Autopsy Autopsy vs Hawthorn (W) - Rd 9. 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

The structure was rubbish.

I think there was a fair element of players adjusting to the new game plan with regards to positioning, decision making etc that made the game plan well let's say look muddled and with the lack of continuity with the playing list, you'd have to say it was expected in hindsight.

I definitely think their has been tweaks in the game plan but that's normal for a new coach trying to work out the strengths of the team.

To win with so many of our starting 18 out, was pretty special.

Don’t know about anyone else but I was feeling very nervous in the last minute when Hall and Atley were trying to wind the clock down in the back half.
So glad they kept it together and then orchestrated a good clearing effort.
Both played really well.
Atley did what Atley does....... run, stop, prop and poo pants.

Had the chance to take territory and shat himself as usual.

Hall bailed him out from turning it over.

Someone needs to teach him how to kick low, flat, hard stab-pass-like drop punts. Its the major weakness in his game. And he could make it such a weapon given where he and how he plays.

Ive said IRL early in the season this type of kick we might see much more of, given the man on the mark rule which opens up far more options. Players who master the finger breaking worm burners could be taking 20-40m with very low risk.

Was at the game yesterday. Was so much fun!

Agree with a lot of what’s been said here. A great win given the head start. We still don’t make many greens in regulation - i.e goals don’t come easy most of the time. Defence and midfield looking great, the half forward/forward transition not there yet, think it’s more related to cattle rather than anything else. Agree Larkey needs a number 1 to play alongside of. Despite an excellent scoreboard return, TBH CZ looked devoid of confidence most of the day, hope yesterday kick starts something. Bring on next week!

How does Cunners express this? A series of grunts? Chinese burn? Nipple cripple?
iu

solid win, I half expected it.

Kangaroos4eva posted on one or 2 threads on the main board.....

Norths 3 top clearence players....

Cunnington
Jy Simpkin
LDU.

Cunnington is the veteran mid that turns 30 next month. I say he has at least 2, possibly 3 solid years left. North will keep him for experience.

Simpkin and LDU are both aged 23 or under. Basically in 2-3 years time, by the time cunnignton is retired, both of those blokes should be in their prime. Sounds like a plan.

I didnt think North were going to go 0-22. Dead certain they were going to at least beat essendon once this season. People crap on about North Culling the list last season.

North had one of 2 options....

Option A: Play the older list cloggers and get beaten by 30 points each week.

Option B: Play the youth and lose by 50 each week.

North Chose option B. It was a wise call looking in a Long term view.

Playing the list cloggers means there would be a certain level the club would reach. There would be little improvement or no improvement at all.

Playing the youth means the sky is the limit for some of those younger blokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

basically....

Just be happy you guys got the win. It wasnt just a normal win. It was a massive psychological win.

So many pearls of wisdom. Where do I start?

You're lecturing about football to the people that invented it mate. Think about that for a minute.

It's amazing what weird tangents some conversations on football can take.

Personally I think "The Écstasy Of Gold" is the greatest piece of music ever written.

And here was I thinking it would be Whip It or Beautiful World.

basically....

Just be happy you guys got the win. It wasnt just a normal win. It was a massive psychological win.
We beat 17th, by a goal, with some favourable umpiring decisions in the last quarter going our way. We won, but I wouldn't call it massive.

So many pearls of wisdom. Where do I start?

You're lecturing about football to the people that invented it mate. Think about that for a minute.
Probably....

The point is, Look at the crows this time last year, they were 0-13. It hurts the team psychologically. Once the crows got that elusive 1st win, they played better footy.

Dont get me wrong, I hated it when freo were 0-10 in 2016.

I still remembered the 2017 season when freo got belted by geelong at home by 40 points and Port in Adelaide oval by 89 points. Despite scoring 8.8.56, freo didnt have one mark inside 50 vs Port. 6 days later Freo beat the dogs 13.11.89 to 10.13.73. Freo won 6 out of 7 games from rounds 3-9. One of them was a win vs the tigers at the MCG.

I seriously think our 1st win would come at round 9 vs Carlton with the form we had after the port loss.

Probably....

The point is, Look at the crows this time last year, they were 0-13. It hurts the team psychologically. Once the crows got that elusive 1st win, they played better footy.

Dont get me wrong, I hated it when freo were 0-10 in 2016.

I still remembered the 2017 season when freo got belted by geelong at home by 40 points and Port in Adelaide oval by 89 points. Despite scoring 8.8.56, freo didnt have one mark inside 50 vs Port. 6 days later Freo beat the dogs 13.11.89 to 10.13.73. Freo won 6 out of 7 games from rounds 3-9. One of them was a win vs the tigers at the MCG.

I seriously think our 1st win would come at round 9 vs Carlton with the form we had after the port loss.

I've heard it all already mate. Thanks.

The Lark Ascending is wonderful, but that's a good call. How many times do you hear Beethoven's 9th, or Ride of the Valkyries or Handel's Messiah and it just goes in one ear and out the other, or worse feels like a cliché? But then sometimes you take the time to really listen and think 'fu**, that's actually really good'
Just heard Khachaturian's Spartacus and Phrygia on a coffee ad, that's another good one.

What was the coffee like? 😆

I got pretty tense and emotional watching in the last qtr as I didn’t want to waste the opportunity for a win as we’ll probably won’t get too many more chances during the season. So wrapped for the players and coaches who have worked really hard in recent weeks to be a competitive unit and really that’s where it all starts. Winning games is reward for hard work and effort. We all know where we are at and understand it’s going to take a bit of time but you still need the odd win for the feel-good factor and validation. Great scenes after the match, really enjoyed seeing the whole club smile again.

solid win, I half expected it.

Kangaroos4eva posted on one or 2 threads on the main board.....

Norths 3 top clearence players....

Cunnington
Jy Simpkin
LDU.

Cunnington is the veteran mid that turns 30 next month. I say he has at least 2, possibly 3 solid years left. North will keep him for experience.

Simpkin and LDU are both aged 23 or under. Basically in 2-3 years time, by the time cunnignton is retired, both of those blokes should be in their prime. Sounds like a plan.

I didnt think North were going to go 0-22. Dead certain they were going to at least beat essendon once this season. People crap on about North Culling the list last season.

North had one of 2 options....

Option A: Play the older list cloggers and get beaten by 30 points each week.

Option B: Play the youth and lose by 50 each week.

North Chose option B. It was a wise call looking in a Long term view.

Playing the list cloggers means there would be a certain level the club would reach. There would be little improvement or no improvement at all.

Playing the youth means the sky is the limit for some of those younger blokes.

I agree it could be a monkey off the back type of thing. Given our injuries and players coming back post bye I can see us winning another 3-4 games this year.

In 2 years time our midfield looks pretty dam good.

Cunners 31
Anderson 29
Simpkin 25
LDU 24
Stephenson 24
Thomas 23
Powell 21
Phillips 21
Horne/Sonsie/Sinn etc 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back