Status
Not open for further replies.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
we are sitting ducks on sunday - in fact I hereby name sunday, sitting duck sunday - we're so reactive to the media, supporters, sponsors & board - this one step forward two back is soul crushing for EVERYONE involved with this club - having said that, the climb has well and truly started so we'll never again be as bad as we were - these tiny steps are cruel but necessary if we want to implement sustainable change - no shortcuts (we've made plenty already) no silly promises, no ultimatums, no timelines, no sackings - I abhor those amongst us who can't see the bigger picture, because there is one believe me, always - but at the risk of repeating myself AGAIN - hang in there you clowns, this ain't no disco, this is CFC..............

Blues by 11.........

You get that like for this though. Might just be your career best post, podium potential at least

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Send an email to Teague.
Have the team watch the replay of it
Why is he playing VFL at all?
He's a top 5 draft pick who was in the top 6 for average disposals last year and abt top 10 the year before.
Thats pretty good numbers for (practically speaking) a first/2nd year player.
he's tall, strong and can take a mark. We need inside mids, why isn't he there?
While we're at it I know many have mentioned it, but SPS also had really good numbers in 2019 before he was switched to defense.
Put him back in the middle and let him play.
A whole game! Every week! Not as a sub!
Setters wasn't recruited to play VFL.

No one is recruited to play VFL and if we were doing that I'd be really concerned.

From 2015 we have, through draft, trades, FA and rookie, brought in 68 players, 31 of those are no longer with the club and worth noting that not one of those 31 were traded, all were effectively busts.

So 37 additions means to me that at any given time at the very least 15 of those are not going to be in our top 22 and Setters, atm, is in that group.

You may complain on his behalf and point to last years form but the bottom line here is that the M/C is not as enamoured of him as you and don't really care where he was drafted. The catch cry here is often that the coach has his favourites (all coaches do incidentally) but I think this is ludicrous. I reckon our coach has enough intelligence to realise that team success is far more important than the selection of favourites. But maybe that's just me.

The other thing I often read here is that we have failed to develop our players but we currently have two rookies in the team, three if you include newbie Parks). Many are calling for Honey to be brought into the team, another rookie.

Why do we think it is that we can develop rookies but not top ten draft picks?

As for Setters being a number 5 draft pick, whatever, we currently have 6 (although injuries give Marchy an out) former top ten picks who were not in our latest 22 and I know many say that we are playing them out of position but when you're trying to fit 43 players into one team one of the greatest attributes a player can have is versatility. Just might be possible that the coaching panel expect this and are trying to build it into our players. Then again our coaches have NFI.

Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton
From Leppa yesterday "they’re really competitive in the air, but if Weitering or Liam Jones don’t mark it and hits the deck, they’re not winning that ground level ball in their back half"

This game may rest with our defence and our ability to shut down players like Kozzie and Fritsch. I'm a little worried!

Weitering and Jones will likely get Brown and McDonald

Who gets Fritsch, Kozzie and Jackson?
Jackson isn’t playing.

Dunna Heartknee

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I can though, if we add TDK to the side, bring in Setterfield, send Williams BHF and mid rotations, send Stocker to on ball, and make Ed an on ball wing rotation or tag if required. I'd liek to see Honey in but that wont happen, Murph V Gibbo or Newnes? - even money bet. Net net we are gaining this week if TDK plays - even if nothing else happens.

The difference between Melbourne us is that have been through a few of years of learning how to win and it is starting top happen now. Who is to say carlton is really years away from this - there isnt that much talent differential in the sides- experience yes talent no - Carlton may actually develop faster - we've got serious talent to come back in to this side - more than any other side with injuries can boast.

I'm optimistic and I think we are getting closer every week to a real break out run starting soon.
My understanding, Cripps injury won't get any worse with him playing (do we have to wait till round 20-1-2) for him to come good.
Why putting team mates under more pressure elevating the chance of getting injured due to work load of covering his man (particularly after half time).
Permeating to players at lower level getting no exposure
This is an elite sport and every player is injured to a degree but when the injury is determent to the team then they have to be rested.

OUT Cripps, Williams, Levi, Jsos.
IN Setterfield, Dow, TDK, Honey

we are sitting ducks on sunday - in fact I hereby name sunday, sitting duck sunday - we're so reactive to the media, supporters, sponsors & board - this one step forward two back is soul crushing for EVERYONE involved with this club - having said that, the climb has well and truly started so we'll never again be as bad as we were - these tiny steps are cruel but necessary if we want to implement sustainable change - no shortcuts (we've made plenty already) no silly promises, no ultimatums, no timelines, no sackings - I abhor those amongst us who can't see the bigger picture, because there is one believe me, always - but at the risk of repeating myself AGAIN - hang in there you clowns, this ain't no disco, this is CFC..............

