat trivial now.

Try not to ignore the second part in brackets.
I was referring to the new rules making the game faster and how he appears to be struggling to adapt to it so far. His injury could be exaggerating that, or it may not even be a thing, but I'm not the first to mention it.
Let's be honest, as great as Cripps is, he's probably the worst runner in the league out of the top 50 mids.
Was some lovely data somewhere that I can't find on my phone quickly showing that the game (excluding the 2020 year) hasn't got faster at all. Its pretty much the same as its always been. Scoring isn't up, speed isn't up.

I think your being a bit harsh on Brittain here, only had 2 years and, whilst there may not have been a lot of due process, pretty sure he came highly recommended by Parkin who made no secret that Brittain was doing most of the match day coaching which got us to a Granny in 2000.

Did win our first wooden spoon but I always felt that was the worst year I'd seen for injuries at Carlton.

There was absolutely no due process in Pagan's appointment. He was, however sold a huge dump by Elliott though.
I arent judging Brittain to be honest. He did pretty good in the circumstances. What I felt at the time however and I remember it vividly was it was a mistake to appoint him and a sign of a club going down the gurgler. We had a brief false dawn and then the long dark night.

Recruiting players on $800k that aren't fit to play games screams bust to me.
How do you know what any player is on matey mate? How about confining rants to verifiable facts.

Rants? I posted a couple of one line comments...

We are on a footy discussion forum mate, I suggest you go else where for verifiable facts.

probably went too hard on your post - but all this speculation about who is being paid what and then to go on and on about it ...meh

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soft tissue injuries and rightly or wrongly would ha e been worried about his long seperation from the bedrock that would be his wife and very young child considering he’s been open about his mental health issues.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

1. Fair, but with the low cost it's a worthwhile risk.
2. Again, being so cheap you'd deal with the complications.
3. That was never a problem, it was made up by Collingwood and was immediately shot down by Adam and his Mrs.
4. Because they stuffed up there salary cap, which was widely known.

Hindsight helps for sure, but it does seem a really obvious one now and the worries at the time do look somewhat trivial now.

Point 3, you obviously don’t know about his previous (and probably ongoing) mental health issues.
He’s spoken about it very openly on AFL360 a couple of times

Point 3, you obviously don’t know about his previous (and probably ongoing) mental health issues.
He’s spoken about it very openly on AFL360 a couple of times

I was referring more specifically to the partner playing interstate part of the point.

The mental health stuff isn't a red flag to me as every club would have several players with mental health battles. It's not the concern it used to be.

Re: Treloar

Easy to say your partner not being around isn't going to cause any issues. More difficult when you're living it.

It's only round two/three of the netball season. Treloar was always going to start like a house on fire with the Dogs. His partner would have been there throughout preseason and the opening month or so of the season.

I wish him the best but let's see where he's at in a month or two when the separation really kicks in.

I think your being a bit harsh on Brittain here, only had 2 years and, whilst there may not have been a lot of due process, pretty sure he came highly recommended by Parkin who made no secret that Brittain was doing most of the match day coaching which got us to a Granny in 2000.

Did win our first wooden spoon but I always felt that was the worst year I'd seen for injuries at Carlton.

There was absolutely no due process in Pagan's appointment. He was, however sold a huge dump by Elliott though.
Yep we had a horror run with injury Kouta played 3 games due to his knee in 2002 .
SOS had retired end of 2001 braddles wasnt the player he once was same with Andy Mckay , it was a write year due to injury.
We got the messiah complex went after Pagan who then said we would make finals getting players back then finished 2nd last in Pagans first year .
Seriously harsh for anybody to be judging brittain who was highly recommended and annointed by Parkin for his work as assistant in 2000 and after only 2 years at the helm of a fast sinking ship .

Higher - so technically the games slower if you want to look at that. More stoppages and they take longer to clear, I assume thanks to the umpires waiting for teams to get set and waiting for ruck nominations.

I thought the number of stoppages had decreased by approx 20% this year?

Treloar wasn't being shopped at a discount in both salary and trade value. You'd have needed to be prepared to pay full salary or fair trade value, to get a discount on the other.

Pies weren't going to negotiate with clubs that couldn't meet either of these conditions, which excluded most, including us.

Dogs could meet at least one of these if Dunkley left so were easily the Pies best bet.

Maybe it was the Dogs plan all along, but in the end Pies were out of time and options hence the heavy discount. We were never in a position to string them along and pull a last minute swifty.

183295492_1946750165500784_8227887937860299273_n.jpg
"He's reasonably invested in making our club a very good footy club. He's probably almost as invested as he was in 2019 from what I can see."

- Sam Docherty on quotes you won't see

Treloar wasn't being shopped at a discount in both salary and trade value. You'd have needed to be prepared to pay full salary or fair trade value, to get a discount on the other.

Pies weren't going to negotiate with clubs that couldn't meet either of these conditions, which excluded most, including us.

Dogs could meet at least one of these if Dunkley left so were easily the Pies best bet.

Maybe it was the Dogs plan all along, but in the end Pies were out of time and options hence the heavy discount. We were never in a position to string them along and pull a last minute swifty.
Disagree. It was always going to be a discount on salary and trade value.

As soon as it became public knowledge they had cap problems and were willing to pay part of his salary they lost all leverage and were never going to get a fair trade.

Whoever was willing to deal with then was always going to get a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back