List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some reports suggest our salary cap remains tight (let that sink in for a minute) though we may some flexibility.

Really though unless the opportunity is to good to refuse and by that I mean the player is a genuine A grader and the opposition club is prepared to accept free agency compensation as trade I don't feel it's wise to stretch our salary cap capacity so soon or use any 2022 draft selections as currency after the off season we have just had.

The reality is paying a premium for a single player is highly unlikely to see us surge back up the ladder in the short term and with players like Moore and de Goey coming off contract at the end next season keeping some flexibility in our ability to meet their wage demands or match opposition offers and potentially force a better trade deal than free agency compensation would provide is desirable IMO.

Getting games and development into the kids secured across the last few drafts, obtaining N.Daicos at the end of this year and maximising our draft intake as much as possible for the next couple of years is probably the way forward and only when the time is right do we look to secure established talent.

I wouldn't be sleeping on Dib either - shaping up to be a very handy player based on his play so far this season, if we can get him outside of the top 20 picks.

Any list rebuild should be undertaken over the next 2 to 3 years. Therefore, on the current list, I see the following as imperatives:

1. Crumbing forward: ideally we’d have 2, however at a minimum we need a high-pressure crumbing forward capable of kicking 30+ goals a season. Think Eddie Betts, Robbie Gray, Cyril Rioli, Charlie Cameron.

2. Key forward: a player who is capable of playing deep one-on-one, but can also take their man up the ground. Think Aaron Naughton, Jack Riewoldt, Tom Lynch. Potential prospects include Max and Ben King, Harry McKay, Sam Weideman (not yet proven, but has potential). I’d also like to see us make enquires of someone like Matt Taberner, Oscar Allen and one of Hamish Marshall or Georgiades at Port.

3. Accumulator: a player who might not have speed, but is capable of getting around the ground and accumulating the ball on a regular basis. Think Tom Mitchell, Clayton Oliver, Zac Merrett, David Mundy. Ideally would be a big-bodied mid. I’d like to see us make a play for Matt Crouch as he seems like a solid, no-nonsense mid who is maybe cheaper than some other free agents currently on the market Such as Merrett. Internally, Sier should be given as much opportunity as possible for the remainder of the season to cement this spot.

4. Quarterback: a player who is able to control the play from our back half, much like Caleb Daniel does for the Dogs. Think players like Daniel, Salem, Hurn, Houli. IQ may be the person who can fulfil this role for us and potentially Maynard, although his short kicking and decision-making is suspect. Outside of the club, potential prospects are thin on the ground as many of these players are already established. One that stands out is Lukosius, however he’s unlikely within our grasp as Gold Coast will look to keep hold of him for as long as possible and are unlikely to want to deal (if we had anything to offer).

5. Utility: a player who is capable of performing the role Thomas and WHE performed for us in 2018. Has a bit of class, agility and some pace and is damaging whenever he gets the ball on the outside. This may be Poulter in a few years’ time, playing as a rangy winger.

Some of these positions may be filled by internal growth within the club, as well as via the draft. This however shouldn’t prevent the club from continually exploring its external options, with a view to either filling those spots above which I think are vital to progression, or building depth.

Lastly, the club should not be afraid to push hard for FAs in order to increase their market value, irrespective of our chances of landing them. We have the biggest profile in the competition, and are constantly brought up in articles and discussion in order to inflate a player’s price. Accordingly, we should be encouraging interest in high-profile FAs such as McKay, Bontempelli, Cripps et al in order to raise the cost of the price their clubs (or any destination clubs) are required to pay for them. A nice recent example is Petracca - fantastic player, however Melbourne have signed him to a 7 year deal, repeating the error we made in signing Grundy to a similarly-termed deal.

Getting key forwards is a waste of money or picks...if we don’t fix our midfield first.
we've just recruited 5 midfielders in the past two drafts... with another 1 / 2 to come at the end of this year.

