Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Murmurs over Mark Korda’s ability to step permanently into the giant shoes of Eddie McGuire began before a ball was bounced in season 2021.
Delivering the presidential pre-game address in the MCG Olympic Room prior to the Round 1 Collingwood-Western Bulldogs clash, Korda mistakenly referred to fellow club director Paul Licuria as a member of the Magpies’ 2010 premiership team.

After a dinner guest pointed out his error, Korda corrected himself, referencing Licuria’s place in the 2003 Grand Final side, which lost to Brisbane.

It was a harmless gaffe, but one not lost on those wondering what life ‘post-McGuire’ at Collingwood would look like.
(Disappointing, harmless is the key word though)

The pressure is building on Korda and waiting patiently in the wings is would-be Collingwood president Jeff Browne, the former Channel 9 boss and long-time AFL legal adviser, whose behind-the-scenes campaign to seize control of the club continues to gather momentum.

The Browne camp have been busy assembling a rival ticket to the Korda board, and there are three options being considered.

The first option would involve a formal meeting between the two parties, during which Browne’s team would seek a peaceful transfer of power, potentially involving the retention of two or three directors.

Option two would see the Browne forces wait until next year’s annual general meeting before forcing a spill of the board, but the concern with that strategy is the lengthy delay and amount of damage that might be done in the meantime.

The third, and most likely option, is the calling of an extraordinary general meeting where Magpies fans would be given the chance to go to the polls and vote on the group they believe should take charge at the Holden Centre.

Lol, pressure building over a simple gaffe. It was his first speech as president and he is not a media stooge like McGuire.

I just want someone who knuckles down does the job, keeps a low media profile and focusses on footy.

I do not want a McGuire suck hole like Brown, this tells you all you need to know:

1620362542413.png

Lol, pressure building over a simple gaffe. It was his first speech as president and he is not a media stooge like McGuire.

I just want someone who knuckles down does the job, keeps a low media profile and focusses on footy.

I do not want a McGuire suck hole like Brown, this tells you all you need to know:

View attachment 1120547
Browne is indeed McGuire's best mate which is problematic but if you think he is just some lackey to Eddie you don't know Jeff Browne at all.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Jeff Browne supports sweeping changes , I will become his no 1 fan.
To answer the below replies Korda is also mates with Eddie.
Browne certainly has the credentials was boss at channel 9 senior legal advisor at the afl.
In our position at this moment a revolution and some blood spilling is inevitable.
Many great empires were built this way

The board were split on the new president, not the best way to start. They made a quick decision when Browne's name was floated purely to save themselves. Peter Moore and Craig Kelly fully behind Browne and they have a vested interest in getting it right. We have nothing to lose this year, need to rip it off like a bandaid, get the big broom in there now.

Anything that has Kelly's hands on it should be avoided like the plague.

1. The succession plan was his baby, epic disaster.

2. Ned Guy endorsed by Kelly

Now Brown, buyer beware.

Anything that has Kelly's hands on it should be avoided like the plague.

1. The succession plan was his baby, epic disaster.

2. Ned Guy endorsed by Kelly

Now Brown, buyer beware.

Any transition won’t be pretty. Hopefully if it’s to happen it’s peaceful and aligned with normal AGM scheduling. At the moment, Korda has the role and deserves the opportunity to show what he’ll bring to the role.

Browne is probably either trying to barge his way into Waitslitz‘s soon-to-be-vacant seat, or make it harder for the board to recruit somebody else to fill Waitslitz’s seat.

I don’t know much about Browne, but I don’t like what he’s doing here.

I really hope there’s an EGM and Browne gets rebuffed. The voting members generally seem to be a rational bunch, so that may happen.

... Delivering the presidential pre-game address in the MCG Olympic Room prior to the Round 1 Collingwood-Western Bulldogs clash, Korda mistakenly referred to fellow club director Paul Licuria as a member of the Magpies’ 2010 premiership team.

After a dinner guest pointed out his error, Korda corrected himself, referencing Licuria’s place in the 2003 Grand Final side, which lost to Brisbane.

It was a harmless gaffe, but one not lost on those wondering what life ‘post-McGuire’ at Collingwood would look like.

Maybe it was a ‘refreshing gaffe’? Would have thought many fans would like having a President who has no chance of mucking around with footy affairs?

Browne is probably either trying to barge his way into Waitslitz‘s soon-to-be-vacant seat, or make it harder for the board to recruit somebody else to fill Waitslitz’s seat.

I don’t know much about Browne, but I don’t like what he’s doing here.

I really hope there’s an EGM and Browne gets rebuffed. The voting members generally seem to be a rational bunch, so that may happen.

On paper Browne looks perfect, but its the connection to McGuire I do not like. Someone like McGuire does not just fade into the background, he will have his mitts all over Browne's push. Hopefully the board gets proactive and starts putting its stamp on the club and dumps a lot of McGuires 'policies'. If they do that I think the members might back them because they want to move on from McGuire.

One thing is certain, Browne will run a very effective media and marketing campaign if push comes to shove but the board has some very deep pockets that can push back.

Is Browne if elected just say does he bring in his own board members

Depends. If he's running for Pres he'd probably want a full spill of the board you'd think. If he's just angling for a board spot as a 1st step then probably not.

On paper Browne looks perfect, ...

What makes him perfect?

