Review QCLASH XX - Round 9 vs Brisbane @ Metricon Stadium (15.05.21 - 4:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Spot on and an exact point in case is the bloke who was BOG tonight.
He was treated appallingly by Dew. Now look at him go under a coach who doesn't throw the baby out with the bath water.
What pisses me off the most about that whole incidence is that we delisted him while under contract.

I understand that sounds obvious but he was only on about 400k a year. why would you delist a guy, who was your best midfielder a year prior, on minimal coin, when you gain NOTHING out of it.

Like I would even have understood dropping him to the 2's for a while. If the coaches wanted him to work on things, I can understand that. But to delist him? It's was genuinely almost as bad as the Treloar deal this year. If we were a big market team we would have been absolutely crucified for how that went down.

Glad he's been killing it at Brisbane tbh.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What pisses me off the most about that whole incidence is that we delisted him while under contract.

I understand that sounds obvious but he was only on about 400k a year. why would you delist a guy, who was your best midfielder a year prior, on minimal coin, when you gain NOTHING out of it.

Like I would even have understood dropping him to the 2's for a while. If the coaches wanted him to work on things, I can understand that. But to delist him? It's was genuinely almost as bad as the Treloar deal this year. If we were a big market team we would have been absolutely crucified for how that went down.

Glad he's been killing it at Brisbane tbh.

Dew tried to justify in press conference by saying replaced him with Greenwood

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
37 touches and growing with 36 pressure acts and 9 tackles - no future in that kid . #FUDew

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
But we needed to get rid of Lyons to get games into Brodie :drunk:

TBH I’ve been having an ordinary year like Mr Bods above and the last thing I’ve needed is to sit down and add three hours of further depression to my life every weekend following this mob with so much else going on. Electing to just check the scores once the game is over has been the wisest decision I’ve made in ages. Removes additional stress. The end margins unfortunately were what I expected before the match anyway.

This team is just so predictable and has been for 11 years. Can win against fellow s**t sides or sides going through a bad patch (eg Swans a few weeks ago), but never up to it against any of the better teams. Once we get a few injuries or the season reaches about Round 8, it’s all over.

Like a few others here, starting to think Dew is not the man but also like a few others here, think we lack mature talent needed to take the next step no matter who is coaching us. Not sure how we can attract the right mature talent without giving up some of our young “stars” and top draft picks, and continuing this unfortunate rebuild cycle. These guys haven’t even been able to consistently implement Dew’s game plan. A new coach would mean they’d have to start from scratch yet again.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Somehow Dew has managed to convince the Club that the “Play the 18 yos” is a winning plan
It wasn’t in 2011 even with Ablett
Now we don’t even have an Ablett
The kids thing worked once with Essendon and Sheedy decades ago when guys still smoked and drank and a few even had day jobs and there was only about 6 or 7 in the 93 premiership team anyway surrounded by some all time hardened players
We keep making the same mistakes again and again
It’s like a Sisyphus nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Dew tried to justify in press conference by saying replaced him with Greenwood
I nearly fell over with that one should have been challenged. Absolutely rubbish. Man up and admit you monumentally failed to develop that player and coach his clear strengths. Absolute embarrassing attempt to deflect his responsibility and accountability.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I nearly fell over with that one should have been challenged. Absolutely rubbish. Man up and admit you monumentally failed to develop that player and coach his clear strengths. Absolute embarrassing attempt to deflect his responsibility and accountability.
Probably acknowledges it privately, nothing to gain by saying it publicly.

But the Greenwood comment was ridiculous. Agree with you there.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I witnessed Dew on a number of occasions go down to the bench to have a crack at Lyons. I never saw him do it to anyone else.
He clearly had a beef with him.
Im wavering now on Dew and I’ve probably been his most vocal supporter here.
Absolutely Bods treated completely differently to others because Dew didn't like him for some unknown reason.

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just watching now

1st quarter, thought markovs runs were great, his disposal is just what kept him out of that richmond team but I like the way he just keeps going for it. Noah Andersons hands in traffic are amazing, Swallow with an incredible start, add Witts, Miller and Rowell shouldn't be understated.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Our defenders are not one on one defenders, they play good team defence, but when the midfield is as flat footed as this, we just don't have a hope in hell. We just haven't been able, or willing, to pressure the ball carrier.

Ainsworth is killing me, I thought he was a shot at bnf last year before injury.