For the long term, we need to get our quality KP stocks up as well. Ball bunces out of our forward line way too easily, and players like JDG & Mihcoek are often left to play on the best FB's

we've just recruited 5 midfielders in the past two drafts... with another 1 / 2 to come at the end of this year.

For the long term, we need to get our quality KP stocks up as well. Ball bunces out of our forward line way too easily, and players like JDG & Mihcoek are often left to play on the best FB's
This is true...

I'm starting to think that Riccardi is the one we should be going hard for as a (hopefully) relatively cheap acquisition - Leon is messing around with playing him as a defender now and he's not getting a game, which I think most pundits would have reasonably been expecting with the departure of Cameron, and still looks to be the third or fourth banana in the Giants forward line at the moment.

The question would be whether he wants to come to Collingwood. Could he still walk to us via the PSD if he chose to, even if we don't quite maintain our current bottom end ladder position?

I'm starting to think that Riccardi is the one we should be going hard for as a (hopefully) relatively cheap acquisition - Leon is messing around with playing him as a defender now and he's not getting a game, which I think most pundits would have reasonably been expecting with the departure of Cameron, and still looks to be the third or fourth banana in the Giants forward line at the moment.

The question would be whether he wants to come to Collingwood. Could he still walk to us via the PSD if he chose to, even if we don't quite maintain our current bottom end ladder position?

Could come thru PSD but teams would have Picks before us

Could come thru PSD but teams would have Picks before us

Only North at this stage - it would be a question of whether other clubs potentially down in the bottom 6 range would want to recruit him even if he nominated us as his desired destination.

p.s. My apologies Dave as the post you quoted was more of a rhetorical question (ie. one that doesn't have an answer right now).

Besides his first couple of games, when he had all the other tall timber around him, he hasn't really done much. We would have to get him really cheap because I'm not sure that he will turn out that good

Besides his first couple of games, when he had all the other tall timber around him, he hasn't really done much. We would have to get him really cheap because I'm not sure that he will turn out that good

I did put some emphasis on him coming relatively cheap, perhaps even walk to us via the PSD. He played well in a half back role last up in the VFL (40 touches / 19 marks) so I'm thinking he's not in the Cam McCarthy category. Might do well as the #1 banana in our forward line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did put some emphasis on him coming relatively cheap, perhaps even walk to us via the PSD. He played well in a half back role last up in the VFL (40 touches / 19 marks) so I'm thinking he's not in the Cam McCarthy category. Might do well as the #1 banana in our forward line?

Do we have any insights into why he's been moved into defence? Team balance? Skill development? Seen as being better suited to it?

A Herald Sun headline - As Richmond’s midfield depth is tested by a spare of injuries, a young tall remains starved of opportunity — and rivals are circling. Who would this be?
Balta? I dunno... who even watches Richmond games? Richmond fans sure don’t...

A Herald Sun headline - As Richmond’s midfield depth is tested by a spare of injuries, a young tall remains starved of opportunity — and rivals are circling. Who would this be?
Coleman-Jones has rival clubs keen, with GWS a constant suitor after twice attempting to prize him out of Punt Road.

Do we have any insights into why he's been moved into defence? Team balance? Skill development? Seen as being better suited to it?

At a guess it would be a combination of the numerous injuries they've had in the tall defender department (Davis, Haynes, Keeffe, Stein all out leaving Sam Taylor as basically the last man standing as a tall defender) and also still having a bevy of riches in the tall forward department with Himmelberg, Finlayson, Hogan and now even Briggs likely to spend a bit of time up forward.

Pies preparing to prise Ben King next year, but have already asked the question of Sam Weideman as well.

On the cap, The Pies have space, next year will have even more space. They will have another crack at Merrett again as well this year.
Now that hits me in the gooey spot, we've been sold this as the reason for the cleanout, we know it wasn't the primary reason but it all looks a little sweeter if we bring in some exciting young quality in the gun position and a quality mid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back