List Mgmt. What Do We Need to Make Finals in 2022

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
JL was coaching ball retention pushing it away from the corridor
May see a more expansive backline set up particularly if you can keep your best users on the park

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
JL was coaching ball retention pushing it away from the corridor
May see a more expansive backline set up particularly if you can keep your best users on the park

Is this the first training report of the year?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure I’ll be repeating what I’ve probably posted a number of times in this thread before - get some quality forwards!!! Ones that can kick goals ffs!

That and somehow change our bad luck with injuries.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Stop trading in players when we are rebuilding.
Commit to a rebuild, so we don't * up the next flag push.
Trading in Lobb, Hogan, Wilson, Aish and co have cost us 4 draft picks for this rebuild. Trading in Tarrant cost us Ben Reid, Jack Reiwoldt level player in the last flag push.
Accept we win a flag in the next 4 years and trade out players older than 27.

Draft quality forwards who kick straight. The only natural forward in our squad is walters

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty sure I’ll be repeating what I’ve probably posted a number of times in this thread before - get some quality forwards!!! Ones that can kick goals ffs!

That and somehow change our bad luck with injuries.
Pretty much.

Commit to a rebuild, so we don't fu** up the next flag push.
Trading in Lobb, Hogan, Wilson, Aish and co have cost us 4 draft picks for this rebuild. Trading in Tarrant cost us Ben Reid, Jack Reiwoldt level player in the last flag push.

Draft quality forwards who kick straight. The only natural forward in our squad is walters
Lobb and Hogan are the problem. Aish and Wilson are meh. We might have got a better player with the pick but unlikely, especially Aish.

Sturt is definitely a forward and I think Henry will show in time he is.

Agree with the rest.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Aish and Wilson are meh. We might have got a better player with the pick but unlikely, especially Aish.
For me it is more about the age of Aish and Wilson, when we are next in the premiership windows than there ability.

Sturt is definitely a forward and I think Henry will show in time he is.
Agree with Sturt, was only really thinking of our 22 at the time. Not sure about Henry, I think he will be a good player but it will either be a winger, outside mid or maybe half forward.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle

Devil is in the detail in terms of trades.

I would be trading at the right price with the right player.

Trading in sub 25 aged players should be part of a rebuild.

The big trades we should avoid. No Croads, Tarrants, and Hogans as you said.

Aish and Wilson were ok trades which brought in two skillful players and only giving second round draft picks or downgrade of a second round pick.

I would be moving on Hamling and Hill due to not being able to get on the park.

Hamling would get us much in terms of picks but we could get extra cap space.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
For me it is more about the age of Aish and Wilson, when we are next in the premiership windows than there ability.
Aish is fine, he is only 25. If we don't think 25 yo can contribute then not only have we ****ed this rebuild, but possibly the next one as well. Perfect example of a 15-22 player in a quality side. Nothing flashy, but tidy and consistent. Also doesn't matter if he ages towards the end and is replaced.

Wilson maybe, but at the time he made sense. I think if we didn't do the Hogan and Lobb trades and drafted instead, then we'd be happy for the extra experience now. I could go either way happily.

Agree with Sturt, was only really thinking of our 22 at the time. Not sure about Henry, I think he will be a good player but it will either be a winger, outside mid or maybe half forward.
Henry isn't a pressure forward. He is very similar to Walters.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers

There's always a place for bringing in quality players at the right price.

If Bradley or Griffin play in the 2013 GF instead of Zach Clarke we probably win.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
There's always a place for bringing in quality players at the right price.

If Bradley or Griffin play in the 2013 GF instead of Zach Clarke we probably win.
If we finish the finals, are on the way up with a young core and identify 2 or 3 players to too us up then yes.

Not when we are a bottom 6 team. Plus decent identify good players.

chinggis77

Club Legend
May 14, 2008
Germany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Probably already mentioned somewhere in the thread but how about changing the title to "what do we need to do to win a premiership in the next 10 years". Talk about aiming low!

Need more quality in the midfield (Mundy won't be there for our first premiership)/depth and better forwards all around (smalls/talls) and better tactics on forward entries.

Once Pearce and Hamling are back, I wouldn't mind seeing Griffin Logue tried in a midfield/wing role. Has the tank, fantastic athleticism. We need to unearth a few diamonds in the rough either through the draft or finding a Kouta (i.e. average player who turns into an A-grader when played in a different role).

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like St kilda just did?
Saints were a bit different. They went on their trade recruiting spree in 2019 after a bottom 6 finish and it lifted them to 6th or 7th last year but that was them maxing out.
We could finish 7th or 8th without any trading then identify the trade targets to lift us into the top 4?
In theory at least. Nothing wrong with the draft approach either

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Saints were a bit different. They went on their trade recruiting spree in 2019 after a bottom 6 finish and it lifted them to 6th or 7th last year but that was them maxing out.
We could finish 7th or 8th without any trading then identify the trade targets to lift us into the top 4?
They went again last year with Crouch and some others after making finals.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I feel like the Saints (and Blues) just signed whoever was available, regardless of whether the player made sense or was worth the coin.

If someone of quality or undervalued comes up, that's fine but I don't want us signing players just because they are available.

We need patience. We aren't building a team for 2022, we are building for 2022-2032.

Back