Preview Round 9, 2021: Hawks v Roos, 2:10pm 15th May @ UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, of those 8 inside 50's by the forwards, Jeka did have the other 3 outside of Breust's 5. TOB's season-high is 3 i50's.

I personally think we should stick with Jeka and let him figure things out in the AFL, especially against weaker competition.

It's not gifting games, he earned a block of AFL games after a good run of form in the VFL.
It does absolutely nothing for the side to have jeka sit there working it out while his opponent takes intercept marks. Who do you think benefits from tob in the side? Just tob or maybe it is also Lewis, Kosi, Moore and Ollie? Ollie and Moore can’t get crumbs off of intercept marks. Why is this a hard concept to grasp? It is about the greater benefit to the squad, not one player 🤦‍♂️

I think Ollie and Moore are still ahead of him. Sometimes selection is as much about a players own psychology and motivation and what’s most likely to push them further to grab that spot, or work on a particular thing. Brockman is not going anywhere. He will get his chance.
I don’t agree with the first bit, at least not with Ollie (Moore’s endurance makes him a different type of player). Brockman is more skilful, more damaging, applies more pressure and is more dangerous around goals than Hanrahan.

Agree that there are other factors in selection that we don’t know. But if we don’t know it, we can’t really assume anything. On everything I’ve seen, not picking Brockman in this very weak side doesn’t make a lot of sense. I am not one of those who thinks every player under 20 should be getting senior games (I think Finn and Downie are miles off). But Brockman should be playing seniors.

No, your straw man is that because I look for reason and logic behind the decisions the club makes to play more experienced players in roles that youngsters can’t nail consistently, and don’t melt about match committee decisions, I don’t see any faults.

Win, lose or draw the club needs to select players who meet the values and demands put on them. Jeka didn’t meet them for 2 weeks running so he was omitted. He’ll get his chance again.

So....with Jeka clearly not taking his chance, who would you play instead of O’Brien in the tall forward role Jeka was in? Brooksby?

so what you are saying is a kid is marked 20 times harder than someone like Liam Shiels who has been terrible and should be dropped?

so what you are saying is a kid is marked 20 times harder than someone like Liam Shiels who has been terrible and should be dropped?
If Finn came in and played at the level Shiels typically has this year, he'd be glued to the centre square and wing. Kosi's selection shows we're willing to give leeway.

If Finn came in and played at the level Shiels typically has this year, he'd be glued to the centre square and wing. Kosi's selection shows we're willing to give leeway.

Shiels is no tagger if that is what you are suggesting with the comparison to Finn.

Jeka is unlucky. He'd be playing and Lewis would be dropped if Lewis hadn't made amends for that mistake of leading to the ball carrier and marking on a lead inside F50. Fortunately when 4m out from goal, he followed the coaches instructions and kicked to the top of the square, canceling out that lead mistake he made earlier.

If Jeka was allowed to lead, he'd be a lot more effective as a forward. Probably better suited at VFL level where Mitchell lets him lead and score goals.
Hard for midfielders to find him when he's sitting at the top of the square amongst a bevy of opposition defenders also sitting there waiting for the predictable high kick along with Lewis and Kozzie.
TOB will make no difference except for EXPERIENCE which will amount for nothing because despite being the front man, the best he'll do is half a contest because of the stiff breeze that will be blowing in Launy will cause him to lose balance in the air, crash into his teammates and drop the mark and leave himself, Lewis and Kozzie on the ground and out of the ground contest. Meanwhile the small forwards will offer very little once the ball hits the ground because they'll be outnumbered and be faced with the impossible take of trying to read the ball off the hands of an unbalanced teammate crashing into his teammates.

This tactic will work its usual once for the game, or <5% of the times we stick it there. Ignore the I50 stat and focus on the quality of the entries and where the forwards run to, or more importantly DON'T run to. You think a forward with as much EXPERIENCE as TOB has would lead into the acres of space that opposition sides leave 40m out from goal.

But it's EXPERIENCE that matters.

Jeka is unlucky. He'd be playing and Lewis would be dropped if Lewis hadn't made amends for that mistake of leading to the ball carrier and marking on a lead inside F50. Fortunately when 4m out from goal, he followed the coaches instructions and kicked to the top of the square, canceling out that lead mistake he made earlier.

If Jeka was allowed to lead, he'd be a lot more effective as a forward. Probably better suited at VFL level where Mitchell lets him lead and score goals.
Hard for midfielders to find him when he's sitting at the top of the square amongst a bevy of opposition defenders also sitting there waiting for the predictable high kick along with Lewis and Kozzie.
TOB will make no difference except for EXPERIENCE which will amount for nothing because despite being the front man, the best he'll do is half a contest because of the stiff breeze that will be blowing in Launy will cause him to lose balance in the air, crash into his teammates and drop the mark and leave himself, Lewis and Kozzie on the ground and out of the ground contest. Meanwhile the small forwards will offer very little once the ball hits the ground because they'll be outnumbered and be faced with the impossible take of trying to read the ball off the hands of an unbalanced teammate crashing into his teammates.

