Review Dogs 96 def Power 77 - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are over thinking this win compared with the loss against Richmond.

Against Port we kick 15.6. Against Richmond 7.13. Almost identical scoring shots 21 versus 20. A single scoring shot the difference and completely different result.

To win games against top opposition you gots take your chances.

Is it all the players fault? I think not?

Too much coaching is focused on winning contested ball, structure around stoppages, inside 50 entries. Seems the opinion is if you get those right, the goal-kicking will take care of itself.

Well, it doesn't and won't.

There's too many players who are terrible shots for goal, and the coaches seem to brush it off as bad luck or soemthing that will "come good". Its not and won't. Its a skill that needs to be coached and practiced. A lot more than it is.

Dont think you can compare the two games really. We lost the Richmond game because we kicked 2.4 to 9.3 in the second half and didn’t handle their pressure and were too slow to adjust to their tactical moves at half time. They were just as wasteful as us on goal that night and the margin at half time was where it should have been if both teams had been more accurate.

The port game we were challenged, we steadied and then responded. Against the tigers we never got control back. Had very little to do with accuracy on goal. End of the day it was 7.13 to 11.11. If it were 7.13 to 16.6 then you could say accuracy on goal made the difference but not with how it was.

Great to bump into the Bald Eagle after the game. Loves the club and says his boys are massive fans.
Would be a great goal kicking wingman in our team right now.
I had a good chat to Eagle and McMahon prior to the game.

I told Eagle my favourite memory of him is his 2009 SF. He was quick to tell me he had 35 and 3 😂😂

I told McMahon my favourite memory of his was his crucial goal against Adelaide at the MCG in 2006. He knew what I was talking about and told me he was cursing silently at Johnno when he received a handball from the Skipper about 90m from goal, before mentioning Cooney was BOG with five goals.

Great to bump into the Bald Eagle after the game. Loves the club and says his boys are massive fans.
Would be a great goal kicking wingman in our team right now.

Guys like Eagleton, Gilbee and Hargrave would be killing it for us if they were in their prime.

Eight wins one loss. We all should be overjoyed with this result and with our great depth and where we are heading this season. As a passionate supporter I cannot work out some of Bevo's selection (Bevo's lotto) and on the surface it looks like he playing his favourites example Roarke Smith and Gardner. I probably should leave this alone . As other posters have pointed out lets just enjoy the ride.

All coaches have favourites.

Often this can seem unjustified to us as we only generally see game day performance, which is the end product.

The coach sees the player most days, observing work ethic, commitment, and their general contribution and following of the team rules.

I suspect that if you excel at these things, and other values defined by the coaching staff and team, then you get more chances than the players who do not.

You are right. It’s been a great ride so far this season and I feel privileged to be there to witness it.

For a club that prides itself on its own independence and history, its always struck me as odd that this obvious marketing driven ploy was seemingly lifted in its entirety from another sport as a way of contriving a sense of unity...or whatever its supposed to represent.

If it had the slightest whiff of being organic and fan driven, I could understand it, but it clearly wasn't and thus, I don't.

As an aside, it was pretty funny when after the game with Roving Doc. Anthony Scott said that he enjoyed it and that it probably gets the opposition teams going more than Poot. Its a very astute point he makes given they hear it all the time and the mystical powers of running onto the ground to a middling 80's pop song have probably worn off on them by now.
as a former adelaide resident and growing up in a family of port fans i can tell you that it was driven by fans. the crows (and the bulldogs, dont forget our little song in 2016) all tried to do the same thing but it was never embraced like it was by the port faithful. happy to s**t on port at any given moment, but respect where respect is due

Far from perfect and the backline was found out in the Richmond game. Luckily Dixon was garbage on Sat night however coming up against the likes of Geelong with Hawkins & Cameron could see us getting exposed again for lack of height.

Tis all good, we'll have Gardy back by then

Dont think you can compare the two games really. We lost the Richmond game because we kicked 2.4 to 9.3 in the second half and didn’t handle their pressure and were too slow to adjust to their tactical moves at half time. They were just as wasteful as us on goal that night and the margin at half time was where it should have been if both teams had been more accurate.

The port game we were challenged, we steadied and then responded. Against the tigers we never got control back. Had very little to do with accuracy on goal. End of the day it was 7.13 to 11.11. If it were 7.13 to 16.6 then you could say accuracy on goal made the difference but not with how it was.

I respect your opinion but I don't agree.

