VFL 2021 VFL R5 v Sydney (Sat 15-May 4.45pm @ SCG) - [kayo]

Remove this Banner Ad

How many touches did McMahon get? I thought he was virtually invisible most of the game
He’s not an option for a senior call up this year regardless, even in a development year. Needs to hit the gym. But he does have a great leap, sticky hands and a long accurate kick for goal. Next year he might be able to hold his position in marking contests more often, and then he won’t be as dependent on quality delivery which we all know he won’t get.

His goal was a joe the goose over the top so I'm not really counting it.

He needs to lift because he's not really VFL standard right now, 1 goal in 5 VFL games
How many 18/19 year old KPP forwards have instant success.
He‘s still learning the craft. Needs time to develop.
His development will no be measured by how many goals he kicks or other stats.
Learning running patterns, getting to contests, body positioning, reading the play etc will be what the coaches are looking at.
The other stuff will then follow (hopefully).

The only example we’ve actually got to go by was the recruiting of Mayne. If I recall correctly, Bucks only had limited input into him being added to the list.

I think Bucks thought we were getting the other M from Freo. Mundy :tonguewink:

How many 18/19 year old KPP forwards have instant success.
He‘s still learning the craft. Needs time to develop.
His development will no be measured by how many goals he kicks or other stats.
Learning running patterns, getting to contests, body positioning, reading the play etc will be what the coaches are looking at.
The other stuff will then follow (hopefully).

I'm not expecting instant success, just hoped he would at least be VFL standard by now

the frightening thing watching this VFL game from my point of view was how similar it played out to the seniors. our game style leaves a free man at the centre contests to take time and send the ball forward under no pressure. Plus the Swans VFL team moved the ball from one end to the other without our guys getting near the ball. ie, so many of our players spend 80pc of matches chasing tail. so draining just to watch.. i as exhausted after the seniors!

Pre-judging players like Rantall is pretty short sighted give no VFL last year and this season only being a handful of games old.
Agree with that. I love the look of Rantall and he is just what we need. He is an in and under player who puts his body on the line, and sacrifices his game for the team. Maybe that's why people think he is not ready. He deserves game time and will definitely make it. His disposal looks awkward, but it is effective, and his decision making is excellent from what i have seen. I believe he is more AFL ready than Bianco.

Bianco I am not sold on. Plenty are impressed with his possession count, but for me he doesn't display great vision at this stage of his career, or his decision making is off. Maybe it is because he doesn't have many options in a losing team, but i am yet to be convinced by him. He needs to hit targets and make the right choices. It also could be lack of football. I do hope he proves me wrong and makes it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not expecting instant success, just hoped he would at least be VFL standard by now
Definitely hope he improves as the year progresses
one thing though - I would hate to be a forward in our seniors or reserves because our structures, game plan and ball movement means our forwards are always outnumbered and copping slow ball movement

No one should be expecting much from a uber skinny KPF in any team coached by Nathan defence at all costs Buckley.
That is such a ridiculous statement, does every post have to be coloured with Buckley bullshit? You're talking about a young kid and you can't help yourself potting the coach about the game plan?

That is such a ridiculous statement, does every post have to be coloured with Buckley bullshit? You're talking about a young kid and you can't help yourself potting the coach about the game plan?

I'm potting the game plan and the coach who implements it, have you seen how we play at VFL its the same disconnect between midfield and f50 as the seniors. Same indirect play. Clearly been drilled into both squads.

So given he is not ready physically to compete and plays for a team where Tony Lockett would struggle for a kick what more do you want me to say?

If the vfl team weren't showing all the same flaws as the afl side I wouldn't of mentioned it...

I'm potting the game plan and the coach who implements it, have you seen how we play at VFL its the same disconnect between midfield and f50 as the seniors. Same indirect play. Clearly been drilled into both squads.

So given he is not ready physically to compete and plays for a team where Tony Lockett would struggle for a kick what more do you want me to say?

If the vfl team weren't showing all the same flaws as the afl side I wouldn't of mentioned it...
When you use a kid to push your naive agenda it's just cringeworthy

What "agenda", you mean speak the truth.

