List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep Sicily above anyone with the exception of Will Day. Actually makes our team infinitely better and has potentially the best years ahead of him. Two mid first rounds for Sicily isn't enough, let alone giving a second back. If Sic wants out next year as a FA, and we finish bottom or there abouts then maybe begrudgingly accept the first round Compo pick. At this stage he's turning 28. A 28 year old for pick 2 or 3 in our position is something we can't turn down almost irrespective of the player.
My strategy would be to use our two second rounds as bait to get the Magpies 2022 first. That gives them the points to match for Daicos, or offer our picks for GWS first as they wont want to lose their pick for their academy pick Josh Fahey.
Also would look to move either Mitchell or Worpel to whoever gets us a better first round pick.
Use the PSD to recruit 1 -2 highly rated young guys from one of the better clubs or interstate clubs where kids haven't settled or where the young guys haven't got a look in. Cody Weightman , Sam Flanders and a tried and proven ruckman...I would have said Sam Hayes but think he's signed.
Use the MSD to recruit a young ruckman. Seems there are three handy ones up for grabs...
Don't bother with high priced FA's yet, go down that path in 2-3 years when our young guys have developed a bit.
Keep our cap space.
Move on Shiels, Big Boy, Cegs, Burgoyne.
Make Jaegar captain until Day is ready 2 years later.
Move on the players who have had a few years in the system and just don't look like they have it in them...Nash, Cousins, Howe, Broosksby, Hanrahan etc...
I could go deeper but our strategy will tell whether we are out of the woods in two years time or are the next Carlton, Melbourne spending 10+ years and multiple rebuilds to get back to being where we belong.

They took a first round selection in 2018 and 2020 so they should be okay.

Ah my bad. I'd just assumed that the pick in the 20s that they received in the higgins deal was a second rounder, but it was Richmond's first round pick.

Have heard again that the Saints are going hard for Sicily. Two first round picks with one of our second rounders going back.
If that ends up being <9 and a pick 11-15 that'd probably not the worst deal going. Would absolutely suck to lose Sic, but if we're going hard at the rebuild with the goal of being higher up the ladder from 2023 onwards we need high quality draft picks and Sicily probably wouldn't be around for that extended period anyway. Would want us to try and milk them for every draft point on offer though- get them to trade up first kinda deal, like we did for JOM.

Gunston has barely played and Breust has been in the team whilst we are copping the same hidings. Seems like not much of a difference is being made at the moment.
The only hiding we have copper this year was against the saints. I don't think there have been too many ten goal hidings and respectable efforts against some top teams. We have bad quarters BUT take out Mitchell and Breust and OMeara and whoever else you think has trade value and you will definitely have regular hidings.

I was so desperate for Gunston to get moved at the the end of trade period last season, love the man but it seems we could have sold someone a lemon and netted us a decent pick if we had of. Now it looks as though we're stuck with someone edging closer to 30 with a crook back and very little trade value so we've missed the boat.

“a lemon” seems like a disrespectful way of referring to our premiership champ and PCM!!!

“a lemon” seems like a disrespectful way of referring to our premiership champ and PCM!!!
We could have traded Collingwood for there 2021 first round pick last year. We could be going into this yer with pick 2 and 3.

Have heard again that the Saints are going hard for Sicily. Two first round picks with one of our second rounders going back.

Deal done.
Would set up our rebuild in a big way.

I think chad wants a premiership and i think we could push for a couple of draft picks for him. 1 in 2021 and the other in 2022

We could have traded Collingwood for there 2021 first round pick last year. We could be going into this yer with pick 2 and 3.
About 2 weeks later news came out Gunston was booked in for back surgery, which he'd had issues with for a while I think.

If Magpies were prepared to trade for Gunston they'd soon back pedal if they got wind of his chronic back issue. I am not sure tat trade was ever going to eventuate. Seemed like a trade radio beat up at the time.

You’re in la la land mate, we're currently 17th. I'm just being real. Our list is cooked. We're going to be bottom 4 for the next few years, unless we hit the jackpot repeatedly on 4th and 5th round picks.

I’m just being real

2020 Peter Crimmins Medal – Top 10

Jack GUNSTON – 30 this year

Tom MITCHELL – 28 this year

Chad WINGARD – 28 this year

Ben McEVOY – 32 this year

James SICILY – 26 This Year

Liam SHIELS – 30 this year

James WORPEL – 22 this year

Jaeger O’MEARA – 27 this year

Sam FROST - 28 this year

Luke BREUST – 31 this year
Most teams BnF is dominated by their mature players so no real great surprise there.

I love Sicily but we would have to carefully consider that. Sicily is 27 at the start of next year and it generally takes players at least 1 season to get back to their best after an ACL (and no guarantee they ever do). Assuming he does, he’d be 28 by the start of 2022 and plays the one position we are well stocked for (intercept defender). We won’t get quality draft picks without trading quality so it would need to be considered.

I love Sicily but we would have to carefully consider that. Sicily is 27 at the start of next year and it generally takes players at least 1 season to get back to their best after an ACL (and no guarantee they ever do). Assuming he does, he’d be 28 by the start of 2022 and plays the one position we are well stocked for (intercept defender). We won’t get quality draft picks without trading quality so it would need to be considered.
I couldn’t agree more. We have DGB & CJ who will be elite in that position. Fingers crossed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s your opinion on this scenario?

This is just an example.

We pay a large portion of our traded players salary cap for two years buying their first-round pick. Similar to Bullies and Collingwood last year.

It’s a win / win. We get an early first or a selection of picks and the team gets a player they may not be able to afford.

Example 1: O’Meara to Carlton - We pay 500k per year for 2 years – Hawks receive Pick 6

Example 2: Mitchell to Freo - We pay 500k per year for 2 years – Hawks receive Pick 9

Example 3: Wingard to Essendon - We pay 500k per year for 2 years – Hawks receive Pick 4
  • O’Meara
  • Mitchell
  • Wingard
These are just examples.

With the excess of salary cap we have; we could pull a couple of these deal. Rather than buy a middle range free agent, chasing cash.

What’s your opinion? Could something like this work?
Would you trade pick 4 to Essendon for Shiel if they pay his salary?

This is just an example.

We pay a large portion of our traded players salary cap for two years buying their first-round pick. Similar to Bullies and Collingwood last year.

It’s a win / win. We get an early first or a selection of picks and the team gets a player they may not be able to afford.

Example 1: O’Meara to Carlton - We pay 500k per year for 2 years – Hawks receive Pick 6

Example 2: Mitchell to Freo - We pay 500k per year for 2 years – Hawks receive Pick 9

Example 3: Wingard to Essendon - We pay 500k per year for 2 years – Hawks receive Pick 4
  • O’Meara
  • Mitchell
  • Wingard
These are just examples.

With the excess of salary cap we have; we could pull a couple of these deal. Rather than buy a middle range free agent, chasing cash.

This is just an example.

• O’Meara
  • Mitchell
  • Wingard
These are just examples.

Lots of early picks dont make it just look at Carlton St Kilda and Melbourne over the years

I love Gunners but if we had what looks like will be a top 5 pick for him this season I don't know how else you'd describe it.

Silver lining is what DanielG posted:

About 2 weeks later news came out Gunston was booked in for back surgery, which he'd had issues with for a while I think.

If Magpies were prepared to trade for Gunston they'd soon back pedal if they got wind of his chronic back issue. I am not sure tat trade was ever going to eventuate. Seemed like a trade radio beat up at the time.

Unless Collingwood's medical staff are as good as their list management team, then the deal would have been off anyway.

Thinking about it like that is enough for me to sleep at night anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back