Preview Rd 9 Carlton v Melbourne, MCG, Sunday May 16, 3.20pm - Team - Post #700

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Touch hyperbolic there mate. Most of us won’t be surprised if we lose this week as our form in the past two weeks is pretty average.
Think we are a sneaky chance as we tend to pull 1 or 2 of these out each season when least expected.

Although your form has been a bit average throughout the past 2 games I suspect you won’t out average us....

If we do cause an upset, get on the Hawks the following week....

Standards have to be set.

Been saying it all season. Players getting a run when they don't deserve it is always going to lead to complacency.

It seems a bit too coincidental that when Teague comes out and specifically states he'd have no problem dropping Betts if his form warrants it, that Betts plays his best consecutive games since coming back... it must have lit a fire under his arse.

If it were up to me this week, Williams would be getting dropped. We have no problem dropping guys like SPS, Dow, Setters etc when they put in those types of performances and no one can say this is a one off with Williams either. We need to set the standard now, he hasn't been good enough and he needs to earn his way into the side. Gonna hit him harder this week too with no reserves game, but we need to show him we're fair dinkum and tbh the way he's been going it's really no loss to drop him anyway.
Agree, could add Cripps to this as well or is that too big of a statement at a very delicate time....

Think we are a sneaky chance as we tend to pull 1 or 2 of these out each season when least expected.

Although your form has been a bit average throughout the past 2 games I suspect you won’t out average us....

If we do cause an upset, get on the Hawks the following week....

We either reverse our form and win comfortably or we don’t get away with another poor start to the game.

As I said his knee problem is preventing him to train, which impacts a few things....

1- Fitness/tank
2- Skill refinement & execution
3- Timing/Leaping
4- Confidence & Decision making
5- Overall performance

Ok, now name the seasons where he hasn't had all of those same issues bar number 3?

He is being asked to play a tough role whilst not being 100% fit and having issues in all the above categories.

Diddum's. He's not doing it for free...

Some players find it easier to play with injuries, particularly when they are more naturally skilled or are not required to crash & bash packs or compete in the ruck against big bodies etc

Should I have listed some big men who have battled through injury? It seems the point is going over here...

We need him to play a role for us this week but the word was he was only retaining a spot until TDK was ready to return then would be rested so he can manage his knee appropriately.

Sorry, not buying that either. We had OMac fit and ready to go in the first few rounds and still opted to play Levi. Even after OMac made a solid impact in his first game, Levi was still selected ahead of him.

Injuries to Silvagni & McGovern over the past couple of weeks may alter that plan for 1 more week at least.

If Silvagni and Gov were fit, he'd still be out there.

Can't keep playing SPS as the sub, MC needs to make the call on whether he's in the 22 or in the reserves for a full game to work on [whatever].

Honey as a straight swap for JSOS could well be worth a look, but would probably prefer TDK so that he and Pitto can tag team Gawn.

Murph for Gibbons is probably the right move at the moment, though Fogarty might benefit from a week off so he'd be a possible out instead.

Conservative option:
TDK for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons

Bold option:
TDK for Casboult
Honey for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons
Honey for Fogarty

Subject to fitness:
Setters or Dow for Williams
Don't worry tag team gawn -- Jackson playing very well and I would say would easily negate pitto in ruck and around the ground .. unless TDK comes in as a relief ruck can't play both --

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would expect carlton to be right in the game regardless in the first half as even in our good games we’ve taken a while to get going. I just saw rain is expected so that’ll even it out a lot should we get enough of it.

Last year you jumped us and we made a big comeback, drew even and ended up losing by a point.

Our trend this year is quite different though.

Last year you jumped us and we made a big comeback, drew even and ended up losing by a point.

Our trend this year is quite different though.

I think I speak for both sides when I say I’d prefer not to speak about that horrific spectacle.

We’ve won the last 5 against Carlton but only one of those has been a blowout, if it rains I think the trend of a smaller margin stays.

I think I speak for both sides when I say I’d prefer not to speak about that horrific spectacle.

We’ve won the last 5 against Carlton but only one of those has been a blowout, if it rains I think the trend of a smaller margin stays.

Carlton's biggest loss over the past 2 seasons is 31 points. We would need to drop our bundle to get blown away.

I don’t think that there’s any romanticizing of Silvagni family name intended , Jack is tenacious hard working footballer, his determination to chase / win the ball is contagious and of course he bleeds Blue.
I’m certain the downward spiral began after he was taken from the field.
Hugely important player to our forwardline Jack is purely because he works so hard at ground level to pressure the opposition as you said .
Sadly we havent seen much of him these past 2 seasons .
Forward pressure is an area we are piss poor at and have been throughout the entire rebuild jack a rare exception .
Have no doubt he was missed when he went off for this alone .

Can't keep playing SPS as the sub, MC needs to make the call on whether he's in the 22 or in the reserves for a full game to work on [whatever].

Honey as a straight swap for JSOS could well be worth a look, but would probably prefer TDK so that he and Pitto can tag team Gawn.

Murph for Gibbons is probably the right move at the moment, though Fogarty might benefit from a week off so he'd be a possible out instead.

Conservative option:
TDK for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons

Bold option:
TDK for Casboult
Honey for JSOS
Murphy for Gibbons
Honey for Fogarty

Subject to fitness:
Setters or Dow for Williams

Did we clone Honey?

Think we can beat Melbourne...if we bring the first three quarters of last week and play it for four...then we can win..IMHO

Yes our best is actually good. But we don't do it for long enough and when the other team is on top we leak far too many goals and it's a consistent theme.

The fact we CAN play good footy that beats the best teams though is a good sign.

Carlton's biggest loss over the past 2 seasons is 31 points. We would need to drop our bundle to get blown away.

That's quite an impressive stat. I'm seeing even top teams have a game here and there where they smashed...like Richmond on the weekend. Port's been thrashed twice already this year.

This group CAN play really good football (as seen by our 27 point lead vs Dogs which could have been more but for a few missed shots at goal) and we don't get blown away...there is resilience there and some facets of a good game plan clearly.

The frustrating thing about this season is not that we're terrible like in previous years, but that we know we can play better than we are or that our lapses in games in costing us too many goals. But I don't think we're far away from things clicking...if we can find a few tweaks to improve those areas you can see the rise coming. Our opponents this week in Melbourne are an example of how things can change from one season to the next.

That's quite an impressive stat. I'm seeing even top teams have a game here and there where they smashed...like Richmond on the weekend. Port's been thrashed twice already this year.

This group CAN play really good football (as seen by our 27 point lead vs Dogs which could have been more but for a few missed shots at goal) and we don't get blown away...there is resilience there and some facets of a good game plan clearly.

The frustrating thing about this season is not that we're terrible like in previous years, but that we know we can play better than we are or that our lapses in games in costing us too many goals. But I don't think we're far away from things clicking...if we can find a few tweaks to improve those areas you can see the rise coming. Our opponents this week in Melbourne are an example of how things can change from one season to the next.

Yes, I think it's only us and Geelong sharing that stat.

They say the first sign of a building side is they stop the thrashings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back