Preview Changes / Pre-game Discussion for Rd 9 (Dons in Vic)

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
There is an air of frustration and a lack of patience about the freo fanbase at the moment. J-Lo needs to deliver a victory today to give everyone something to hang our hat on.
Watching Hogan kick a bag against the premiers last night is a gut punch for the freo faithful.
For me it’s been a meh season so far. Nothing has gotten me jumping out of my seat in excitement. We have won games we should win (unconvincingly at times) and been demoralisingly thrashed when any hint of adversity for the opposition rears it’s head.
Injuries are no excuse today. Essendon are also missing some quality players including stringer, Shiel Hurley and even their young star Nik Cox is out.
No. Excuses. Today.
Get it done

FreoMatt

All Australian
Aug 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Blakely was good last week, granted. At the end of the day he was the last mid added (not replacing another mid either) and you’ve got Cerra coming back. It is hard to fit Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, Cerra, Brayshaw and Serong all through the same midfield.

The obvious solution is Fyfe goes forward ... but until you can trust his goal kicking more - he has to spend most his time on ball.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree difficult to fit in, but Bulldogs seem to be able to do it. Also one thing I have noticed all year is our key mids (mentioned above), spend 5-10% less time on the ground than all other teams mids (even the bulldogs), but guys like Shultz/Crowden spend way more time on the ground.....we need to have our best players on the ground more often

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Also one thing I have noticed all year is our key mids (mentioned above), spend 5-10% less time on the ground than all other teams mids (even the bulldogs), but guys like Shultz/Crowden spend way more time on the ground.....we need to have our best players on the ground more often

That is a good point, why do we do this? It certainly isn't helping their two way running, our midfield have been defensively lacking. Serong is routinely off the field for more than a quarter a week.

FreoMatt

All Australian
Aug 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Missed last weeks game then i guess??
Crowden had 3 almost perfect kicks to leading players that resulted in goals.
At least he doesnt bomb it in long.....I thought we were trying to stop doing that??....

Sorry I turned off at half time as that point Crowden had done nothing. Also so far this year he is 17th for average score involvements for the team, way too low for a small forward. A good average WAFL player has one decent game every 3-4 weeks in AFL to help keep his spot in the side but does nothing in the other games. I put Shultz on that category as well. These guys need to do it every week if we are going to get better....

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry I turned off at half time as that point Crowden had done nothing. Also so far this year he is 17th for average score involvements for the team, way too low for a small forward. A good average WAFL player has one decent game every 3-4 weeks in AFL to help keep his spot in the side but does nothing in the other games. I put Shultz on that category as well. These guys need to do it every week if we are going to get better....

He's played 28 games. Schultz probably similar. They play small forward roles. In every team that ever existed, small forwards don't touch the thing when the team is getting smashed. We got smashed both of the last two weeks.

Did you ever wonder why Puopolo kicked more than 20 goals in every season bar one from 2012-2016 and didn't do it again after?

They aren't going to be 22 game performers until they are more experienced and the midfield and defence allow them to get in the game more.

....if you don’t need him to kick more than 25m he is an ok kick and also he’s not as quick as Conca

Disagree on both counts.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Shiel Hurley and even their young star Nik Cox is out.
No. Excuses. Today.
Get it done
Think you might be confusing obvious potential with actual effectiveness. Kid might be showing he can play but a common or garden experienced player like Zaharakis will likely contribute more to actual victory for Essendon.

1621129286578.png

Paracleet

Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
He's played 28 games. Schultz probably similar. They play small forward roles. In every team that ever existed, small forwards don't touch the thing when the team is getting smashed. We got smashed both of the last two weeks.

Did you ever wonder why Puopolo kicked more than 20 goals in every season bar one from 2012-2016 and didn't do it again after?

They aren't going to be 22 game performers until they are more experienced and the midfield and defence allow them to get in the game more.

Disagree on both counts.
It was absolutely fair criticism to point out he had done nothing to half time. People hanging his hat on score involvements need to bare in mind they were all after the game had been lost.
Whilst conversely it is fair to point out forwards come out looking the bad in losses where the midfield should be carrying the can, Crowden is playing high half forward and is therefore very much part of our problem we're having with our team defense at the moment. I don't think he is putting on enough pressure acts or zoning off correctly. In fairness, again, he's not Johnny on his own there, but he is the least talented of the players playing wing and HHF.
If it was me I'd send Walters up high (I.E. goes to midfield stoppages and the pushes forward) and Crowden to left right out. The coaches obviously don't agree so I have to consider the possibility I'm wrong. 3 defensive forwards seems a bit much though even in a side with its options limited by injury and the overall young age of the list.

FreoMatt

All Australian
Aug 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle

Disagree on both counts.

I realise small forwards is a hard role to play and that is why you need guys with a little bit of X factor so when they do get their scarce opportunity they can use their skills to beat the opposition one on one and create goals.....neither Crowden or Shultz have that X factor, they are good honest battlers, not the sort of player you need in a small forward role......if you are happy with what Crowden and Shultz are currently giving the team, then give up on any silverware for the foreseeable future.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was absolutely fair criticism to point out he had done nothing to half time. People hanging his hat on score involvements need to bare in mind they were all after the game had been lost.
Whilst conversely it is fair to point out forwards come out looking the bad in losses where the midfield should be carrying the can, Crowden is playing high half forward and is therefore very much part of our problem we're having with our team defense at the moment. I don't think he is putting on enough pressure acts or zoning off correctly. In fairness, again, he's not Johnny on his own there, but he is the least talented of the players playing wing and HHF.
If it was me I'd send Walters up high (I.E. goes to midfield stoppages and the pushes forward) and Crowden to left right out. The coaches obviously don't agree so I have to consider the possibility I'm wrong. 3 defensive forwards seems a bit much though even in a side with its options limited by injury and the overall young age of the list.
I can't tell from the TV what they are doing to be honest and I don't know their instructions anyway to know if they are doing what they are asked. It is unmistakable that when your midfield gets smashed, your small forwards are non-events. Since clubs don't pump top 5 picks into small forwards every year I can only assume that it a symptom and not a cause.

