Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I love how we now have 6-7 players who hardly touch the ball week in week out but do their “roles” well.

Apparently part of a “role” is awful skills, dropping marks, missing tackles and basically having no input 3 weeks in a row.

As you said Bev backs his boys and always will but Hannan has been poor at best. Wallis would do as much easily

If we have 6-7 passengers every week, how do you explain that we are 8-1 and second on the ladder?

We’ve literally lost 1 game by 22 points to the back to back reigning premier on their home deck after being out played for half a match.

I’m not suggesting we are going to win the premiership, but we are a very good side having a very good season to date.

Rookie

Premiership Player
May 12, 2004
Globetrotting
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The thing that struck me the most about the game was the contributions of guys closer to our bottom six. Scott, Weightman, McNeil and Roarke brought finals-level pressure. JJ also contributed a lot and seems to be adjusting well to his new role. Cordy also had his best game in a long time. If we are getting these kinds of efforts from our bottom six, we'll go a long way in finals.

I didn't notice Hannan much so can't comment on his pressure and I wasn't impressed with Lipinski's game, but you'd hope we have players back come finals. West probably deserves an extended run in Lipinski's role.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Yes. Bev backs his players when criticised by putting a positive spin on things from time to time. But that’s not what happened here.

If Bev thought Hannan played poorly, why would he proactively praise him (without being prompted) in the first minutes of the press conference?

Hannan was literally the first player Bev referred to and said he played “extremely well.” They are his words, not mine.

Hannan had a role to play and played it extremely well according to the coach who defined the role.

You just watched on TV with no certainty of said role or visibility over the player for the whole game.

The reality is that even good teams have 4-6 role players of limited ability (relatively speaking). They just need to perform their role to a good level and consistent to the team plan. Hannan clearly did this according to our premiership winning and most successful VFL/AFL coach in 100 years.

That’s enough for me. I will back the judgement of the coach who has us at 8-1 on the ladder.
And sometimes he preemptively praises a player before the question is asked.

But good on you bro. Absolutely your prerogative to back the coach. A little boring and quite sycophantic but probably the right call.

Don't really care to be honest. I'm happy to have my own opinion and probably get it wrong my fair share but that's the point of a footy forum in the first place. Otherwise there'd be one thread posting the club press releases.

Hannan is pretty obviously playing Richard's role from last year. Run like hell, create space, block for the other forwards and add pressure. This requires a strong body and plenty of speed. Bev is obviously happy for Hannan to do this whilst not adding anything offensively or sticking tackles. I'm not, I'd rather a player who doesn't wreck everything as soon as he gets near the ball or gets stepped every time he goes in for a tackle.

I guess we'll see how long he lasts if he keeps up this form and we have more players available.

Also bro you need to chill. It's a forum for discussion not a mutual back patting exercise. You can question a coach and disagree with what they do whilst still supporting the side. It'd be boring if all we did was agree.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

But good on you bro. Absolutely your prerogative to back the coach. A little boring and quite sycophantic but probably the right call.

Don't really care to be honest. I'm happy to have my own opinion and probably get it wrong my fair share but that's the point of a footy forum in the first place. Otherwise there'd be one thread posting the club press releases.

Hannan is pretty obviously playing Richard's role from last year. Run like hell, create space, block for the other forwards and add pressure. This requires a strong body and plenty of speed. Bev is obviously happy for Hannan to do this whilst not adding anything offensively or sticking tackles. I'm not, I'd rather a player who doesn't wreck everything as soon as he gets near the ball or gets stepped every time he goes in for a tackle.

I guess we'll see how long he lasts if he keeps up this form and we have more players available.

Also bro you need to chill. It's a forum for discussion not a mutual back patting exercise. You can question a coach and disagree with what they do whilst still supporting the side. It'd be boring if all we did was agree.

Some of the people in here are more than happy to carry on about the level of “bullying” some on here do towards players and coach while at the same time slamming any poster in here that dares disagree with them, constantly trying to bait them or belittling them.

Do you think they understand the irony or are just oblivious?

One of them actually said we are a “family” while continually sh!t canning other posters who don’t agree with everything the club does. They are also very obviously not around when we are losing or lose.

Hindsight hero’s is my name for them now lol

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory

My view is that Hannan is a fringe or depth player at the moment and fighting to cement his spot in the side, so it will be interesting.

