Review Dogs 96 def Power 77 - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It was one of the most even umpiring games you will see. Both teams with little things to grizzle about but it was evenly officiated.

sometimes the umps held their whistle, but sometimes they over umpired a little, but overall they got it right

They pinged us a few times for holding on too long- which was good.
Big improvement on Friday nights umpires who would not call anything.

I get it we have to have a whipping boy but have a look at Hannans last qtr against the Blues. He hasn’t hit his straps yet but just like McNeil and Scott Bevo has some idea of what he is doing and wanting even if it’s not cl to others

No. Some players are way below the level of form required and should be dropped. A whipping boy is someone who is playing ok but gets blamed for everything that is wrong.

Listening to Bev, I’d say this is yet another example of a player having a role that is not apparent to us watching at home.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We seem to have a few players who are perennially playing a role that is not apparent to us. And some others who get dropped and overlooked just so quickly you can't believe it was even worth giving them one game.

The last 5min of the third were very crucial. They had multiple quality looks and came away with no goals. Bont and Duryea filling the hole was huge.

Actually it was the last 5m of the second quarter that was key. That’s when we stemmed the bleeding. it was Bont as usual who started it.

Big win in the context of this team.
I wasn't a fan of giving up our quarter time lead but you could see the team had genuinely learned something from the Richmond game.

Excellent to see us slow it down at the end lead by JJ, Duryea and several other senior players.

JJ and Cordy were great when the heat was on. Loved Williams' return. Caleb was immense, almost a perfect game from him. Also welcome back Bailey Smith. Cody Weightman looks to be exactly what we need forward. Still don't see it with Hannan, think Maclean would be the ideal replacement.

Also can we end the discussion. Naughton is a forward and a bloody good one at that.

And how can I forget Libba. We'd be screwed without him. Just the epitome of on field leadership.

I’m loving our front half right now, Weightman is what we’ve been crying out for. He’s ready! Will still have down days but we should persist with him for here on out, he’s the small forward we need. Just a bonus that he can take a good grab! McNeil as well I’m getting pretty excited about, I don’t think he’s far off having it all click for him and genuinely ripping a game open. Love the way he plays, fix up your kicking though!

JJs best game in the forward half, I’m massive on this role for him. I wanted it preseason I knew he was capable of it but it just wasn’t working. I think he’s getting it now and growing in confidence. Getting him flying in this role is honestly huge for this side. He only needs 10 touches a week just keep impacting with every one of them, I love having him out the back on a fastbreak.

Hannan I’m not sure I’m seeing it yet but will give it time, I feel with English back we’d be better off just going very small around the big 3 but happy to persist with Hannan for a few more weeks, there’s some serious pressure on spots for the smalls now though so he needs to start performing. Scott I thought was much more quiet this week than the last couple And he really needs to be taking his chances in front of goal, I don’t mind him but he’s still probably 21st or 22nd picked for mine and he’s just keeping McLeans spot warm.

Hunter, McNeil, McLean, JJ, Weightman, VDM all rotating through the forward pockets, flanks & wing is the end goal for this team this year I reckon. Plenty of pace, defensive pressure, skills & goalkicking in that bunch.

Did we ever figure out why Crozier was sub? Did he need a rest (less game time?) or was he soft dropped? Was it disciplinary?

He's almost first picked for me every week

The AFL player stats points system ranked Libba as the 26th best player, just below Riley Bonner and Stephen Motlop.

Seriously.
That's just AFL fantasy points. They aren't the best model IMO.

The much better player model, AFL Player Ratings had him at number 1.

1621128595320.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please do not be too crìtical if Cody does not have another "blinder" next wk.
- consistency comes with experience
- probably fell under ports radar based on vfl form.

Chrs Woofo

Did we ever figure out why Crozier was sub? Did he need a rest (less game time?) or was he soft dropped? Was it disciplinary?

That was a puzzling selection for mine...if he is sore rest him. Why make him sub? He played well replacing Easton early on though.

We are far from our own though when it comes to puzzling subs - just look at the Adelaide Crows who made a clearly injured Tom Lynch their sub against Hawthorn that cost them the game.

That was a great win last night...beating the Power in Adelaide is up there with the most difficult assignments in the AFL (with beating Geelong or West Coast away). I was skeptical about our chances.

Just have to remember these wise words from the Dropkick Murphys' Tessie.

"Don't blame us if we ever doubt you, You know we couldn't live without you, Doggies, you are the only, only, o..only".

Sorry for being so late, but as always here are some expanded stats...

Expected Score
WB: 82
PA: 65

Centre Bounce Attendance
24 - Sweet
23 - Macrae
21 - Bontempelli, Liberatore
18 - B. Smith
10 - Treloar
7 - Bruce

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
63 - Sweet (18/4)
20 - Bruce (5/0)
12 - Keath (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 4
PA: 11

First Possessions
WB: 43
PA: 46

Clearances/Effective Clearances
WB: 44/34
PA: 38/28

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 62%
PA: 67%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 11
PA: 7

Score Launches
4 - Crozier, Treloar
3 - Daniel
2 - Dale, Liberatore
1 - Bontempelli, Cordy, Macrae, Naughton, Sweet, Weightman

Shots At Goal
WB: 25 (60%)

PA: 21 (57%)

Targets Inside 50
11 - Bruce
9 - Naughton
4 - Johannisen, McNeil, Scott, Weightman
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Hannan
1 - Lipinski, Treloar, Sweet

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 3
PA: 8

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 27
PA: 19

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 42
PA: 55

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 9
PA: 10

No Pressure Errors
WB: 7
PA: 4

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
2 - Dale
1 - Crozier, Treloar

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 206 (Elite)
PA: 184 (Average)

Q2
WB: 186 (Average)
PA: 204 (Elite)

Q3
WB: 188 (Average)
PA: 188 (Average)

Q4
WB: 196 (Above Average)
PA: 190 (Above Average)

Match
WB: 193 (Above Average)
PA: 191 (Above Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1128770

Score Sources
View attachment 1128772
Is that the first time we've exceeded our expected score all season?

Listening to Bev, I’d say this is yet another example of a player having a role that is not apparent to us watching at home.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Anyone want to take a guess at what it is? Someone with a better footy mind than mine?

Bevo’s presser made it seem like he was dropped. He only made a fleeting comment but mentioned ‘competition for spots’.

I don’t think it’s necessarily that he’s being dropped on poor form, but we almost have one too many defenders with none of them producing droppable performances. We’ve tried to release Caleb up the ground to free up a defender spot but he’s been moved back recently where he belongs.

We have 8 strong defenders which seems to be one too many for team balance. Keath, Cordy/Gardner, Wood, Crozier, Williams, Dale, Daniel & Duryea. Williams & Crozier being injured had ‘solved’ that problem and now Wood is out for a while too.

I thought they got a slight home town rub but yeh, reasonably even.

A couple of shockers where they should have been pinged for dropping the ball and it was play on or even them that got the free!

That one where libba tackled Gray perfectly from the side, every player on the ground started lining up for a dogs free then the ump called in the back to Gray!

Probably balances with a couple we got.
It was one of the most even umpiring games you will see. Both teams with little things to grizzle about but it was evenly officiated.

sometimes the umps held their whistle, but sometimes they over umpired a little, but overall they got it right

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back