Opinion SA 2021 SOO team

Remove this Banner Ad

I know some of them are overrated *******s and I'm happy to be schooled on state of origin but aren't Dangerfield, Richmond's Tom Lynch and Jeremy Cameron Vics and better than some of your options? See also: Pendlebury, Selwood, Cotchin, Shuey, Gaff, Tom Stewart, Blicavs, Lyons, Treloar, Whitfield, Luke Ryan, ROBBIE GRAY
You would be correct...

We've had a few players drafted high in the last few years but i'd still absolutely advocate taking the burden of junior development off of the SANFL clubs and having a proper TAC cup style junior competition here, maybe with 6-8 teams with no connection to existing teams.

The goal of SANFL clubs is absolutely not to develop talented kids to AFL level, it's to win flags. Totally disagree with private schools doing it as well but that's more of an idealogical opposition to private schools existing at all.

From limited research; 2017 - Reyner, Brayshaw, Dow, Davies-Uniacke, Cerra, Stephenson, Clark, Coffield, Naughton, O'Brien - All Private/College Graduates. 2018 - Walsh, King, Rozee, King, Smith, Thomas, Blakey - All Private/College Graduates. 2019 - Rowell, Anderson, Ash, Stephens, McAsey, Serong, Henry, Green - All Private/College Graduates. 2020 - Ugle-Hagan, Phillips, McDonald, Campbell, Grainger-Barras, Hollands, Perkins, Reid, Pedlar - All Private/College Graduates. 4 years, at a minimum 33/40 top 10 selections Private School kids... Don't believe in coincidence and SA are asleep at the wheel!
None of these kids played in the TAC cup?

Private schools giving scholarships to elite sporting kids to promote their own prestige doesn't make them the great developers of footy talent.

None of these kids played in the TAC cup?

Private schools giving scholarships to elite sporting kids to promote their own prestige doesn't make them the great developers of footy talent.
The fact that the AFL finances the Under 18 comp in Victoria while the SANFL has to finance our own underage comps is the disadvantage that makes the most difference.

The fact that the AFL finances the Under 18 comp in Victoria while the SANFL has to finance our own underage comps is the disadvantage that makes the most difference.
You could even do both

Have an pathway that is half TAC cup style and then put the Sacred hearts, Henleys, PACs in there too

You could even do both

Have an pathway that is half TAC cup style and then put the Sacred hearts, Henleys, PACs in there too
Back in my day Samboy Cup was fantastic and showed you just how crap you were when you played against Kernahan. Hall, McGuiness or Platten. Of course private schools didn't play.

This is the SANFL's fault however. They refuse to come under the AFL umbrella like the rest of the state leagues have so its no wonder the funding doesn't flow through.

This is the SANFL's fault however. They refuse to come under the AFL umbrella like the rest of the state leagues have so its no wonder the funding doesn't flow through.
I'm not pointing the finger. But I would suggest that a lot of stuff that used to be done in school football isn't done anymore due to lack of funds. I saw two ways of clubs promoting football in their zone. The Port way and when my family moved the Woodville way. One way brings success the other doesn't.

I saw two ways of clubs promoting football in their zone. The Port way and when my family moved the Woodville way. One way brings success the other doesn't.
Can you go farther on this?

View attachment 1108006

I’ve no doubt forgotten someone incredible, or not realised Crisp is in fact a quokka of Rottnest Isle, but this gives you an idea.

the bloated corpse of jack ziebell is sticking out on that half back line like dogs bollocks..

the bloated corpse of jack ziebell is sticking out on that half back line like dogs bollocks..

I felt like throwing the North faithful a bone, like the year Fitzroy’s Brad Boyd got a gig.

Can you go farther on this?
So when I lived in Port's zone we had Port players come to our primary school and give a few talks and just generally say hello.
We got invited to training and went into the rooms after players finished training. There was generally a reasonable amount of contact between the club, schools and local clubs. Of the 20-30 kids playing footy at school- 2 played league footy for Port and played premierships.
When I lived in Woodville's zone once per year some officials turned up to the Grand Final and were hammered by about 11am. So if you didn't play on Grand Final day nobody saw you and if you did you would have had to put on a big show. Woodville's Under 17 and 19's were being beaten by 20 goals on a regular basis so nobody really wanted to play there anyway. Of my 3 mates who ended up playing league footy none played for Woodville even though we lived in their zone.

Last edited:
So when I lived in Port's zone we had Port players come to our primary school and give a few talks and just generally say hello.
We got invited to training and went into the rooms after players finished training. There was generally a reasonable amount of contact between the club, schools and local clubs. Of the 20-30 kids playing footy at school- 2 played league footy for Port and played premierships.
When I lived in Woodville's zone once per year some officials turned up to the Grand Final and were hammered by about 11am. So if you didn't play on Grand Final day nobody saw you and if you did you would have had to put on a big show. Woodville's Under 17 and 19's were being beaten by 20 goals on a regular basis so nobody really wanted to play there anyway. Of my 3 mates who ended up playing league footy none played for Woodville even though we lived in their zone.
The Woodville zone couldn't have been that big though either. Squeezing a new club into the inner NW suburbs, between Port, North, Torrens with West not far away, was perhaps the most short sighted decision the SANFL made (until about 25-30 years later). All clubs with long established supporter bases, some level of recent success (even Torrens 1953) and kids wanting to play for them no matter what. They got Centrals right, but surely go to the south or east of Glenelg, or even a hills/country location...but I digress

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Woodville zone couldn't have been that big though either. Squeezing a new club into the inner NW suburbs, between Port, North, Torrens with West not far away, was perhaps the most short sighted decision the SANFL made (until about 25-30 years later). All clubs with long established supporter bases, some level of recent success (even Torrens 1953) and kids wanting to play for them no matter what. They got Centrals right, but surely go to the south or east of Glenelg, or even a hills/country location...but I digress

Woodville’s entry was purely to serve as a thumb on the scale against Port’s dominance, wasn’t it?