I’m a realist - he has a fight on his hands if we have a full list to choose from and someone needs to make way for English in the forward line.

I suspect your opinion is not too different.

I would describe backing our coach as the smart thing to do given his record and the team’s ladder position.

You can express your uneducated differing opinion all you like; it doesn’t mean we need to agree with it.

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Some of the people in here are more than happy to carry on about the level of “bullying” some on here do towards players and coach while at the same time slamming any poster in here that dares disagree with them, constantly trying to bait them or belittling them.

Do you think they understand the irony or are just oblivious?

One of them actually said we are a “family” while continually sh!t canning other posters who don’t agree with everything the club does. They are also very obviously not around when we are losing or lose.

Hindsight hero’s is my name for them now lol

When we lose this is the most miserable place on earth because of the doom and gloom narrative you, Mike and some limited others describe.

Just because you’re not on the forum doesn’t mean you’re not supporting the club. There are far more supporters out there than just on this forum.

Have a read of Mike’s post if you want sight of belittling and bullying (“boring, sychophantic”) language.

The reality is that you come from an ill-informed and uneducated position (as do I) and have very little idea what is going on inside the tent.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
My view is that Hannan is a fringe or depth player at the moment and fighting to cement his spot in the side, so it will be interesting.

I’m a realist - he has a fight on his hands if we have a full list to choose from and someone needs to make way for English in the forward line.

I suspect your opinion is not too different.

I would describe backing our coach as the smart thing to do given his record and the team’s ladder position.

You can express your uneducated differing opinion all you like; it doesn’t mean we need to agree with it.
You just said our opinions aren't too different after basically describing my opinion in different words and then called my opinion uneducated. Ohkay. Fair enough.

Never said you had to agree. Actually advocated for the exact opposite. You okay mate?

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
You just said our opinions aren't too different after basically describing my opinion in different words and then called my opinion uneducated. Ohkay. Fair enough.

Never said you had to agree. Actually advocated for the exact opposite. You okay mate?

My opinion is also uneducated in the sense that I don’t work at the club, have no formal training in coaching at the level, and nor do I have access to the information required to make a full and proper assessment.

My previous posts in the chain related to Bev’s publicly stated view on Hannan’s performance. That’s the distinction.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Lol I’ve actually given up one those that just lie and twist words to match the narrative of the group think in here.

Again they have no idea of the irony of post to post. It’s hilarious how blind some of them are.

Anyway great win last night in the end. Very mature second half

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
My opinion is also uneducated in the sense that I don’t work at the club, have no formal training in coaching at the level, and nor do I have access to the information required to make a full and proper assessment.

My previous posts in the chain related to Bev’s publicly stated view on Hannan’s performance. That’s the distinction.
That's the point of a forum bro.
We're all idiots discussing footy.

There'd be no discussion if all we did was agree with those in charge.

We're all different and we all express our support differently. Passion is passion. Get off your high horse mate. We all love the club and want what's best for it. Just because we express it differently doesn't make it less valid. You enjoy supporting your way and others can support theirs.

I wonder if Bev mentioned Hannan in the presser first because he feels under pressure to defend him, externally or internally? We saw what happened with Gowers last year.

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I find it cringe. At first I thought it was a cool idea but it’s done. I can have a real party pooper mentality but I’m embarrassed for everyone who’s doing the scarf thing.

I think it’s the lack of originality that makes it unbecoming.
Trying to artificially recreate a soccer tradition that evolved organically out of a club tragedy is completely classless and singing a love ballad before a football game is stupid.
So it perfectly encapsulates the average port supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Trying to artificially recreate a soccer tradition that evolved organically out of a club tragedy is completely classless and singing a love ballad before a football game is stupid.
So it perfectly encapsulates the average port supporter.

Are you referring to Liverpool and YNWA?

That had absolutely zero connection to any tragedy. Liverpool fans first sung the song in the mid 60s and the Hillsborough Tragedy was in 1989

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
I think it's plausible that Hannan is playing parts of his role well. Maybe stuff that the average fan doesn't notice. But even if that's the case, it's still reasonable for posters like Mike and MD to expect a bit more from him. There's no reason he can't win a few more contests while still doing the stuff that makes the coach happy. You don't have to be a professional analyst to see Hannan lose too many winnable contests, drop marks and fail to complete tackles. He might be doing well enough to please the coaches while still having areas of his game that he needs to improve on.