But again, we are still young, and missing witts rowell miller day and hollands. I'm not on the dew witch hunt just yet

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Our defenders are not one on one defenders, they play good team defence, but when the midfield is as flat footed as this, we just don't have a hope in hell. We just haven't been able, or willing, to pressure the ball carrier.

Ainsworth is killing me, I thought he was a shot at bnf last year before injury.

But again, we are still young, and missing witts rowell miller day and hollands. I'm not on the dew witch hunt just yet

How can you say missing Hollands? He hasn’t played a game he could end up like Brodie fiorini Wright ah chee martin list goes on

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
To be fair why would he bother even trying?
While I agree he's really hard done by and I'd like to see him in the middle playing firsts, it shouldn't matter what level you're playing at if you've been drafted by an AFL team and you're on the money he's on. If you can't muster up the effort to try, even in ressie's, you don't deserve the call up to the seniors.

Probably speaks to where we're at as a team though. People think they're so entitled to games in the senior side they refuse to try hard in the seconds, even if they are being overlooked. It's probably why we went out of our way to draft and trade for guys like Holman, GHS, Corey Ellis, Murdoch and Townsend. They're not world beaters and they probably aren't/weren't going to make it, but they put in 100% effort every game and every training session trying to get the most out of themselves, even if it didn't or doesn't pay off.

I think the speech LeBron James gives here (albeit about basketball) probably sums it up the best:

“We got Hall of Famers and some of the best players to ever play the game came off the bench – or didn’t play. That don’t mean you ain’t good. There’s guys in the NBA that don’t play. Does that mean they not good? They got to the NBA because they were sorry? They’re just playing a role.

If you don’t want a role, play tennis or play golf. Because then you can do what the [expletive] you want to do, and then you’ve got nobody else to blame because it’s only an individual sport. If that’s what you want to do, play tennis or play golf. But if you want to play a team sport, there’s going to be things you’ve got to give up to get what you want.”

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
While I agree he's really hard done by and I'd like to see him in the middle playing firsts, it shouldn't matter what level you're playing at if you've been drafted by an AFL team and you're on the money he's on. If you can't muster up the effort to try, even in ressie's, you don't deserve the call up to the seniors.

Probably speaks to where we're at as a team though. People think they're so entitled to games in the senior side they refuse to try hard in the seconds, even if they are being overlooked. It's probably why we went out of our way to draft and trade for guys like Holman, GHS, Corey Ellis, Murdoch and Townsend. They're not world beaters and they probably aren't/weren't going to make it, but they put in 100% effort every game and every training session trying to get the most out of themselves, even if it didn't or doesn't pay off.

I think the speech LeBron James gives here (albeit about basketball) probably sums it up the best:

“We got Hall of Famers and some of the best players to ever play the game came off the bench – or didn’t play. That don’t mean you ain’t good. There’s guys in the NBA that don’t play. Does that mean they not good? They got to the NBA because they were sorry? They’re just playing a role.

If you don’t want a role, play tennis or play golf. Because then you can do what the [expletive] you want to do, and then you’ve got nobody else to blame because it’s only an individual sport. If that’s what you want to do, play tennis or play golf. But if you want to play a team sport, there’s going to be things you’ve got to give up to get what you want.”
Yeah nah
LeBron sounding off on players with less talent than he has in his little finger lacks insight
It's like rich white guys with expensive educations and million dollar a year jobs moaning about migrants not wanting to turn up and pick fruit for $20 an hour and "play their role"

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Must be pretty unmotivating to know once you’re out of flavour with the coach your papers are stamped though
Needs to have a stronger character then. We have a combo of a coach that plays favourites and players unwilling to work harder when things aren't going their way. Look at Richmond, their players work their rings off for the club no matter what level they are at and have the correct coaching to get them above and beyond. We are lacking so bad in strong character it is a massive issue. So many sooks and has been that way for way to long.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Needs to have a stronger character then. We have a combo of a coach that plays favourites and players unwilling to work harder when things aren't going their way. Look at Richmond, their players work their rings off for the club no matter what level they are at and have the correct coaching to get them above and beyond. We are lacking so bad in strong character it is a massive issue. So many sooks and has been that way for way to long.
Problem is at Richmond they have Richmond
We have been the laughing stock of the AFL since inception for better or worse
For these guys not making this team is embarrassing so they will take the low road as a default position
I don't believe that can be put entirely on their shoulders- there has to be coaching and club issues at play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back