Whatever folks think of Korda as President, it’s not just about him ... our current board composition seems quite decent. Hard to imagine that Browne could assemble as impressive a board around him, and if he doesn’t then it will seem all about him, and that’s not the kind of person we want at the head of our footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one really knows whats happening behind the scenes.
Some of us are forgetting Maguire fully endorsed Korda as new Collingwood president.
Who ever thinks Maguire is not envolved at Collingwood at the moment are kidding themselves and are living in fantasy land.
Let me state this again both Korda and Brown are good mates with Maguire.
As an outsider which most of us are Brown to me seems more compodent and has better credentials then Korda.
Personally as i stated earlier some blood spilling or a revolution of some kind behind the scenes could benefit us the stronger to survive. Many empires were built this way.
The bottom line no one knows whats happening at board room level at our club, and who Maguire is really backing.

No one really knows whats happening behind the scenes.
Some of us are forgetting Maguire fully endorsed Korda as new Collingwood president.
Who ever thinks Maguire is not envolved at Collingwood at the moment are kidding themselves and are living in fantasy land.
Let me state this again both Korda and Brown are good mates with Maguire.
As an outsider which most of us are Brown to me seems more compodent and has better credentials then Korda.
Personally as i stated earlier some blood spilling or a revolution of some kind behind the scenes could benefit us the stronger to survive. Many empires were built this way.
The bottom line no one knows whats happening at board room level at our club, and who Maguire is really backing.
You do realise Korda was involved in pushing Ed out, right?

According to Caro, Korda’s days are numbered.

If our board had picked Murphy as President instead, we probably wouldn’t be talking about board challenges and EGM’s.

Murphy is relatively new to the board and is credited widely for the 2017 review ...

... but the board instead decided “nah, let’s replace the President of 23 years with a accountant bloke who has been on the board for 14 years”. Not saying it was the wrong thing to do ... I have no idea who these people are beyond their public profile. There must have been a reason for it.

According to Caro, Korda’s days are numbered.

As an initial supporter of Korda’s appointment that article is troubling. Everything in there will be factual and to read that the club at this stage is looking to extend Buckley for one year has me wondering whether the executive is as finished as the coaching group.

The counter to that is that the speed in which the move would happen would indicate a strong push for Clarkson. Either way I think we’ll have our answer on the clubs future by QB.

I dont want any replacement to be an Eddie ally. He is still wielding far too much power.

If they are both claiming to be better mates with Eddie than the other.... then I dont want either.

Agree. In ordinary circumstances Browne seems an ideal candidate. Except...

1. He’s a very close mate of Eddie’s.
2. He is late 60’s in age. So he’s probably not a long term proposition.
3. Craig Kelly is supporting him strongly. This could compromise the decision on Buckley’s future as coach if Browne is successful.

We havent had democracy for over 20 years. Eddie's recent guernsey defence against Port indicates that he still feels that he is speaking for the club. I saw Korda speak against Port's attempts to use the guernsey but the focus was almost entirely on eddie. It's going to be hard for any person to get any sort of profile while Eddie is alive.

Also, I'm nor sure if its possible to get someone who has some connection to the club to be president AND not be a mate of Eddie. I would have thought if a high profile person has a relationship with the club, Eddie would have made it a priority over the last 20 years, to befriend that person. Obviously, Browne's relationship with Eddie is far more than that, but we wont find a president who wont be consulting with eddie in the future.

Finally, I find it puzzling when I see people say that Korda should be given a chance. He's had a pretty fair go as a key player for the last 15 years. And we know what the current board has overseen, even if they now like to distance themselves from Eddie. Either Korda was involved in the decision making of the past, or he allowed Eddie to run the club without conferring with the board - either way, Korda needs to take some responsibility.

The counter to that is that the speed in which the move would happen would indicate a strong push for Clarkson. Either way I think we’ll have our answer on the clubs future by QB.

Is Clarkson the answer though?

Why would he want to jump from a team that has been rebuilding for a few years to a team that has been rebuilding for six months?

Wouldn’t we be better off with a coach with minimal expectations on them? If he coaches Collingwood to the results he’s been coaching Hawthorn to lately, it could quickly degenerate into a Malthouse -> Carlton scenario.

I’m not convinced by Clarkson at all.

He’s a very close mate of Eddie’s
I personally don’t have an issue with that.
My biggest bugbear with Ed was his mouth whilst being our President, (now he can say what he likes).
All the strengths Ed had, Browne has too and more - connections and a vast knowledge of AFL House etc.
Whilst I clearly don’t know the man, I reckon he’s better at reading the room than Ed and would tell him to back off when appropriate.

Is Clarkson the answer though?

Why would he want to jump from a team that has been rebuilding for a few years to a team that has been rebuilding for six months?

Wouldn’t we be better off with a coach with minimal expectations on them? If he coaches Collingwood to the results he’s been coaching Hawthorn to lately, it could quickly degenerate into a Malthouse -> Carlton scenario.

I’m not convinced by Clarkson at all.

He would only leave hawthorn if he was merely setting up the club for Mitchell .... which isnt something you usually see from coaches. It would be a startlingly selfless attitude if it did eventuate.

I disagree with your argument about expectations. Clarkson is not even on the radar about being sacked at hawthorn, even though hawthorn is a couple of years through a rebuild and still not doing much. The lack of media pressure reflects just how much clout he has. If he came to the Pies, I think it would be a while before any pressure could be put on his position with the pies.

Im not convinced that an untried coach could handle the job...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back