This tactic will work its usual once for the game, or <5% of the times we stick it there. Ignore the I50 stat and focus on the quality of the entries and where the forwards run to, or more importantly DON'T run to. You think a forward with as much EXPERIENCE as TOB has would lead into the acres of space that opposition sides leave 40m out from goal.

But it's EXPERIENCE that matters.

good post. Some nice humour thrown in with some facts. Well done 👍

Playing Jeka and Brockman against opposition that should allow them to contribute and build confidence at the level would be a no brainer I would have thought.

Brockman showed plenty against the Roos in the pre season.

We know TOB and Ollie are not going to take us to the next level. We need to be finding out who might be able to lift our club out of it's current position.

You can understand the coaches playing to win and save the club the embarrassment but the kids won't get a better chance to show what they can do than this week.

If they have that intangible match winning instinct that good players have, this is the game it could come to the for.

I get what most of you are trying to do, play the likelihood of a win down to hedge your bets. It means you can either be happily wrong or sadly right come Monday. However, we should win this one, relatively easy all things considered. They are worse than us with their best team available, they don’t have that. They are playing us in Launceston where we don’t lose much.

i get why you do the whole glass half empty on this game, it’s easier to be a coward and be wrong and then say you’re presently surprised.

I get what most of you are trying to do, play the likelihood of a win down to hedge your bets. It means you can either be happily wrong or sadly right come Monday. However, we should win this one, relatively easy all things considered. They are worse than us with their best team available, they don’t have that. They are playing us in Launceston where we don’t lose much.

i get why you do the whole glass half empty on this game, it’s easier to be a coward and be wrong and then say you’re presently surprised.
We should win this 100%.

In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter or mean anything but we shouldn't be losing to an injury riddled bottom side.

Playing Jeka and Brockman against opposition that should allow them to contribute and build confidence at the level would be a no brainer I would have thought.

We know TOB and Ollie are not going to take us to the next level. We need to be finding out who might be able to lift our club out of it's current position.

You can understand the coaches playing to win and save the club the embarrassment but the kids won't get a better chance to show what they can do than this week.

If they have that intangible match winning instinct that good players have, this is the game it could come to the for.

Probably playing the more experience side trying to get a cheap win, so what happens when we lose when even experience doing get a win against a weak side we he turn to kids and there will be no different as both will lose that games.

Not really. Our form is woeful and most of the side is down on confidence. You couldn't confidently pick us in any game at present. Not even this one.

Not really. Our form is woeful and most of the side is down on confidence. You couldn't confidently pick us in any game at present. Not even this one.
You can in this. North are terrible with their first choice side out - they don’t have that. If we don’t win here, it is entirely on us. We will though, it won’t mean we are good, but we will win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah wait until we are playing the best sides and then throw them in hah

Letting young players learn their craft in the VFL should not be considered the worst thing in the world when it comes to key position players, in particular for forwards. It is a mighty difficult position to play and i am sure it doesn't make it any easier to learn when you also have the rest of the team learning how to kick it to you. This season should certainly be used to see what depth we have in stable but we cant pretend that subjecting "under developed" players to the AFL standard will be a good thing for them.

Also, while i have had had a few, its surprising that there aren't many calls to see Koschitzke back in defense. Not saying he should go back there full time but for a team probably looking for another tall defender nobody seems to call for the bloke who has been training there for the last 2 years to play there. Is there a reason for this? Did he struggle?

We should win this 100%.

In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter or mean anything but we shouldn't be losing to an injury riddled bottom side.
Exactly. We should win this relatively easily. Does it make us good? No.

Well, actually I made no mention of Shiels at all. Not once.

but I’ll ask the question, who is putting their hand up at Box Hill to take his spot?

It does absolutely nothing for the side to have jeka sit there working it out while his opponent takes intercept marks. Who do you think benefits from tob in the side? Just tob or maybe it is also Lewis, Kosi, Moore and Ollie? Ollie and Moore can’t get crumbs off of intercept marks. Why is this a hard concept to grasp? It is about the greater benefit to the squad, not one player 🤦‍♂️

Unfortunately, the results don't back up the concept. I think that's why it's so hard to understand.

O'Brien was moved to the backline his last few games in the team and we got 1 of our 2 wins with him playing there. Kosi kicked his 5 that day and looked fine without TOB around. Also, Hanrahan and Lewis hit the scoreboard a season-high amount last week against the Eagles without TOB.

Tim O’Brien a 9 year vet was putting his hand up to take a kids spot when we are second bottom and in a rebuild was he?
Clearly he was, because there’s nothing else left in the cupboard. Whether you can deal with that fact or not, is another thing.

Clearly he was, because there’s nothing else left in the cupboard. Whether you can deal with that fact or not, is another thing.

Please. You have to do better than that.

Everyone knows he is not the answer long term. Never has been. We are going to finish bottom two and we bring a spare parts man who has been around for 9 years 🤦‍♂️

Keep playing Jeka.

You can in this. North are terrible with their first choice side out - they don’t have that. If we don’t win here, it is entirely on us. We will though, it won’t mean we are good, but we will win.
This is north's best chance for a win for a long time and most likely the year. It is a GF for them plus an extra day's break. Our record stinks since the start of 2020 so it is a 50 50 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back