Review Geelong defeats Tiggers by 63 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I thought this was from Fake Footy or one of the other parody accounts, nope it's the 7News Melbourne official blue tick Twitter account who is trolling Richmond fans

At first I thought this was from Fake Footy or one of the other parody accounts, nope it's the 7News Melbourne official blue tick Twitter account who is trolling Richmond fans

Love how they used a photo of Dusty, as he obviously left early on Friday night as well. ;)

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
We're very poorly placed in this years draft - nothing until the late 20's I think i saw on AFL web-site. We'll need some fancy foot-work to move up.

The fact is that if we don't secure some elite young talent very soon we may struggle for a period. Meanwhile let's hope we win the flag this year.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Well obviously they disappearances in 2H can be explained as 3D chess tactics. Play hard 1H, then sit back, and see what Geelong brings so they can prepare for finals.
Dimma, I have a cunning plan....
;)

We're very poorly placed in this years draft - nothing until the late 20's I think i saw on AFL web-site. We'll need some fancy foot-work to move up.

The fact is that if we don't secure some elite young talent very soon we may struggle for a period. Meanwhile let's hope we win the flag this year.
When was the last time we were high up the draft order and used our picks?

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

We have essendons pick which will be low 20’s if they stay bottom 4.

We have 3 second round picks in what should be a strong draft. We really don’t need to piss away capital to trade up. We can get some good players with 3 second rounders.

If you say it enough years in a row, sooner or later it will possibly come true.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Imagine how quickly they will jumps ships once they revert to their normal form ....it’ll make the Hawks fans blush

Nope, can’t agree. Hawks fans are the biggest bandwagoners bar none.
They are all of a similar age, people who grew up in the 80s. They only support them because they were good. Those types don’t hang around during these periods.

Richmond have always had fans. Many would rock up and cop shocking loss after shocking loss time and time again.

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
They are all of a similar age, people who grew up in the 80s. They only support them because they were good. Those types don’t hang around during these periods.

Richmond have always had fans. Many would rock up and cop shocking loss after shocking loss time and time again.
Be interesting to compare crowd sizes for teams like Hawthorn, Collingwood, and Richmond who have known lean and boom times. I might go have a squiz

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah Richmond have always had decent crowds ( for as long as I can remember anyway)
Hawks can really drop off quite badly in low times. They were even close to merging.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Well obviously they disappearances in 2H can be explained as 3D chess tactics. Play hard 1H, then sit back, and see what Geelong brings so they can prepare for finals.
Dimma, I have a cunning plan....
;)
I remember last year I laughed at the Port people saying they were keeping their powder dry for finals.
Turned out they were lol.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah Richmond have always had decent crowds ( for as long as I can remember anyway)
Hawks can really drop off quite badly in low times. They were even close to merging.
You not around in the early nineties and late eighties? Richmond games were ghost towns back then. Go look at the lack of crowd in the 1989 game where Ablett kicks 14 goals. That was anzac Day too. Mcg was deserted.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Imagine how quickly they will jumps ships once they revert to their normal form ....it’ll make the Hawks fans blush

No it won't. Richmond fans turn up a lot more than Hawthorn fans do. Remember many big crowds even when they were ordinary.

They might be nuts, but they're loyal nuts.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
You not around in the early nineties and late eighties? Richmond games were ghost towns back then. Go look at the lack of crowd in the 1989 game where Ablett kicks 14 goals. That was anzac Day too. Mcg was deserted.

Many grounds were though. There were still around 4-5 games going on at the one time then. There were plenty of half-full Geelong games at Kardinia Park in that timeframe.

That particular game wasn't Anzac day either. It was May 27. Although Geelong did play on the Queen's Birthday holiday at the MCG against Essendon a few weeks later. Drew 87,000 from memory.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
No it won't. Richmond fans turn up a lot more than Hawthorn fans do. Remember many big crowds even when they were ordinary.

They might be nuts, but they're loyal nuts.
Lol shows you how rubbish our memories are. I was at that game and i can swear we all did the anzac bugle and minute silence before the game.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Lol shows you how rubbish our memories are. I was at that game and i can swear we all did the anzac bugle and minute silence before the game.

Done the same thing many times.

My favourite is during that 1989 run, we obliterated Brisbane by 129 points (the week after we kicked 35 goals against St.Kilda). At the time I think it was our 2nd biggest win ever. And I know I went. Cannot remember one thing about it - but can remember heaps from the Hawthorn, St.Kilda, Richmond and Collingwood games either side. Weird.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

I dont know about that - they have got a huge following now - but theve won 3 of the last 4 flags - so they should have a huge following

But you back to around 1997 - ( and bear in mind from 67-82 they were a powerhouse and had plenty of success ) so 97 isnt that far after that period - and in 97 they actually used to play some of their home games at Princess Park - so where were their supporters then - where was the Tiger Army then - it didnt exist

In 97 or 98 around that period Richmond ( and it was their home game ) played Geelong at Princess Park - it was i think the 2nd or last game of the year - they had to beat the Cats to get in finals - but Geelong beat them

So where were their supporters back then ?

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I dont know about that - they have got a huge following now - but theve won 3 of the last 4 flags - so they should have a huge following

But you back to around 1997 - ( and bear in mind from 67-82 they were a powerhouse and had plenty of success ) so 97 isnt that far after that period - and in 97 they actually used to play some of their home games at Princess Park - so where were their supporters then - where was the Tiger Army then - it didnt exist

In 97 or 98 around that period Richmond ( and it was their home game ) played Geelong at Princess Park - it was i think the 2nd or last game of the year - they had to beat the Cats to get in finals - but Geelong beat them

If they should have more supporters because they won 3 GFs, then the same should apply to us. Only a small increase really given population gains overall.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually your right. My first game was against Richmond at G. Don't remember much but remember crowd was small and everyone liked a guy called Ablett.
But can remember the 90s and they weren't really successful but usually had biggish loud crowds when we played them.
Also remember a KP game where we won by 1 or 2 points and it felt like they outnumbered us in the outer and were twice as loud.
Got to remember we played Hawks at PP then. And those crowds weren't big.
A half full PP looks better on TV than a small MCG crowd but the MCG crowd is still bigger.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually your right. My first game was against Richmond at G. Don't remember much but remember crowd was small and everyone liked a guy called Ablett.
But can remember the 90s and they weren't really successful but usually had biggish loud crowds when we played them.
Also remember a KP game where we won by 1 or 2 points and it felt like they outnumbered us in the outer and were twice as loud.
A half full PP looks better on TV than a small MCG crowd but the MCG crowd is still bigger.
I agree with your overall point. Richmond fans aren’t bandwagoners. hawthorn fans always have been. They nearly folder in 1996 just 5 years after their 20 years of domination ended.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

You sure????

Speaking of crowds. For anyone who went Friday night what do we think the split was? If there was 54,000 as reported, 50K of them must have been Richmond supporters, and everyone of them had their colours on. Cant remember a game with such a visible split.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back