Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 9 vs. Sydney Swans, SCG Sat 15/05 @ 1:45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

blair could actually kick the ball more than 35metres and didn’t turn into a headless chook when he had possession.

Yeah 40 metres... That said he was a better and more productive player on both sides of the ball than Brown. Both of them are poor by AFL standards it’s just that Blair, for all his faults, was a little less poor than Brown!

You know someone has lost the argument when they say this.
No man, you lost the argument when you pick on a kid playing for Collingwood. So brave from behind your keys.

Game thread is up. If anyone knows how I can centre the logo I would love some advice. Alignment does not work and the logo is centred on the 'edit' page.

Fixed it for you, I think. :)

Yep. Hes best 22 give the team that has some key injuries. Gives his all and wont die from lack of effort. We have selected enough (maybe too many) first year players already and just need the depth to balnace the side without throwing the kids to the wolves any more than they are. Toss up between him and Madgen... and with Sier the only other "senior"player available theres not a lot of other options. And Sier might be injured too for all we know.

Medium term I still havent given up on him either

Same here. I like Cal, I think he works damn hard on field and whilst his disposal isn't his best attribute, I think he can still contribute. I do wonder what his best position is though and would love to see him in the guts a bit more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same here. I like Cal, I think he works damn hard on field and whilst his disposal isn't his best attribute, I think he can still contribute. I do wonder what his best position is though and would love to see him in the guts a bit more.
Nobody questions his work ethic. But AFL is a ruthless game, and if a team wants to become a contender you can’t have weaknesses. Brown works hard, but he doesn’t have the tools to be an effective AFL player. People take criticism of him personally because he’s the son of Gavin. He has far to many weaknesses, would he get a game in the top teams line ups? No. He’s 5 years in. There’s no more development. His skills are what they are.

Nobody questions his work ethic. But AFL is a ruthless game, and if a team wants to become a contender you can’t have weaknesses. Brown works hard, but he doesn’t have the tools to be an effective AFL player. People take criticism of him personally because he’s the son of Gavin. He has far to many weaknesses, would he get a game in the top teams line ups? No. He’s 5 years in. There’s no more development. His skills are what they are.
The KEY words are . . . He's 5 years in.

Regardless of best 22 rating he has experience and a mature body.

We require that at present.

When he's in and out every other week, that's going to hurt his consistency. The injury's sub compounds this.

He'd not a world beater, dont get me wrong but he's good enough to be in our 8-14 best players each week. Just give him the space to do so.

What's better, JT and WHE being in that bracket, as they are edging closer to the end of their career, or giving Brown the opportunity?
In and out every week?....
In 2019, he played 21 of his 22 games in a row

In 2020, he played 13 games of 14 (of 17 games in a shortened season) in a row

In 2021, he has played or been the sub 7 out of 8 games.

He can hardly be termed being in and out of the team.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Makes you wonder why they bothered retaining Sier in favour of the less talented Wills last year if they dont ever select him.

It will be interesting to see if Sier lines up in the seconds today or if he has suffered an injury niggle...because thats the only legitimate reason for him to not be playing.

Makes you wonder why they bothered retaining Sier in favour of the less talented Wills last year if they dont ever select him.

It will be interesting to see if Sier lines up in the seconds today or if he has suffered an injury niggle...because thats the only legitimate reason for him to not be playing.
I think Sier is being retained so he can be tortured mentally by Bucks like that drummer kid in the movie by his music teacher.

The time is now for Cal. Bucks spoke in his presser about the struggle a player such as Macrae feels when he comes up to AFL level and doesn’t get to play midfield time like he gets to at VFL level. He’s therefore getting 50/50 mid and forward time to prepare him for the step up.

If Cal doesn’t take his chance now, and he hasn’t taken it so far, then players like Macrae will go past him pretty quickly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The time is now for Cal. Bucks spoke in his presser about the struggle a player such as Macrae feels when he comes up to AFL level and doesn’t get to play midfield time like he gets to at VFL level. He’s therefore getting 50/50 mid and forward time to prepare him for the step up.

If Cal doesn’t take his chance now, and he hasn’t taken it so far, then players like Macrae will go past him pretty quickly.

I have adopted a policy for a number of years - 'No more short people', and 90% of the time it's correct. It makes sense. Small guys look better in the underage competition, but struggle against the big blokes at AFL level. I'd be doing what is done on amusement rides. Adopt a measuring system and don't let anyone in under a certain height, even if it divides families, and makes the littlest, left-behind kid an easy prey for paedophiles. Sure, you might miss a Caleb Daniel, but also avoid a host of vertically challenged people who will clog the list for years, maybe even get an overly-lucrative, long term contract despite their obvious deficiencies.

These people don't have those 'attributes' I have been told about in other threads that give them immunity to criticism or analysis? Serious question.

I have adopted a policy for a number of years - 'No more short people', and 90% of the time it's correct. It makes sense. Small guys look better in the underage competition, but struggle against the big blokes at AFL level. I'd be doing what is done on amusement rides. Adopt a measuring system and don't let anyone in under a certain height, even if it divides families, and makes the littlest, left-behind kid an easy prey for paedophiles. Sure, you might miss a Caleb Daniel, but also avoid a host of vertically challenged people who will clog the list for years, maybe even get an overly-lucrative, long term contract despite their obvious deficiencies.

These people don't have those 'attributes' I have been told about in other threads that give them immunity to criticism or analysis? Serious question.

Is this just related to football or a life rule?

On the whole I think you’re right. The smaller guys pretty much have to have no weakness for mine and probably above anything elite pace. Pretty much need to be so good you forget their height. As an example Kozzie Pickett is shorter than Cal but it doesn’t matter.

Once you get outside of the top 20 I reckon it’s a sound policy though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back