Preview Round 9, 2021: Hawks v Roos, 2:10pm 15th May @ UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone with a back injury for that period of time and still having significant issues is not good. Hope he can recover for his own health as well!

Not sure what Tom Hawkins back injury was for but his rehab has worked well, might need some outside opinions?

Wouldn't shock me if it's a Birchall type situation with Gunston, so durable until about 29 then barely plays for a 3 year period or so after getting a major surgery. Back Surgery in Gunston's case is never any good for anyone, let alone a pro sportsman nearing 30 at the elite level.

Wouldn't shock me if it's a Birchall type situation with Gunston, so durable until about 29 then barely plays for a 3 year period or so after getting a major surgery. Back Surgery in Gunston's case is never any good for anyone, let alone a pro sportsman nearing 30 at the elite level.
So, he's going to move to another club who get him right, then play pretty much every game after that?

The news on Gunners is a body blow short term. But the right thing to do rest him up and get it under control bring him back after the bye. He will be back like Hawkins it takes time with the back i remember it use to flare up all the time for him before he got it all under control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Jaeger plays (which sounds like he will), he normally plays a blinder when he comes back in (see Richmond last year)

Maybe, it would be a nice end to Gunston's career should that eventuate in 2024 at a contender.
Guys played in 3 flags and a decent chunk of finals .
Its not like he has gone a whole career without success .

Hopefully he is a one club player , getting sick of seeing of premiership heroes finishing in a different guernsey

As sad as it is to see Gunston is still injured, if we can't get more than 35 inside 50s his inclusion means very little.

That's not where we need help.
If its a 6-8 weeker I wouldnt be against putting him in cotton wool for 2021.

Backs can go from a few months quickly into an 18-24 month injury.

Just not worth it for where we are at .

Always plays well against McEvoy. Now factor in McEvoy falling off the cliff...

At least Ceglar won't be his opponent and giving up 5-6 frees against him like our game vs Norf last year.

The pesimist in me says that this feels a bit like the Adelaide game last year. North are building a little. They've been competitive but inconsistent in their last 2 games and will smell blood knowing they won't have many better chances of winning. We've been rocked in recent weeks. The Saints game was a total collapse. West Coast was a snap back in effort but for no period of reward like we had in our first 6 games.

But logically they are rocked by injuries, have won 2 fewer games with a % barely above 50 and we are a different side with Jaeger.

If Jeka gets a run again while TOB plays back or at Box Hill, you will have difinitive confirmation that the club is willing to go hard on the rebuild if younger players give them any confidence they might be valuable. It would kill any illusions about favouritism or limiting damage with the selections of Howe, Shiels, TOB etc. They've played Kosi through a really tough, low production patch to see some sprouts. Is it Jeka's turn? We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back