Blues by 11.........

I have had cause to agree with a few of your posts over the years Thy but this is without doubt the best I've ever seen from you. I can't disagree with any part of it. I don't understand how anybody who has lived through the bad years is unable to see how much better we are now and how close we are to taking that step to becoming a good team. People declaring last week to be our loss last week as the worst they can remember either only started watching footy in the past couple of weeks or have problems with their memories.

After the initial disappointment of losing that game abated there I saw plenty of good signs to take from it. Do we still have issues to address that are frustrating all of us? Of course there are. Are we getting better? Bloody oath we are, we aren't all that far off turning the corner. We've been hanging in there fora while now, just a bit longer to go, its happening.

My understanding, Cripps injury won't get any worse with him playing (do we have to wait till round 20-1-2) for him to come good.
Why putting team mates under more pressure elevating the chance of getting injured due to work load of covering his man (particularly after half time).
This is an elite sport and every player is injured to a degree but when the injury is determent to the team then they have to be rested.

It is nice to be getting closer to not having to keep playing injured players. SOS is obviously out, Levi definitely needs to be rested, Cripps and Williams could probably do with a spell too but somehow I can't see it happening this week. Might be more likely to see a couple of omissions.

Let’s be clear about what Honey is and isn’t. He is not a natural footballer like SOs. He doesn’t really know where the footy is going. Same problem as Cunners. Average awareness. BUT he’s super fast, field kicks are great. Very good hands. He’s erratic at goal on the run. Pretty good set shot. Some times he tackles heaps. He seems to run out games well and repeat sprints are amazing.

Overall I badly want him in the side. I just hope people have the right understanding of what to expect from him.
This is a rather definitive and limiting view.
How are you so sure you are right when talking about a talented young footballer with endless learning and development ahead of him?

Dunna Heartknee

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
This is a rather definitive and limiting view.
How are you so sure you are right when talking about a talented young footballer with endless learning and development ahead of him?
Don't know if he will make it or not but on limited viewing he has got a rare trait,
He can make everyone look like they are running the wrong way when he's got the ball,
Robbie Gray style

Blues by 11.........
How many more media lemmings to jump onboard the defensive flaw train? At least put your own spin on it when you rip off other's ideas. I'm talking to you Jordan Lewis.
Let's hope to see a much improved defensive placement and eyes looking, hands pointing by everyone as they showed last nite on 360.

Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Lever, May, Langdon, Pickett, Salem, Jackson say hi !!!
Nothing to show for 70 years except a blown opportunity to get smashed in the 87 GF and a public humiliation in 2000. Now the Range Rover crew are giving us lip? Wait for the snow to melt before cracking wise, clown.

Last edited:

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Nothing to show for 70 years except a blown opportunity to get smashed in the 87 GF and now the Range Rover crew are giving us lip? Wait for the snow to melt before cracking wise, clown.

But isn't the season finished by then?

Time to turn their attention to the cricket. "Nice shot S. Smith"

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope it rains. I feel like our record in the wet has been really good the last few years.
but was that the dour, "let's make it a scrap" Carlton that couldn't score, rather than the current version that has the Coleman Leader up forward and are clearly better at scoring goals than we are stopping them?

How well a player can or can not cope with ongoing soreness/injury isn't a science. Cripps/Levi/Williams all fall into that category of judgement calls.
It didn't help that in Q1 last week Jones did his best to break Cripp's back and nearly took Docherty out at the same time - deciding to come over the top for yet another late and ineffective attempted spoil. I dare say that wasn't part of Cripp's plan or anyone else's for the day.

I am genuinely scared of what Gawn will do to Pitto if he is not dropped.
Gawn is out of form atm and we have no Jackson this week. The Blues mids will read his taps. All Pitto needs to do is get out the way. Our centre clearance numbers are very down

Well, Cripps can’t play.
Throw Dow and Stocker in the guts and show us what ya got !!
Maybe Setterfield gets one more chance to show whether he wants an AFL career ...

Move Wiliams to HBF and move Stocker to on ball is my call.
Give Setterfield a role on ball and shift Walsh to a wing is my next call.

Problem with Setterfield and Dow is that have shown nothing much in VFL last week. Parsons is our best mid in the VFL team.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Gawn is out of form atm and we have no Jackson this week. The Blues mids will read his taps. All Pitto needs to do is get out the way. Our centre clearance numbers are very down

If you'd seen us play last week you'd know that our mids can't even read our own taps, let alone the opposition's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back