And it kinda worked. Imagine Malcolm Blight coming up at Alberton? Good lord.

Woodville’s entry was purely to serve as a thumb on the scale against Port’s dominance, wasn’t it?

And it kinda worked. Imagine Malcolm Blight coming up at Alberton? Good lord.
The reason that Port ended up with parts of Salisbury, Pooraka and surrounds was because Woodville's zone had taken in parts of Port's old zone and as the area gentrified there were less youngsters in the area to feed the 2 teams. On the subject there is also a massive difference in the number of players that Port got from the Eyre Peninsula compared to the number Woodville got from the Yorke Peninsula. I can think of 3 players from the 70's who were from Yorke Peninsula who didn't play for Woodville. Rick Davies (Port Victoria), Bronte Mumford (Minlaton) and Tony Giles (Yorketown).

Anyway the moral of the story is don't feel sorry for Woodville there was a reason why they were down the bottom. And next we could move onto South heard a few stories about them over the years.

The reason that Port ended up with parts of Salisbury, Pooraka and surrounds was because Woodville's zone had taken in parts of Port's old zone and as the area gentrified there were less youngsters in the area to feed the 2 teams. On the subject there is also a massive difference in the number of players that Port got from the Eyre Peninsula compared to the number Woodville got from the Yorke Peninsula. I can think of 3 players from the 70's who were from Yorke Peninsula who didn't play for Woodville. Rick Davies (Port Victoria), Bronte Mumford (Minlaton) and Tony Giles (Yorketown).
Woodville is gentrified?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyway the moral of the story is don't feel sorry for Woodville there was a reason why they were down the bottom. And next we could move onto South heard a few stories about them over the years.

Hey, despite being a raging dumpster fire for the entirety of their history, they still parlayed their meagre existence into merging with West Torrens as senior partner, and creating something of a powerhouse/footy factory.

Hey, despite being a raging dumpster fire for the entirety of their history, they still parlayed their meagre existence into merging with West Torrens as senior partner, and creating something of a powerhouse/footy factory.
Yeah well even Footscray and South Melbourne managed to win a premiership eventually - there is hope South.

Yeah well even Footscray and South Melbourne managed to win a premiership eventually - there is hope South.

South should’ve been Noarlunga’s Centrals.

Made the leap way too late, and allowed Glenelg to eat the crotch out of that entire area.

C030549E-E788-41F0-B18D-F6148CB7C9D0.jpeg
17061117-72A7-4CD8-A2BB-E53039819AC7.jpeg

Fen Karma Medal (South Australian 190+cm only) after Round 8

7 — THILTHORPE, Riley (Adel/West)
7 — O’BRIEN, Tim (Haw/Glenelg)
5 — FOGARTY, Darcy (Adel/Glenelg)
4 — GRUNDY, Brodie (Coll/Sturt)
4 — BURGESS, Chris (GC/West)
3 — LYCETT, Scott (PA/PA)
3 — STANLEY, Rhys (Geel/West)
2 — LUKOSIUS, Jack (GC/WWT)
2 — LADHAMS, Pete (PA/Norwood)
1 — SWEET, Jordon (WB/North)
1 — DAY, Sam (GC/Sturt)
1 — DRAPER, Sam (Ess/South)

Now its getting mid-season I'll have a shot at a 2021 SA State Of Origin Team

F Pickett Thilthorpe Hayward
HF Wingard O'Brien Rozee
C Redden Edwards Lukosius
HB Williams Ballard Hurn
B Daniel Davis Jonas

RUCK Grundy Laird Neale

INT Stanley, Rankine, Smith, Fantasia

Let me know if I've missed any guys who are from SA and should be in there.

But looking at that I think the team is getting stronger although our key positions could have some more quality and not much depth.

Let me know if I've missed any guys who are from SA and should be in there.

Jordan Dawson (Syd/Sturt)
John Noble (Coll/West)
Ryan Burton (PA/North)
Oleg Markov (GC/North)
Tom Powell (NM/Sturt)
Jack Graham (Rich/North)
Zac Bailey (BL/Norwood)
Will Snelling (Ess/West)
Callum Wilkie (StK/North)

On form this lot would be in the mix, with only Dawson a lock for a place on the field over any number of those named.

Jordan Dawson (Syd/Sturt)
John Noble (Coll/West)
Ryan Burton (PA/North)
Oleg Markov (GC/North)
Tom Powell (NM/Sturt)
Jack Graham (Rich/North)
Zac Bailey (BL/Norwood)
Will Snelling (Ess/West)
Callum Wilkie (StK/North)

On form this lot would be in the mix, with only Dawson a lock for a place on the field over any number of those named.
Thanks Tribey - I did consider all of those named and it was a Jonas vs Dawson vs Burton.

I even considered Gibbs but no room for a free wheeling half back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back