Preview Rd 9 Carlton v Melbourne, MCG, Sunday May 16, 3.20pm - Team - Post #700

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok but you obviously do....
No. I said he's shown he's had a good defensive side of the game in the past. That's not saying why he's out of the team.
You honestly think the coaches took a perfectly rounded sps in midfield and sent him into defense on a whim?? AFL is a way different animal, especially midfield.. If you can not be a 2 way runner, all game in midfield, then your not a midfielder...
Lol. OK. How do you know its because of his running? It could be his kicking, it could be his attitude, could be his positioning around stoppages? How do you know why and what his issues are with holding his spot? You on the MC? I think a few of us would like a word if you are.

Once again, baffling team selection and clear favouritism going on.

Williams and Levi remain in. fmd, TDK on one leg offers more than Pitto and Casboult combined. Williams was dreadful last week. How can they justify keeping these blokes in after their performances this year? They have been nothing more than liabilities.

Honey and Durdin both showing something at VFL level, yet Murphy gets just straight back in...

Gibbons and Newnes both deserved to get dropped at least.

Setters named on a wing, hopefully that doesn't actually eventuate but my gut feeling is it will. He needs to play in the guts.

Not sure Newman's ready yet, hopefully it frees Stocker up to play in the middle.
It’s not really that baffling. I think this week is fine, bar Murph. The two outs have been down on form. I feel somewhat relaxed about Muprh Vs Recent Gibbo. I’d prefer Honey to Murph but I think they just want to see a bit more. They celery don’t think Durdin is AFl fit yet, judging by the comments. Newman is excellent at organising the side defensively. And he kicks it beautifully which with the man on the mark rules will be a real weapon. I think Newman also frees up Doc, which they will want. People have been furious they haven’t played Setters. Well now after a month in the vfl he gets his chance.

TDK will be in soon enough. Probably not the day for him today against big Max.

No. I said he's shown he's had a good defensive side of the game in the past. That's not saying why he's out of the team.

Lol. OK. How do you know its because of his running? It could be his kicking, it could be his attitude, could be his positioning around stoppages? How do you know why and what his issues are with holding his spot? You on the MC? I think a few of us would like a word if you are.
You dont have to be Einstein to see it... Not hard in the contests and they have pushed him back in Defence, why?? Maybe to learn the defenders craft and when to push off and attack from your man maybe? My point is obviously he has things to work on, and hes not a midfielder yet..

Cop out. His best games when he's played in the middle he tackles and defends perfectly well, same story in his underage years.
Correct and even heard Teague on radio last week as drove to game, virtually admit he thought SPS could be another McLeod from backline. Not sure why Teague ever thought that. Different styles of players. SPS has always looked a guy in traffic that can open up options, not a rebounding defender. It worries me what other young players Teague and other coaches have pigeon holed so wrong. The only good thing was he also virtually admitted last week he got that wrong and no longer trying to turn SPS into a back line player.

If I see Setterfield lining up on the wing...

Newman in defence will be interesting; I think we’ll try to turn their tall forward line into a liability and run it out with he, Williams, Doc, Stocker, etc.
They’ll probably try do the same to us.

To be honest, I’ve got little faith in us being a genuinely dangerous team with the current midfield; unless Setterfield, Dow, Stocker, Cuningham and a few others begin to consistently impact games, it’ll be more of the same. Too much left to too few.

Your missing my whole point of why maybe they sent sps in defense in the 1st place.. I agree i dont see him as a defender, but maybe, just maybe they sent him there to try and teach him things...
I think it's part that. I wasn't objecting to those points I was objecting to being lectured by a poster as if they knew the exact reason why, when there's enough info around to cast doubt on any one reason wrt Sps. Teague wanting his own mcleod, Sps having exposed good defensive form at various stages in his career, just things like that that make his situation really hard to be definitive about.

It’s not really that baffling. I think this week is fine, bar Murph. The two outs have been down on form. I feel somewhat relaxed about Muprh Vs Recent Gibbo. I’d prefer Honey to Murph but I think they just want to see a bit more. They celery don’t think Durdin is AFl fit yet, judging by the comments. Newman is excellent at organising the side defensively. And he kicks it beautifully which with the man on the mark rules will be a real weapon. I think Newman also frees up Doc, which they will want. People have been furious they haven’t played Setters. Well now after a month in the vfl he gets his chance.

This…

Surely we can't count McGovern as a fit marking forward. Deadset hasn't been fit in his career at Carlton.

Honestly having Casboult in the side right now is playing a man down. No amount of structural requirements should justify that selection. You play your in form and most deserving 22 and adapt.
His kicking for goal is down, but he's doing everything else right.

Can you explain how Williams keeps his spot after last week and the fact he hasn't got a body of work at this club yet to back it up? What message does that send to the playing group? That performance is acceptable?

What about Levi? Not the day for TDK are you suggesting it's the day for Pitto and/or Levi to go against him? They couldn't even match it with a 2nd gamer last week and even got showed up by a 1st gamer the week before.

I like Newman but he's played what? 2 reserves games after being out for so long. Hope he's ready.

And as I said, at least they've dropped Gibbo and Newnes which is good but to bring Murphy in instead of Honey or even Durdin is a joke.

So yeah, I respectfully disagree with you there, it is really baffling that some are allowed to under perform consistently yet remain in the side despite there being options to replace them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some players have really struggled this year, such as the likes of Willo, but many players coming in and out of the side are very much interchangeable considering their output

Again, we have no one currently that can play Levi's role, with TDK still finding touch, form and fitness

Yeah yeah, just like Owies wasn't ready...

Until the whipping boys are dropped, many will blame selection rather than the core issues. The nex phase will be blaming a lack of development because younger players will continue to be inconsistent

Just the same revolving door of ins and outs

Can you explain how Williams keeps his spot after last week and the fact he hasn't got a body of work at this club yet to back it up? What message does that send to the playing group? That performance is acceptable?

What about Levi? Not the day for TDK are you suggesting it's the day for Pitto and/or Levi to go against him? They couldn't even match it with a 2nd gamer last week and even got showed up by a 1st gamer the week before.

I like Newman but he's played what? 2 reserves games after being out for so long. Hope he's ready.

And as I said, at least they've dropped Gibbo and Newnes which is good but to bring Murphy in instead of Honey or even Durdin is a joke.

So yeah, I respectfully disagree with you there, it is really baffling that some are allowed to under perform consistently yet remain in the side despite there being options to replace them.

And yet you say TDK should be our ruck?

Yes because we can still comfortably cover for Newman, we cannot continue to cover for Casboult we should be dropping him for his performances this year.
I think Casboult keeps his spot to play his 150th and spare TDK a trial by fire against Gawn. Should be next week or the week after he comes in (unless Casboult has a blinder).

with regards omitting Honey I agree he’s a far better option the Murphy.
I certainly hope your reason for being omitted isn’t shared by selection committee. he and Owies have chased, tackled, harassed and kicked goals and brought more positives to our forward half than Murphy and Gibbons...omitting Honey confirms our player development is suspect...sends a message there’s a lack of ability and dents their confidence which isn’t positive going forward which is why we have a development predicament with Setters, Kennedy, Dow, Cunningham etc..
Look at Sydney, they blooded 3-4 players last year and they continue to select them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back