Richmond cannot play that way for 4 quarters. If we kicked our goals at crucial moments, Richmond were not coming back. There is a mental breaking point and it was about 2 unanswered goals in the first half, and Richmond were done.

People seem to ignore that the game was still alive late when Lipinksky hit the post.

In the Port game if Naughton shanks it like he did against Richmond, if Bonts goal misses like he did, if JJ misses his kick on goal like he's known to do and if Robbie Grey doesn't miss like he usually doesn't miss, its a different result.

When up against top 4 opposition 15.6 is what you need to win. Not 7.13.

At this level taking your chances is everything.

Richmond cannot play that way for 4 quarters. If we kicked our goals at crucial moments, Richmond were not coming back. There is a mental breaking point and it was about 2 unanswered goals in the first half, and Richmond were done.

People seem to ignore that the game was still alive late when Lipinksky hit the post.

In the Port game if Naughton shanks it like he did against Richmond, if Bonts goal misses like he did, if JJ misses his kick on goal like he's known to do and if Robbie Grey doesn't miss like he usually doesn't miss, its a different result.

What if Richmond kicked their first half goals rather than missed. The same goes both ways. If both teams kicked straighter in the first half the half time score would have been very similar we had 4 more shots and we were 19 points up.

100% you need to take your chances and against port we took our chances as did they.

Against Richmond we didn’t take our chance but neither did they. Yes if we took our chances and were 9.5 rather than 5.9 at half time we could have been massively in front, but that’s ignoring the fact Richmond were 2.8 and had they been 8.2 instead it still would have been close.

If one team is accurate and one is inaccurate you can use the if we kicked straight stuff but when both teams have kicked terribly you can’t with out acknowledging it goes both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d really like to see Weightman get a good long string of games even if he has a few quiet ones because I think he’s style of play is what we’ve been missing since the 2016 finals series e.g. Dahlhaus Picken Clay Smith manic forward pressure and goal sense.

I find our forward line is often too selfless and the handballing inside forward 50 can come unstuck.

Weightman is one of few that backs him self to kick the snap goal and have a ping. We need him for that balance.

Naughton is a classic example. He's too unselfish at times when there is moment he should just turn and have a ping. Probably the only thing he could improve upon in his already elite game.

During the 3rd quarter, according to BR, we hadnt had the ball in our half of the ground for over 10 minutes and he was wondering if that was some kind of record. Not inside 50, but in our half of the ground!

That doesnt happen for no reason -- we collectively dropped our bundle. In isolation, its a learning opportunity, we just dont wat to make it a pattern - hammering the opposition for the entire 1st quarter, and then coming out in the 2nd and being surprised that they have upped the ante after a rev up at quarter time.

I do love that we are starting and ending games strongly though.

I find our forward line is often too selfless and the handballing inside forward 50 can come unstuck.

Weightman is one of few that backs him self to kick the snap goal and have a ping. We need him for that balance.

Naughton is a classic example. He's too unselfish at times when there is moment he should just turn and have a ping. Probably the only thing he could improve upon in his already elite game.
Kills me a bit when we don't take a chance close to goal and then handball it back out past 50

What are peoples thoughts on Naughts attending forward 50 stoppages almost like a burst mid?

Better left in the goal square or his athleticism useful in stoppages?
I actually don’t mind him taking a few fwd 50 ruck contests, there was one either this week or last where he jumped right over the top of the oppo and smacked it forward, didn’t work out but he’s so athletic I wouldn’t mind seeing it every now and then, plus his follow up work would be elite and he just becomes another player around the stoppage as soon as he lands. Means Sweet/Martin don’t have to come inside the 50 and can set up in the wall to lock the ball in.

with Timmy back it’s probably not needed too much as he should be doing that role but I’d still like to change it up every now and then with Naughty

What are peoples thoughts on Naughts attending forward 50 stoppages almost like a burst mid?

Better left in the goal square or his athleticism useful in stoppages?
No! No! Send a once in a generation gun forward into the backline to sure it up! SURE UP THE BACKLINE!

I think Naughton may have the best range within which he can track the ball for his marks I’ve ever seen.

by that I mean, the drop zone can be a distance away where defenders assume based on the laws of physics that he is not a threat to mark it.

but Naughts closes thats space so fast that he surprises with his ability to launch at the pill

I LOVE it

you just know whenever he’s anywhere near it with a run at it he is gobbling it up

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back