Have you not noticed that you are a lone fish swimming against the tide?

I like that you zero'd in on my Buckley sarcasm rather then the fact I was sticking up for the 'kid'.
When you get Ross Lyon I'm gonna laugh til I cry

Then when I realize I he's my coach too I'm just gonna cry

Then I'm going to blame you and all the NoBuckley's for being dim enough to be stooged by the media and putting us in that position

When you get Ross Lyon I'm gonna laugh til I cry

Then when I realize I he's my coach too I'm just gonna cry

Then I'm going to blame you and all the NoBuckley's for being dim enough to be stooged by the media and putting us in that position

If that's our option might as well stick with Buckley imo that's a zero sum swap.
I guess the only benefit is that a new voice is received by the group.

Unfortunately for you and your agenda I dont blindly hate Buckley, I do however hate his game plan and the way we play. Detest it in fact, most boring team in the comp and can't score.

Any coach will be rebuilding but I just hope we get one with a more assertive game style.

If that's our option might as well stick with Buckley imo that's a zero sum swap.
I guess the only benefit is that a new voice is received by the group.

Unfortunately for you and your agenda I dont blindly hate Buckley, I do however hate his game plan and the way we play. Detest it in fact, most boring team in the comp and can't score.

Any coach will be rebuilding but I just hope we get one with a more assertive game style.
Just keep goosestepping along with the media and I'll ask you if anything has changed when we get a new coach

Just watched the VFL replay. Just a comment on the young players' performances. Macrae was arguably bog for the Pies. Fought hard, got plenty of the ball and used it well. Kelly is improving. Looked good in the first half, but had a few kicked on him. Given the way the ball was coming into the Swans forward line, hard to put blame on him. Rantall played a good running game and also got in and under. Dropped a mark on the half back flank and fumbled which looked ugly, but overall shows he will be a good player. Bianco did some good things, and he needs time to get used to the pace of the game. When he gets the ball, he needs consider options instead of offloading in a panic. Got caught with the ball a couple of times too when he appeared to have options. McMahon worked hard but not one of his better games. But a difficult game for the Collingwood forwards. Ginnivan also did some nice things. Could have had a couple of frees and just looks the goods. Chugg battled hard all day. The defense were under siege for the majority of the game. Given that Sier, McInness, Ruscoe, Lynch, Tohil were all out injured, wasnt such a bad performance.
Of the older brigade, Madgen played well. Cox was disappointing but again a tough day for Pies forwards.
So in summary, the players under consideration for promotion to the ALF this week based on their performance in this game? I would pick just Macrae and Madgen. I want to see Rantall given a game again soon. And I just like Ginnivan and would love to see him in soon too.

Just keep goosestepping along with the media and I'll ask you if anything has changed when we get a new coach

Mate the media gets half its stuff from bf what you talking about.

When we get a new coach and he has 3 to 4 years to mould it and drill a new game plan then I'll give you an answer.

Why can't one of the games greatest ever mids fix our center clearances? Or fix the connection between grundy and mids? Or the connection between midfield/hbf and forward line?
Get fwds to not come down the field as far to prevent being caught out on turn over?
Have fp who get front and square and rove the spills?
Have fwds who lead consistently and often?

All are long standing issues under Buckley and have been for many years.

Mate the media gets half its stuff from bf what you talking about.

When we get a new coach and he has 3 to 4 years to mould it and drill a new game plan then I'll give you an answer.

Why can't one of the games greatest ever mids fix our center clearances? Or fix the connection between grundy and mids? Or the connection between midfield/hbf and forward line?
Get fwds to not come down the field as far to prevent being caught out on turn over?
Have fp who get front and square and rove the spills?
Have fwds who lead consistently and often?

All are long standing issues under Buckley and have been for many years.
It's just mindless to blame him when others destroyed the list and the cap while we were in the window, they cost us a minimum of 1 flag maybe 2

But lets blame Bucks because that sells papers and people need simple solutions

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back