He is also clearly the most talented of the pressure forwards (unless you include Henry) with ball in hand. Best decision maker, best kick and the only one who has range in their kicking. His problem isn't class, it is getting the ball.

I realise small forwards is a hard role to play and that is why you need guys with a little bit of X factor so when they do get their scarce opportunity they can use their skills to beat the opposition one on one and create goals.....neither Crowden or Shultz have that X factor, they are good honest battlers, not the sort of player you need in a small forward role......if you are happy with what Crowden and Shultz are currently giving the team, then give up on any silverware for the foreseeable future.

We have Walters and Henry who are X-factor players and what do you know, they go missing in the forward line with the rest of the HFs when the team gets smashed.

Your last statement is a massive blob of hyperbole. You'll have to enlighten me on how you connected those dots.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Think you might be confusing obvious potential with actual effectiveness. Kid might be showing he can play but a common or garden experienced player like Zaharakis will likely contribute more to actual victory for Essendon.

View attachment 1128976
Probably a fair point but we shouldn’t be pointing to the absence of Chapman, Sturt, and even Young or Frederick as a factor in that case either.

FreoMatt

All Australian
Aug 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't tell from the TV what they are doing to be honest and I don't know their instructions anyway to know if they are doing what they are asked. It is unmistakable that when your midfield gets smashed, your small forwards are non-events. Since clubs don't pump top 5 picks into small forwards every year I can only assume that it a symptom and not a cause.

He is also clearly the most talented of the pressure forwards (unless you include Henry) with ball in hand. Best decision maker, best kick and the only one who has range in their kicking. His problem isn't class, it is getting the ball.

We have Walters and Henry who are X-factor players and what do you know, they go missing in the forward line with the rest of the HFs when the team gets smashed.

Your last statement is a massive blob of hyperbole. You'll have to enlighten me on how you connected those dots.

You are kidding me. My assessment of Shultz and Crowden isn’t just based on one losing game, it’s based on what they have done to this point in their career and sorry they are not the answer. As I said if your are happy with what Shultz and Crowden are dishing up every week then you may as well give up.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle

Small forwards don’t win you silverware. I’m not as keen on Crowden as some, but he is a long way down the list of things to worry about.

It is our midfield & goal kicking that is killing us when we lose big. The midfield is the part of the team that has all the high profile & big money names. The poor goal kicking is often from some of our most experienced players.

For mine, those are the priority areas to get right. Inexperienced small forwards will come and go as the list turns over.

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
Also so far this year he is 17th for average score involvements for the team
And leads the team for average Goal Assists.........And is 4th for total GA's....from only 4 games :)
Since I have been on this board, one of the biggest things we always gone off about is our forward entries..."Stop bombing it in".....Crowden hits leading targets.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Count me as another baffled by the Blakely non selection. His attack on the contested ball last week was a big part of us winning the second half. Normally when Fyfe goes forward we lose around the contests but with Connor in we lost nothing. Was MUCH better than Tucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tucker was stuck in defence where, IMO at least, he is ****.

Telling, I think, that Blakely's best game in ages came when he had a kick to handball ratio of 1-7.

I honestly dont mind Langdon most of the time but lol at that article
- Should trade Cerra for Cripps/Bolton and be bold, then like 3 paragraphs later;
- Should remember the Hogan trade and not trade for stars...

Its a special kind of special to contradict yourself in the space half a page of newspaper text

ozzie69

All Australian
Jun 28, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Completely agree with this. Given we have been getting bossed in the contest, Blakely showed he can cut it as a tough inside mid. Don't bother him with half back. As inside mid he brings exactly the grunt we need.
Count me as another baffled by the Blakely non selection. His attack on the contested ball last week was a big part of us winning the second half. Normally when Fyfe goes forward we lose around the contests but with Connor in we lost nothing. Was MUCH better than Tucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I honestly dont mind Langdon most of the time but lol at that article
- Should trade Cerra for Cripps/Bolton and be bold, then like 3 paragraphs later;
- Should remember the Hogan trade and not trade for stars...

Its a special kind of special to contradict yourself in the space half a page of newspaper text
I suspect Karl probably knows more about what Jesse was doing on weekends than us and in that sense there is probably no way to compare him to the other two (Cripps esp), but one of those two just got in an off-field altercation (however minor) and the other supposedly playing with a broken back at 26 yo.

Surely we aren't going back to that well?

Paracleet

Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
The difference between him and say Shultz is Shultz is playing at the feet of the forwards and pushing up to pressure, Crowden is doing the opposite. I.E. he is as much part of the midfield as a forward and shares some of the midfielders blame. For what it worth I agree his ball use is good and his decision making is fine. However not only does he not get enough of it he is not contributing enough with the ball not in hand. I don't think he's going to make it. His positive attributes don't do enough to make up for his limitations. BTW I don't think Schultz is going to make it long term either. As a defensive forward I just don't think he defends well enough (which is much about the space you fill and your running patterns as for pressure acts) relative to his attacking contribution (moderate).

Back