Preview Sydney Swans vs Fremantle Dockers, Saturday May 22 @ Optus Stadium - Rd 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMU Mustangs, Matildas
Edited Sunday am.

In a stretch of winnable games this one might test the high flying redbirds. Up there with the tests we had against Geelong, the lions and of course Richmond. This team likes a test.

The win against the Pies was scratchy and played in tricky conditions. This week we'll have a bigger paddock, and hopefully less breeze to contend with. Just the thing for free-running young signets to show their wares.

Dockers coming off a 6 day break.

My preference is to leave Bud at home and see if he can get himself right. He's not moving all that well and seems to be the focus of too many forays, much to our detriment. Our best games this year have sadly been the ones where Buddy watches from the stands. This time he can enjoy the show from the comfort of his Bondi penthouse. imo.

It’s a tough ask but I reckon Sydney have the skills to get it done. Win it and it really sets up an exciting back half of the year.

Swans by 12.

Last edited:
This game is gonna be harder than it looks on paper. The other side of Australia at a ground where away teams struggle, and played our worst game in recent memory against them last year. Its as if the Monstars took over their bodies.

Surprise me Swans lol

I haven't seen a single Freo game this year. talk to me people. What is Freo all about this year?
They’re still hard to score against. Luke Ryan & co. are a genuinely solid defence.

Cerra and Serong are high quality young mids.

Fyfe and Walters a bit down in form, but we know how good they can be.

Freo completely shut us down last year - our 2020 game style played into their hands.

They play low scoring, defence orientated slogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re still hard to score against. Luke Ryan & co. are a genuinely solid defence.

Cerra and Serong are high quality young mids.

Fyfe and Walters a bit down in form, but we know how good they can be.

Freo completely shut us down last year - our 2020 game style played into their hands.

They play low scoring, defence orientated slogs.
Oh awesome. Another trench warfare game.

22 August 2020, Optus Stadium

Freo 7.8.50 def Syd 2.7.19

Lest we forget
I remember a Dockers game at the SCG around the time Eade got the boot and it was the worst game I’ve ever seen live (still is and I saw a few bad ones in the early 90’s). Fremantle do know how to drag the game down to Auskick standards.

I still laugh how you could manage 2 goals in a game of football but we did!

Wait we had ONE goal at the start of the 3rd!!
I sat behind the Swans goal and gradually lost the will to live.

We went slow and wide. All night. They blocked the corridor effectively. Freo’s defence picked our (rare) entries off with absurd ease.

And yet, I’ll be going to the match hoping 2021 is a polar opposite.

Longmuir is a defensive oriented coach and will put his mind to stopping our transitions from the backline.

One thing I did note yesterday was the high number of handball chains and tap ons forward as opposed to sideways or back. Handball was used much more offensively. This may have been designed to break zones and create a bit of chaos. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back