Southern 8

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hannan didn’t have things go his way sometimes last night but he wasn’t terrible did some good things and obviously from Bevo played the role the coach asked for. It seems that there always has to be a player even in a great win posters have to stick the boot into. Mostly the fringe best 22 guys. Not sure what is expected from them. Cordy, Roarke, Scott, McNeill, JJ (recent examples) played to well so Hannan it is.

I heard a discussion outlining the reasons for their use of the song recently (on the ABC, I think). It went thus:

The "Never Tear Us Apart" thing is a reaction to the AFL's decision to refuse Port the right to wear the prison bar guernsey.

Port - and their fans, of course - argue that the AFL Port is an extension of the Port Adelaide Magpies, and should be able to wear the prison bars except where it clashes with Collingwood.

The AFL disagrees. It sees them as separate - effectively unrelated - entities.

The song is Port's reaction to being forced into this separation.

I can empathise with them to some degree.

Thats part of the story but its a revisionist take that conveniently aligns with their desire to wear the prison bar guernsey.

Just do a quick google image search and see how much teal is to be seen in the earlier versions of the scarfs being waved about. Its only in recent times that the scarf has become predominantly Black and White with a nod to the bars on each end. Gotta churn and sell that merch.

The actual story is that after visiting Anfield in 2012 Port executives came up with the clever idea of replicating what Liverpool have done with “You’ll Never Walk Alone” and transplanting it to Australia. They just needed a song. It was at this point that they decided on "Never tear us apart" after Channel 7 had been heavily promoting their Michael Hutchence biography, where that turgid song was front and centre during its saturation of the airwaves for the upcoming TV event. Port saw this as a fitting song that neatly dovetailed into the settling of long held internal issues that had been around since the AFL side became a seperate entity to its SANFL forbears. It was at this point that the club saw itself as one again. They tried it out hoping for the best and it resonated with the fans, who lets face it have nothing much else to do immediately prior to the game. The rest is history and a chance for me to get astride one of my many football related hobby horses.

I'll stop now.

Last edited:

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Having watched Bontempelli's goal in the first quarter a number of times on replay, I love the way he brushes aside Connor Rozee's hand before kicking the ball, as if to indicate, "What are you doing, Rozee? How do you expect me to kick a brilliant goal if you're grabbing my jumper?"

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don't need all the "facts" to see someone struggling to complete a simple chest mark or hold a tackle.

It's nice he does a bunch of unrewarded decoy running and blocks. But I'd like someone who doesn't stuff up scoring chains whenever they go near the ball.
Must be watching a different game pretty sure he kicked a goal so didn’t stuff that up

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's been the same player three weeks in a row. That excuse works against Port and I'll even give you the Tigers but Carlton? Nah bro.

Simple. Bev always backs his players publicly. Especially when they've just been traded in or picked for a specific task. See Gowers, Billy.
You need to watch the Blues game again in particular the last quarter

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we have 6-7 passengers every week, how do you explain that we are 8-1 and second on the ladder?

We’ve literally lost 1 game by 22 points to the back to back reigning premier on their home deck after being out played for half a match.

I’m not suggesting we are going to win the premiership, but we are a very good side having a very good season to date.
He can’t explain it

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

And you need to stop patronising

flipper83

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I heard a discussion outlining the reasons for their use of the song recently (on the ABC, I think). It went thus:

The "Never Tear Us Apart" thing is a reaction to the AFL's decision to refuse Port the right to wear the prison bar guernsey.

Port - and their fans, of course - argue that the AFL Port is an extension of the Port Adelaide Magpies, and should be able to wear the prison bars except where it clashes with Collingwood.

The AFL disagrees. It sees them as separate - effectively unrelated - entities.

The song is Port's reaction to being forced into this separation.

I can empathise with them to some degree.
Maybe they should just wear prison outfits. Half of their supporters probably already have them.

The song choice doesn't really seem to fit the situation. It's not like the AFL was trying to merge or collapse the club so why sing never tear us apart?

Blue suede shoes is probably a more fitting song

Remove this Banner Ad

Back