Opinion Peter Bell - Should get a raise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Be quite neat symmetry really if he resigned as football manager immediately after losing to an Essendon team we should have beat, since he retired as a player immediately after losing to an Essendon team we should have beat.
Pete, if you're reading this, give it some thought

Square Peg

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
wtf guys, sacking people will not improve freo at the moment. long term the only thing that will improve freo is consistently adding players to our young core through the draft.
If Jesse Hogam keeps going at three goals a game for the season, his position is untenable.

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
If Jesse Hogam keeps going at three goals a game for the season, his position is untenable.
I can live with that. I wasn't upset with jesse leaving (based on his output at freo). I knew there was a risk of hogan rediscovering his form at gws. Its happened, i don't think that is a sack-able offense for a football manager.

Imo the real issue was getting jesse hogan in the first place. which was then compounded by him not performing at freo. (which i think is on jesse hogan)

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
Do nothing until the end of the season.

I don't expect finals but I expect improvement. The supporters need optimism for the future and I don't see that at the moment.

If things are the same at seasons end then look at every position.

I'm just sick of the same old s**t. New people are brought in, I become positive. But we just get let down again and again.

But wait until the end of the season. Hopefully it may click before then.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can live with that. I wasn't upset with jesse leaving (based on his output at freo). I knew there was a risk of hogan rediscovering his form at gws. Its happened, i don't think that is a sack-able offense for a football manager.

Imo the real issue was getting jesse hogan in the first place. which was then compounded by him not performing at freo. (which i think is on jesse hogan)

Bell got him in the first place!
Sure there's a school of thought he didn't want to and was overridden by Rosich, but Bell ultimately brought him in at too high a cost, couldn't or wouldn't manage him properly, and then pushed him out two years later for peanuts. Now suddenly Jesse looks like he can perform again and none of it's Bell's fault? You're too nice

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
Bell got him in the first place!
Sure there's a school of thought he didn't want to and was overridden by Rosich, but Bell ultimately brought him in at too high a cost, couldn't or wouldn't manage him properly, and then pushed him out two years later for peanuts. Now suddenly Jesse looks like he can perform again and none of it's Bell's fault? You're too nice
I think the first part is fair. But jesse performing hasn't got a whole lot to do with bell.
However i think the not sacking anybody stance hasn't got a whole lot to do with being nice. I just think sacking people is the wrong move.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the first part is fair. But jesse performing hasn't got a whole lot to do with bell.
However i think the not sacking anybody stance hasn't got a whole lot to do with being nice. I just think sacking people is the wrong move.
lol you support the wrong club then mate.

Sacking high profile people to please fans is like the only KPI we lead the comp in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

summerthebat

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2007
Teenage Mountain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Blaming Bell for recruiting Hogan is revisionist derangement.

Bell had been at the club for 21 days before Hogan was traded. Hogan had been rumoured to have been pursued by the club for the few years prior. Rosich was in charge of list management after Lloyd left. Bell was the only person at the club that had publicly stated Hogan was not wanted.

12 months later Rosich was subsequently sacked, Bell was promoted.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've said this before so if you happened to remember that please forebare: As stalking horse for the board faction who wanted Lyon out Bell should have been liquidated himself in the cleaning up after the assassination. The fact we didn't and having him hanging around stinking out the joint with his moderate talent and lack of industry experience whilst sitting in such an important position is a big risk for the club.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Bell had been at the club for 21 days before Hogan was traded. Hogan had been rumoured to have been pursued by the club for the few years prior. Rosich was in charge of list management after Lloyd left. Bell was the only person at the club that had publicly stated Hogan was not wanted.

Rosich wasn't sacked and Bell wasn't promoted.

Talk about revisionism...

summerthebat

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2007
Teenage Mountain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rosich wasn't sacked and Bell wasn't promoted.

Talk about revisionism...

This does not deserve a reply and I’m actually really annoyed at myself that I just wasted two minutes confirming my post.

Rosich was sacked,

Bell was hired as the general manager football operations, he is now the executive general football manager. He has been promoted.

Paracleet

Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

Surely you can't actually believe that? Nobody (other than evidently total marks) believed, when Bell came out on a Friday with his due diligence stuff, that it was anything other than a negotiation tactic. And on the Monday everyone found out they were right and it was.

When footage of Hogan getting an ARC tour was on the news it wasn't Rosich showing him round was it? It was Belly. All their hands (Lyon, Bell, Rosich and the Board) are dirty with the Hogan deal. However only Bell and the Board are still here to point the finger at.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
This does not deserve a reply and I’m actually really annoyed at myself that I just wasted two minutes confirming my post.

Rosich was sacked,

Bell was hired as the general manager football operations, he is now the executive general football manager. He has been promoted.
Or did Bell white ant Rosich. He's got some form

Paracleet

Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
But its the same role with the word 'executive' in it.

It's in the same place in the org chart, reporting to the same place and with the same roles reporting to it. He hasn't been promoted. He was hired as head of football, he's still head of football.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t stop at Bell! Sack everyone until the club is just Susan in Accounts and Bailey Banfield!!
That Susan does nothing but spread rumours and cause problems - I think if we get rid of her it will eradicate a few of the leaks to the press. Just keep Bailey and rename the club to the Banfield Dockers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back