List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

In the 2021 MSD, Carlton should select...

• Charlie McKay (F/S)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dominic Akuei (NGA)

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Best available mature age player

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • Best available U19 (overlooked in last year's draft)

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Casboult, but without elite marking. And slower.

Hmmmm....don't need to think about that for very long....
My impression as well.

People need to realize, at VFL level Cas would go beyond domination. He'd kick 30+ goals a season as a ruckman, or 50+ as a KPF, or captain a team as a KPD. He's bigger, stronger, fitter and more agile than most his size and height.

Wooller is one to monitor, but I don't see him possessing AFL attributes.

While Stengle is free to find a new AFL home next month, some clubs are keen to see how he performs over the length of a full season.

Should he be recruited to move to Melbourne, Stengle would likely link up with former Crows teammate and Carlton veteran Eddie Betts who remains a close mentor. Betts and Stengle also shared time together late last year.

While Stengle is free to find a new AFL home next month, some clubs are keen to see how he performs over the length of a full season.

Should he be recruited to move to Melbourne, Stengle would likely link up with former Crows teammate and Carlton veteran Eddie Betts who remains a close mentor. Betts and Stengle also shared time together late last year.

Would be cheap, question becomes is he worth another chance?

I've not watched enough of him playing.

I honestly don't see why we should pick him up. I get the connection with Betts, but it just takes up a list spot which we could use elsewhere. I think Owies, Durdin, Philp, Honey, Fisher, Fog and Cunners are enough young small-mid forwards to develop.

I honestly don't see why we should pick him up. I get the connection with Betts, but it just takes up a list spot which we could use elsewhere. I think Owies, Durdin, Philp, Honey, Fisher, Fog and Cunners are enough young small-mid forwards to develop.

Every player deserves a 2nd chance.

Stengle is at least up to his 4th by now.

Hard pass.

If his the guy the club want, then I'd back their judgement in..

Drug issues aside...
From memory, he wasn't actually that good, was he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would any harm come out of picking him and putting him on a 6 month trial? VFL only and if you stay out of trouble, you will get an extension.
I think there's an element of permissiveness to Richmond's current status quo; they've talked about honesty, and working together and being who they are, the freedom to express themselves etc, but so too has there been incidents concerning not indiscipline from a footy context but a societal one. They viciously protect their own from their societal responsibilities, using their reach to intervene and set the narrative.

One imagines going from a hyper-discipline context in Pyke's Adelaide to an ultra-permissive Richmond could lead to something like this. Richmond's culture is about bringing out one's personality and contributing on that basis; the question becomes could we actually bring him in and seek to curb that a bit?

I don't know, I suppose, is my answer. But it would be a risk.

Last edited:
Take McKay as a F/S in the normal draft unless he is best available.

Take the best available player at our pick. If they fill a hole that's a bonus, if they upgrade on a player who plays seniors regularly that's a bonus as well.

Don't worry so much about recruiting for this season, this season is not our season.

I just had a thought (first time for everything) and I'm thinking some clubs may have hidden a few draft targets in their local leagues. I think there'll be a number of players drafted that just aren't being talked about.
Nothing more certain. While he may have dropped off the radar or gone down another path, Henry Walsh playing local footy, but on Geelong Falcon’s roster “to join at a later date”. Giving two other prospects some time to shine supposedly. Sounds classic Cats move, their quota coming direct from local footy off the charts.

There are more seemingly good ruck prospects than I could count on one hand (without Walsh). Unless we opt to get ahead of the curve taking Charlie McKay if we believe he would end up in the first couple of rounds next year, or perhaps an obscure KPP hiding somewhere, surely we take a project ruck.

Levi’s rapid decline, knee and form makes his tenure very shaky. We would surely be in the market for two developing or back up rucks to support TDK and Pitto.

Nothing more certain. While he may have dropped off the radar or gone down another path, Henry Walsh playing local footy, but on Geelong Falcon’s roster “to join at a later date”. Giving two other prospects some time to shine supposedly. Sounds classic Cats move, their quota coming direct from local footy off the charts.

With 5 rucks on their list already, including Shannon Neale who they picked in the most recent national draft, I'd be stunned if the Cats were even considering Walsh.

With 5 rucks on their list already, including Shannon Neale who they picked in the most recent national draft, I'd be stunned if the Cats were even considering Walsh.
Not the right thread, but to make such a statement, you must look at their talls. They have more than 5 possibles, but......
Hawkins almost 33, partnered by Cameron (28) up forward. Ratugolea forward/ruck when he can get up.
Pretty much guarantee Jenkins and Fort will be gone at season’s end.
You mention Neale as a ruck. He played predominately forward in the WA colts with short stints in the ruck. View him as the Hawkins replacement, not a first string ruck. Ratugolea, when he can get on the park has been talked of as a ruck, but only 198cm. More forward than ruck.

Stanley 31 by season’s end is still bouncing in and out of the side despite being their no. 1 ruck. No long term guarantee and they have young rookie speculative Tsapatolis in his first season.

Down back Henderson pushing 32 is partnered by 30 yo Blicavs who doubles as ruck, wing and whatever. Mature draftee Krueger not yet given a game is a swing man. Throw in under sized jet Stewart and workmanlike 3rd tall Kolodjashnij and the balance is thin.

The current great white hope is SDK, De Koning the younger who has played forward, ruck and defence.

So for your assertions, they do not have a bankable first ruck beyond this season.
If Neale more forward, and I think he is, similarly Ratugolea, and SDK is likely a defender to succeed Hendo and/or Blicavs.

So Stanley who can’t cement at first ruck after many years, Fort who can’t get a game at 28, Jenkins the Hawkins insurance out of contract and rookie Tsapatolis and pinch hitters is their ruck division with no room for additions.

Think again.

I have no idea if Henry is on their radar, but your statement is just wrong.

Back