Preview Rd 9 Carlton v Melbourne, MCG, Sunday May 16, 3.20pm - Team - Post #700

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaches, he's not in the team.
Only been omitted last few games since debuting 4 or so years ago. He’s been given plenty of opportunities. The best I recall is match against dogs (2019?) when he played midfield. Admittedly that may be his best position but he hasn’t shown enough in defense to be classed as a gun. Certainly does some really nice things at times but no where near consistently. Same goes for Dow.

Only been omitted last few games since debuting 4 or so years ago. He’s been given plenty of opportunities. The best I recall is match against dogs (2019?) when he played midfield. Admittedly that may be his best position but he hasn’t shown enough in defense to be classed as a gun. Certainly does some really nice things at times but no where near consistently. Same goes for Dow.

He's not going to be a gun defender. But we've played him in defence for nearly 2 years.
He'll be a gun through the midfield and half forward, kicking the ball inside 50, setting up scores.

He's not going to be a gun defender. But we've played him in defence for nearly 2 years.
He'll be a gun through the midfield and half forward, kicking the ball inside 50, setting up scores.
I understand this has been the thinking here on BF but can we really believe that Teague and the rest of the assistants do not know what’s best for sps and the team? If they get something that seems to be this obvious on here wrong what hope does Teague have moving forward?

I understand this has been the thinking here on BF but can we really believe that Teague and the rest of the assistants do not know what’s best for sps and the team? If they get something that seems to be this obvious on here wrong what hope does Teague have moving forward?

There's a lot obviously wrong with what Teague and the assistants are doing. He'd want to pull his finger out, or he'll be out of a job.

And the Club is failing. We're sitting 12th.
And that's why SPS and others have been dropped to get others in to improve the side and its position on the ladder

While picking in form players is important, what's more important is the gameplan and structures that are holding us back at the moment

If everyone took your stance, they'd be no discussion forum.

Surely you must have an opinion on Williams' game so far this year and in particular last week so that you could at least have a go at answering his question.
Yes is definitely down on form but can't say for sure why. Only the club knows if he is injured, unfit etc.

cheers mate, a nice change from your constant pot shots at Carlton on the main board.

was embarrassing choking that lead to the ol' 2-prems last week but Melbourne didnt look great against Sydney despite the win.
Haha cheers. Don’t take my comments too personally I probably stir up every team.

Melbourne have looked vulnerable the last couple weeks and I think the pressure of being top is getting to them. They have Weideman back in so that’s him Brown and McDonald up forward.

Carlton will hopefully see this as an opportunity.

I’d back Cripps to have a big game but I genuinely don’t know if he’s injured or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he’s slowly being Carltoned
Slowly?

Perhaps fast-tracked to record time!

Hopefully he redeems himself this week, otherwise we'll have to drop him.
I'd personally move him back to the halfback line and make him earn his paycheck in his best position.
The Club can't be held to ransom by a player.

Some players have really struggled this year, such as the likes of Willo, but many players coming in and out of the side are very much interchangeable considering their output

Again, we have no one currently that can play Levi's role, with TDK still finding touch, form and fitness
Totally agree Disposals wise, game impact ,Levi's numbers not far off what his normal input is over his career -- Just that now people seem to be able use injury as an excuse for his ability -- if we have had curnow mcgovern Mackay silvagni available over the last 2/1/2 years I doubt Levi would still be in the side

Totally agree Disposals wise, game impact ,Levi's numbers not far off what his normal input is over his career -- Just that now people seem to be able use injury as an excuse for his ability -- if we have had curnow mcgovern Mackay silvagni available over the last 2/1/2 years I doubt Levi would still be in the side

As long as the likes of Mackay chopped out in the ruck

While picking in form players is important, what's more important is the gameplan and structures that are holding us back at the moment

said it since last year our stoppage setups are laughable. Whilst we may win the clearance it’s our next use that is utterly pathetic.

Bounce the ball ffs

Eddie McGuire is trying to get rid of Saturday afternoon games, not sure how he would feel about
3.45am Sunday morning games :laughv1:

You really should know the answer to your question. Suggest you have a look at the Teague thread, no shortage of experts here who'll tell you what hope Teague has. :rolleyes:

Haha cheers. Don’t take my comments too personally I probably stir up every team.

Melbourne have looked vulnerable the last couple weeks and I think the pressure of being top is getting to them. They have Weideman back in so that’s him Brown and McDonald up forward.

Carlton will hopefully see this as an opportunity.

I’d back Cripps to have a big game but I genuinely don’t know if he’s injured or not.
He is, world's worst kept secret. The extent of it is completely unknown though. We've really Got an awful midfield setup though. Not confident.

I do not understand our team selection at all.
We played arguably our best game for the year last week. Yes, we got smashed in the last quarter, but we were playing arguably the form team and best midfield in the competition. Prior to that, when we built a 5 goal lead we were excellent.

The players dropped weren't the problem. Gibbons, Newnes, SPS - it honestly just smacks of fan service, trying to keep the wolves at bay for a week in the knowledge that we will probably lose anyway and can then re-drop the same players next week. All the outs had been doing their job FINE, and we lost because other, higher profile players weren't doing there's- Cripps, Williams, Jones, Saad, Docherry, even Cuningham- all had more to do with the loss than the three players dropped

The ins do nothing to fix it. Newman was a whipping boy pre injury, looked terrible last week, and is slower and less tough than Newnes. Murphy has played the HF role considerably less well than Gibbons because he applies essentially zero pressure. Setterfield,,'s performances this year were atrocious, I guess the plan is to play him midfield so I guess we can see but on what basis he is recalled I have no idea.

I just don't see it. Murphy and Newman is a tired old well to draw on. We have had such success in blooding young guys too. Why not try Honey over Murphy? De Koning over Casboult, playing limited minutes in a backup ruck and pinch hitting role.

Poor development and the inability to play players in their preferred position.
not disagreeing with that completely but if we play everyone in their preferred positions we'd have dow setters kennedy walsh curnow cripps cunners fish murph and sps in the midfield. We also drafted stocker and possibly kemp to play midfield. On top of that we recruited williams to play midfield.

I think players need to learn to play in positions other than their preferred positions.

Hopefully Stocker will see some midfield minutes.The team as selected has Parks and Newman on the bench so if Stocker plays back that's 8 defenders in the team.
Guessing there is no chance Williams goes to the backline looks like it's midfield for him.
Both Williams and Cripps need to lift if you take the field you are good to go so they have got to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back